Give me one GOOD reason not to jump ship... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Give me one GOOD reason not to jump ship...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #46
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

I've had a CJ5, CJ7, TJ, and now I'm back to a CJ7. :-D The TJ was a better "car", but there is nothing else quite like the sound of my CJ7's 304. Like posted earlier, I bought a CJ7 that someone had dumped a lot of money in, so I started off with something that wasn't a complete project to begin with, and its a reliable daily driver.

As far as enjoyment of driving, I'll take the CJ all day. People don't look twice at another TJ unless you dump a TON of money into it, but my CJ turns heads everywhere.... especially when I crank it up. VROOM VROOM.

Luis

Jeeper44mag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #47
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
I'm really considering ditching the CJ and moving up to a TJ...

Tired of having a Jeep I spend more time working on than driving, and more money fixing than filling.

I've had this thing 3 years and have put MAYBE 1000 miles on it, including miles towed to the off road park....

Thoughts...?
You have to be a Jeeper at heart and not everybody can be. That's why they make other vehicles like the cherokee, samurai, wrangler, hummer, etc. You can still go off road, but you can do it with modern comfort and gagetry.

Jeeps are a historic vehicle frozen in time 27 years ago (at minimum for the newest), so with time comes the issues of age. But it's the love of that vehicles reputation, history, and simplicity that keeps us tolerating it's qwerks and ailments. Just as fans of corvettes, muscle cars, studebakers, vw's, landcruisers, broncos, etc; it's part of the package, a necessary evil.

Theres nothing wrong going to a more modern type vehicle, but as was said, "all the cool guys drive Jeeps".

ps. Please do the cool crowd a favor and only sell it to a worthy new owner who won't squander an iconic legend.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #48
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think you're confusing CJ's/TJ's/YJ's

A CJ can be less work than a TJ, or a YJ, and all vise versa.

The best advice I can give you in getting a Jeep that you won't work on allot would be to buy a Bare Bones, stock, unmolested machine that still has it's stock 205 tires on it. Thats the best luck I've ever had. On my recent CJ7, I've put $100 in repairs to it over 1.5 Yrs that I've had it now. The TJ I now own, bone stock when I bought it as well, still haven't had an issue with it over the month or so I've had it.

The lifted Machine I had before the two, that came w/ 33's and had been a toy for someone, I had sunk at least 2-3k into, plus many hours un-doing what others had done to it to fix it correctly. Still a sweet Jeep though! But you can build any jeep like that.

Now in terms of the two, I love them all. CJ, YJ, TJ - they're all sweet. CJ is still my favorite, just got a TJ because the price was right and it was a nice Jeep while I was out looking for something to drive as I rebuild the CJ.
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #49
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudman5703 View Post
I think you're confusing CJ's/TJ's/YJ's
A lot of folks do that. One IS a Jeep. The other two are made by a company called jeep.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #50
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
A lot of folks do that. One IS a Jeep. The other two are made by a company called jeep.
Haha
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

To be honest, I started this thread out of complete and utter frustration with my CJ.

I doubt I could ever sell it. Even if I did get something else, I'd probably keep it. No one wants to beat the crap out of something they are making payments on, right??

I seem to have gotten over my initial frustration somewhat, but this is all good discussion....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
Acidhouse
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm actually contemplating doing the opposite. I had my TJ for seven years and sold it a year and a half ago. I am thinking of buying a CJ-5 as my next Jeep. What I will say about my TJ is that I loved it. In seven years and approximately 70K in added miles, I never once had to put in a dime that wasn't considered regularly scheduled maintenance and if I subtract out oil changes and the like, any other repairs, all totaled during that seven year period were less than a grand, (i.e. belts etc.) Also for the record, I actually was asked what year my TJ was. I was coming back from a mountain trip and guy pulled up next to me in a 70s truck. He asked me how old the TJ was and I told him '97. He didn't know much about Jeeps and couldn't tell a 70s CJ from a 90's TJ. Unless you are into Jeeps, most can't. I have pointed out CJs to my wife for years and she still can't tell a CJ from a TJ. I give her a 50/50 shot on getting a YJ right because of the headlights.

