Give me one GOOD reason not to jump ship... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Give me one GOOD reason not to jump ship...

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

ive had my old 55 for almost 20 years and have to say 98% of the work ive done was to improve it. i think we have all had one of those vech that your always spending money on it and most of the time it is better to get rid of it. unless you go over the whole jeep and check everything out and then know what its going to need.

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #32
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
What's wheeling?

My CJ has seen a trail once tho seasonal far- trailered to it.

And twice last season, again trailered
This is like buying a boat and scuba gear to scuba dive in Florida, once a year. You need to consider abandoning the whole "off road" thing or relocate.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #33
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
This is like buying a boat and scuba gear to scuba dive in Florida, once a year...
Not even close. unless you are referring to used, rusted air tanks and a boat with a hole in the hull.

There is plenty of scuba diving to be had in Florida.....

The issue is dependability, not proximity.....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #34
wm69

Buddy of mine had an 02 TJ. He said it had a vibration at about 55mph. I crawled underneath it and looked, and yep! There's your problem.

The skid had busted loose on the passenger side due to rust. The whole drivetrain was hanging out. He had some angle iron welded in to hold it up, and I told him he better do the other side too. Don't know if he did or not.

The underside of that thing looked as rusty as any CJ frame I've seen, and it was 10 years old.

Keep your CJ, and buy a comfortable DD.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Have a good DD. 30 mpg +/-

But who wants to ride in a CAR with a ROOF in the summer???

lol
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
wm69

Quote:

lol
TJ = CAR

Jeeps are supposed to be rough riding, uncomfortable, and spartan.

They're like crazy women. You know they're crazy, but it's part of what makes them fun. You get a TJ, you're going to get bored.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme

lol
Someone who doesn't own a CJ! In all seriousness though, owning a CJ I think is a hobby all in itself. You can have a Jeep hobby or an off road hobby but the CJ experience is in a class of its own. Preserving a legend! I always joke around by saying, if I ever feel like wrenching on my CJ I just go drive it for a while. There will be something to tweak or fix when I'm done. Do what makes you happy. Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

If you want reliability, get a newer TJ. After all a CJ will be at least 27 years old. If you want a classic and reliability, and you have a clean CJ to start with (not from the rust belt) spend some dough and do a body off restoration where you can replace worn parts and then dump in a newer FI, computer controlled motor/tranny combo. Then you will have a classic that will get you anywhere, anytime. And you will spend less than half the cost of a new ride. Keep your DD car for long trips.
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
tbart16
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a TJ that was completly over the top built and I honestly got tired of it, it was so big my wife would not drive it and even my dad was not fond of the soft suspension and 7" of lift. I had bought it in hopes that she would use it occasionally ,but she drove it once in 3 years so I sold it. I then got the itch again for a CJ which is what I had before the TJ and i honestly could not be happier. There is something about a CJ taking pride in a vehicle that you can wrench on and build to your personal taste, put there is also a time when you have to throw in the towel. the TJ was ultra reliable very drivable with lockers and 35" tires it would easily keep up in traffic on the interstate. The CJ is reliable but it is a CJ with its loose steering and bouncy bouncy suspension.
Good Luck
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
Joe73CJ5
1973 CJ5 

I think you need to find a good tech that knows older vehicles. This person will be able to get the cj in working order so you have a baseline to work with. Once you have the baseline, then it won't be bad for you. I would believe it would be cheaper than getting another TJ. Once you start down the rabbit hole and you dont really know what you doing, no disrespect, it can get crazy.IMHO
Joe73CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Well, BYE
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
That was sarcasm....
Sarcasm accepted.

FWIW, my 75 is pretty reliable now. Wasn't always so but then any problem you can write a check to solve is not a problem - it is an expense.

IMO you can buy a newer style jeep for $xx or make an old one reliable for about the same $xx.
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
wvrefugee
1979 CJ7 

AND.....all the cool kids have CJ's!!
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #44
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There's no denying the appeal of a CJ: The simplicity, the nostalgia, the camaraderie, the rust, the flooding carburetor.........ah, good times; but I digress. We do this stuff because IT IS FUN! When it ceases to be fun, why do it?
CJ's can be great "fun" vehicles. That fun can be from restoring them, driving them or some combination of tinkering and driving. But if you start to hate it, move on. It's a thing not a commitment.
I have a TJ because I want a fun vehicle. I've done the one barrel carburetor, 3-speed non-synchronized 1st gear, manual steering, all drum brake thing. Loved it; don't want to do anymore. Not saying there's anything wrong if you want the CJ experience and it's highly likely that someday I'll want to return to that myself.
Cheers.
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #45
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I joined the "I'll have both" club. I guess I'm lucky because Ive been driving CJs for about 22 years. They have been very reliable and run nice. I got the TJ for the MPFI, airbags, coils, and available parts OEM and aftermarket. I will still own and drive the classic CJ.

This may not appy for the OP...but Ive found that in a lot of cases, when a CJ is purchase as a fixer upper OR for a low price (under 3 grand), the new owner dumps a ton of time and cash into it and gets burned out. Ive seen more than a few basket cases have 4 times their value put into fixing them only to be sold to the next guy at a fraction of the investment when in fact 90% of the Jeep is now new or complete. The PO just thinks, that's it, no more....
I did the opposite and paid 8 grand for mine in 1991....enjoyed it for 160K more miles and many many years....
Not to sound like a vulture, but that is what I was looking for when we bought ours, a project that had tons of money dumped in it for pennies on the dollar. My PO burned out (lucky for me) late in the game, wanted a new bike, so I got our Jeep for what he paid for the axles, lockers, disc swap, drivelines and transmission. The guy had all the reciepts and I was blown away at what this stuff costs. Of course, I dumped my required $$ deposit into it as well. That said, I would probably never stump up the money to do a SBC swap or lockers or even a winch.

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.