Give me one GOOD reason not to jump ship... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Give me one GOOD reason not to jump ship...

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #61
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Ok, late night, Hutch can't sleep 'cuz of ruptured disc pain rant.
1) I want to copy your color scheme cuz it looks very cool. A fine looking machine sir.
2 No more "Jeep (rather CJ) wave".
3) Value will likely only increase.
4) Long winters for wrenching up there. But I do like those spare toilet paper covers you've said you always wanted to learn how to knit. (sarcasm)
5) As lucdog said, 2k for a mid-line lift???? And mucho more work installing.
6) Didn't somebody offer you a 304? FREE!
7) We are really just custodians of these classics.
8) I REALLY wish I kept my NT axles!
9) Tear it down and do it the way that would make you happiest. V8, stick etc..w/o a timeline, but a progressive, measurable and realistic timeline.
10) Air pressure sensor lights that NEVER go out!
I went through the same thing w/Brit cars @ 16-18, before my CJ.
Sonny Barger, founder of the "Hells Angels" was quoted in his book, IIRC..."With all the miles we do, the way some dealers treat us, we should be riding BMWs". "But there's just something that people dig about that V-Twin sound that chicks dig!". So there's your cover for a newer jeep!
Sometimes when I'm on a Harley going down a back road, I wonder about a guy on basically the same machine riding along ....just like me. I feel a connection to those old guys and the same sounding Machine. Was he a WW2 vet returning home after 4 years away. A guy thinking about the engagement ring in his pocket, and that honey at the end of this road.
When I'm creeping along a trail in my CJ, rutted up by wagons eons ago, I imagine a GI getting a load of ammo "to the front" in practically the same basic buggy. Or maybe a trapper or syrup gatherer in the '50s? Did a father & son drive a Willys wagon over this power line on their 1st hunt? A young man looking for solitude while he opened the letter from the draft board?
Harley and CJs just have soul. And infinitely rebuildable too. I can change the speedo cluster, but 25 years from now rewiring a new jeep dash? Peshaw! Maybe soul comes from memories that YOU make in a vehicle that belongs to YOU! Are the locking hubs and balky T-case lever part of a ritual, not to be replaced by the turn of a knob? Not a lot of changes to the untrained eye. The simplicity is the beauty.....and the beast.
Good luck in your decision. One I wouldn't want to make. Keep in mind, even Ron Jeremy has a bad day too!
On the bright side, your keeping it in the family, 4wd vehicle wise.
At least we won't be seeing you on that new show "Quear Eye for the Toyota FJ Guy" NTTIAWWT
Sorry to ramble on. I know it didn't make a lot of sense, but I tried to convey a sense of Nostalgia that I've found in owning my '79 since '84. I likely failed and made myself a fool again. If you do understand it, I can give you my Therapist and Analysts' phone numbers! Just don't tell them I referred you

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #62
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

^^ Good Stuff, Right There...!!
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #63
RoytheBoy

When I get a bit dispondant about my CJ and the money I've spent (and still need to spend) I either read the CJ forum or walk past the parking lot where I keep the car. it cheers me up . Plus its the looks you get driving around (NYC) and the comments you get (like in the gas station) that makes it all worth it.
RoytheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #64
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
To be honest, I started this thread out of complete and utter frustration with my CJ.

I doubt I could ever sell it. Even if I did get something else, I'd probably keep it. No one wants to beat the crap out of something they are making payments on, right??

I seem to have gotten over my initial frustration somewhat, but this is all good discussion....
HAPPY TO READ THIS!

I've sworn at my CJ and I've sworn by it too. And as others have posted, there are people out there who just wouldn't understand...

We ALL share your pain.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #65
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Once I get past my current issue with the Jeep and get it running properly I will still have what seems to be one of the least desirable models of CJ7's:

1979 = NT Axles
258 I6 = no V8 power
TH400 Automatic = ugh (definitely strong, though)
Quadratrac = ugh (I know, love 'em or hate 'em...)

As far as I am aware, neither the Trans or Tcase can be swapped out individually without an expensive adapter.

I guess that's what you end up with when you buy a Jeep with next to no knowledge of them....

[EDIT]
Oh yeah.... And every GD thing seems to be leaking all of a sudden.....
Windknot, I think I see signs of him drifting. We may need to intervene with more counseling. Hutch did a good job of trying to pull him back into the fold.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #66
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Made sense to me hutch, except for that NNTIAWWT part! ...and I like old Toyo FJ's.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #67
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Made sense to me hutch, except for that NNTIAWWT part! ...and I like old Toyo FJ's.
"Not that there is anything wrong with that" (Sienfeld). I spelled the contraction wrong. WOW! I just picked Toyo 'cuz I needed a bad guy. And I haven't slept since Sunday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.