If I love the TJ so much, why not go back to a TJ? Two reasons, one is that they are more than I want to spend right now but the other is that I really do want a more authentic Jeep experience. It may be that after a year or so it's a little too authentic and I go back to a TJ but for now, I want to go a little less safe route. My dad had a CJ7 Laredo years ago and it was that Jeep that gave me my love of Jeeps so I figure it would be good to go the CJ route.

To the orginal poster, I think a TJ is an awesome Jeep. It can perform like a Jeep when it needs to be a Jeep and it can give you some comfort over a CJ. I don't think adding comfort when Jeep function isn't being sacrificed is a bad thing.

Last, the other thing I loved about my TJ is that I treated it like a Jeep. I didn't care what it looked like and I didn't care if it got scratched or dinged. A buddy of mine had owned a Jeep in the past and showed up when I was still driving my TJ. He told me that I was going to be very jealous. He walked me out to the parking lot and he had a brand new JK. This would have been the first year that they were out. It had four doors, leather seats, a GPS system, and a killer sound system. Heck, I think the seats may have even been heated. To be polite, I oo'd and ah'd. I asked him whether he would feel comfortable leaving the top down. He told me a definite "no." He also told me that he only wanted to use it for special occasions such as going downtown to see a show with his wife. I pretended to be but I wasn't jealous. Can a JK function as well as any other Jeep, I'm sure but being worried about hurting the leather seats or the GPS getting rained on or worried about the killer stereo system getting stolen seemed like losing some Jeep experience to me. It's not a dig at JKs or their owners. Just seemed to detract from the general fun of owning a Jeep. There are plenty of TJ owners that are probably in the same boat but I wasn't one of them. I treated my TJ like a Jeep and it treated me well in return.
Red Jeep Member #231
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #53
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I'll address these

What do you know about fuel injection?
Have you priced lift kits for a TJ?
Support. Yes there are more bolt on parts.

Have a look under any New York 97 to 2000 TJ. I've have a friend with a '99, 120,000 miles, the bottom of the frame is rusted worse than any CJ I've seen.

Google : OPDA, ( oil pump drive assembly) '05 and '06 Jeep problems.

I get 16.4 mpg with my '05 rubicon, 11 with my '78 DD , with the 304. Id rather drive the CJ. No one ever asked "hey, what year is that TJ.

To much plastic, but the AC is kick a$$.

Personally I'd rather put dents and scratches on my $3000 CJ than my $16,000 Rubicon,

And what's up with the useless tail door on YJ's and TJ's ? There useless. I'll take a tailgate any day.

2 words> Dana 35!
Also the front axle doesn't have lockouts. This means the U-joints in the axle shafts and front drive shaft are turning whenever the Jeep is moving.

Hard tops.
The top on my '78 is nearly twice as thick as the '05. Even with these ribs it still vibrates at speed.

Attachment 641020

Door latches. The paddles on a TJ are reversed on TJ hard doors. This is a pain. Think about it, you walk up with your key in your right hand to unlock the door, the left hand doesn't work as well to open the door.

Attachment 641022

I drive this TJ 3 or 4 times a week, still not used to it.

Soft tops are nicer on a TJ .

Haha, what the heck are these for.

Attachment 641024

The sticker is nice .

Attachment 641025

Ask anyone with a TJ about fuel spraying from the filler when the auto stop shuts off from the nozzle. Ha, the only 2 fixes are a new tank (same issue down the road) or the filler tube from a S10 blazer.

So, TJ's aren't without their problems.

Bill
If I were buying a TJ I'd only go after an 06 if you like a manual trans. The six speed is wonderful but some of the 05 ones had issues w/ shift rails that were too thin and bent easily. The OPDA stuff is a legit issue (mine gets noisy every winter on startup) but there's aftermarket ones out now that address the root problem.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #54
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidhouse View Post
I'm actually contemplating doing the opposite. I had my TJ for seven years and sold it a year and a half ago. I am thinking of buying a CJ-5 as my next Jeep. What I will say about my TJ is that I loved it. In seven years and approximately 70K in added miles, I never once had to put in a dime that wasn't considered regularly scheduled maintenance and if I subtract out oil changes and the like, any other repairs, all totaled during that seven year period were less than a grand, (i.e. belts etc.) Also for the record, I actually was asked what year my TJ was. I was coming back from a mountain trip and guy pulled up next to me in a 70s truck. He asked me how old the TJ was and I told him '97. He didn't know much about Jeeps and couldn't tell a 70s CJ from a 90's TJ. Unless you are into Jeeps, most can't. I have pointed out CJs to my wife for years and she still can't tell a CJ from a TJ. I give her a 50/50 shot on getting a YJ right because of the headlights.

If I love the TJ so much, why not go back to a TJ? Two reasons, one is that they are more than I want to spend right now but the other is that I really do want a more authentic Jeep experience. It may be that after a year or so it's a little too authentic and I go back to a TJ but for now, I want to go a little less safe route. My dad had a CJ7 Laredo years ago and it was that Jeep that gave me my love of Jeeps so I figure it would be good to go the CJ route.

To the orginal poster, I think a TJ is an awesome Jeep. It can perform like a Jeep when it needs to be a Jeep and it can give you some comfort over a CJ. I don't think adding comfort when Jeep function isn't being sacrificed is a bad thing.

Last, the other thing I loved about my TJ is that I treated it like a Jeep. I didn't care what it looked like and I didn't care if it got scratched or dinged. A buddy of mine had owned a Jeep in the past and showed up when I was still driving my TJ. He told me that I was going to be very jealous. He walked me out to the parking lot and he had a brand new JK. This would have been the first year that they were out. It had four doors, leather seats, a GPS system, and a killer sound system. Heck, I think the seats may have even been heated. To be polite, I oo'd and ah'd. I asked him whether he would feel comfortable leaving the top down. He told me a definite "no." He also told me that he only wanted to use it for special occasions such as going downtown to see a show with his wife. I pretended to be but I wasn't jealous. Can a JK function as well as any other Jeep, I'm sure but being worried about hurting the leather seats or the GPS getting rained on or worried about the killer stereo system getting stolen seemed like losing some Jeep experience to me. It's not a dig at JKs or their owners. Just seemed to detract from the general fun of owning a Jeep. There are plenty of TJ owners that are probably in the same boat but I wasn't one of them. I treated my TJ like a Jeep and it treated me well in return.
I think a little bit of "Jeep" is lost with each new generation. I always blame chrysler when *****ing about it, but it's really more society and the bs govt regulations that steer the design.

With the new "Jeeps" everyone wants to look rugged and tough, while at the same time they want to be comfortable and covered in plastic. They want the image, without actually living up to it.

My two kids can pick out a post AMC Jeep from 2 blocks away, and always have some snide remark about "crappy new jeeps" when they see one. They're 8 and 9, and they're both girls.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some YJs and TJ's that I've thought were pretty sweet looking, just like I see Land Rovers and other heavily modded 4x4's that I like, but I don't consider any of them a Jeep, they're just neat, heavily modded 4x4's.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #55
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I hate to jinx myself, but my CJ is just fine, but it's because I have persistently replaced seals and defective parts, and upgraded to the YJ suspension and MPFI.
Otherwise, I think I'd be thinking about a newer model, but there's just something about a robust, old-school CJ with a steel tub that just can't be duplicated.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #56
TraditionalCJ
1972 CJ5 

My girl friend drives a TJ …. I drive a CJ with a SBC
IMO the TJ is a gutless pig and not a real jeep.
I honestly don’t know what people are going to do when they get old and all the emissions stuff starts dieing not to mention all the plastic.
Old stuff for me is were its at … you can actually work on it and change it if you want, (as long as its pre smog).
On the other hand I hate dodges so ………………
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #57
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

People own Jeeps because they are seeking a certain experience. If a CJ fulfills that desire, Great! If the CJ experience ceases to fulfill that desire (it's not fun anymore)- MOVE ON.

If you see owning a CJ as "keeping the faith" or "preserving a real Jeep"; that's cool. But if you HATE your current vehicle, whatever that vehicle may be, why continue to suffer in that vehicle/person relationship?

This isn't a discussion about the traits of one model vs. another. This is a discussion about when is the right time to change vehicles.

For the record, I think CJ's are awesome. I drive a TJ because I couldn't find a good CJ that was unmolested, in my price range and not a total basket case. I will not drive a JK because, for me it is too far removed from the essence of a Jeep.

wm69 hit it on the head, "I think a little bit of "Jeep" is lost with each new generation...."

Sometimes you have to find that practical middle ground, for me at THIS POINT in my life, it's a TJ. Maybe someday I'll be able to get that CJ that fulfills that desire.

By the way, one of the best cars that I ever owned had a three speed on the column, unassisted drum brakes, no power anything and no carpet. (and it wasn't a Jeep!)
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #58
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The way I see it, after you first buy a used vehicle, you will be spending a lot of money here and there getting it to how you like it and fixing the neglect that the PO(s) left on it. I bought mine from a guy who put a lot of time and money into it and kept it stock other than the 'glass tub, fenders, and smaller steering wheel. I got lucky on it I feel. I have DD it since I bought it and drove it home. Since then, in the last 5 or 6 years I have had it, I had to replace the T150 (lost 2nd gear), rear axle (left outer wheel bearing failure, bent axle shaft), a new TDK galvanized frame (new springs, brake lines, bushings at this time too), and the rusted out windshield frame. I have since swapped in P/S and P/B, only for the ease and comfort, and new Corbeau seats for the back support on long drives - half back seats are not comfortable to me after an hour driving! I have done little things here and there, but those are just to personalize it.

Once you have the quirks fixed and using reliable quality parts, you will not have to put a lot into it once it is running. I think a lot of times people let them sit too long and then gripe of leaking seals and other issues. Like I said, I DD mine all year. The Bestop is getting rough, I have put a lot of extra time and even more money into rust prevention, and I do have maintenance items like valve cover gaskets that show up every once in a while, but otherwise I would not think twice about jumping in and driving it out West. I have done a 10 hour trip to TN/GA once. I want to take it to Gettysburg next time we go, and I just love the thought of traveling in it. It is as reliable as my fiance's 06 Liberty to me.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #59
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Once I get past my current issue with the Jeep and get it running properly I will still have what seems to be one of the least desirable models of CJ7's:

1979 = NT Axles
258 I6 = no V8 power
TH400 Automatic = ugh (definitely strong, though)
Quadratrac = ugh (I know, love 'em or hate 'em...)

As far as I am aware, neither the Trans or Tcase can be swapped out individually without an expensive adapter.

I guess that's what you end up with when you buy a Jeep with next to no knowledge of them....

[EDIT]
Oh yeah.... And every GD thing seems to be leaking all of a sudden.....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #60
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Once I get past my current issue with the Jeep and get it running properly I will still have what seems to be one of the least desirable models of CJ7's:

1979 = NT Axles
258 I6 = no V8 power
TH400 Automatic = ugh (definitely strong, though)
Quadratrac = ugh (I know, love 'em or hate 'em...)

As far as I am aware, neither the Trans or Tcase can be swapped out individually without an expensive adapter.

I guess that's what you end up with when you buy a Jeep with next to no knowledge of them....

[EDIT]
Oh yeah.... And every GD thing seems to be leaking all of a sudden.....
It still sounds to me like you are looking for permission to move on. I believe you are unhappy with your CJ7. If it's no longer fun why continue with the source of your frustration? It's not like you're married to it!

Now, not to confuse things too much, but.....
Narrow Track is not the end of the world
I think the 258ci (4.2L) inline six was a good motor and I'd take it over a V-8 ANY day. (good low end torque, less expensive to maintain and operate, simple to work on) The 4.0L six was better but only in terms of fuel & ignition systems.
That TH400 is one of the toughest auto tranny's ever made, I know, I abused more than one. You can break it but you really have to try hard.
The Quadratrac for that year should be a BW1339 with a low range. They're hard on gas but fairly strong and not a bad system when coupled with an automatic.

The fact that you mentioned those things just reinforces my opinion that you are looking for an OK to move on to another vehicle.
Good luck and stop kicking yourself.
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.