getting to spindle nut.?. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > getting to spindle nut.?.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

getting to spindle nut.?.

I'm trying to pull the front hubs off my '78 CJ7 to replace the rotars. I've removed the snap-ring and Warn locking-hub body. Now there is a smooth ring that is preventing me from getting to the outer spindle nut and washer. This ring has several holes, and two of the holes have allen screws that appear to do dothing more that back up to what should be the spindle nut. This ring won't budge, and removing the screws had no effect. It appears to have been damaged around the holes before I got to it. I assume this is not the spindle nut, though I expected to see the nut in this location (hex-sided of course). Not sure why it's there since it's not in any diagrams I've found.

Any ideas? Help would be appreciated!

Here's a pic of the 'ring' I'm referring to:

spindle.jpg  

Last edited by CALOcruiser; 03-29-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: added a picture
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

A picture would really help!
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

look now, I was just loading one when you replied.
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

That is the spindle nut. It is a special one that came with the warn hubs. Once you remove the set screws then take a screw driver and put it in one of the empty holes and tap it with a hammer it will come loose. Under it is a washer, that is keyed to the hub, that has holes in it that the set tighten into to keep the nut from spinning.
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

okay, that makes sense. That also explains why the holes are damaged. The PO installed the Warn hubs, and no diagram I found pictured the nuts like that.

Thanks!

Last edited by CALOcruiser; 03-30-2010 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: read previous post
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Actually you can get the spindle nut socket at any auto parts store its a 4 prong and cost about 20 dollars you will need it to torque it back on IRRC the inner one(the one with the pin then washer) is torqued 35 LBS and the outer 85-135 LBS.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

im going to follow the instructions in this thread when i do my bearings and brakes this weekend. maybe it will help some. keep us posted.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fr...change-821148/

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Yeah, I expected to need the spindle nut socket to remove and re-install the hub. I have one from a friend, but it's the hex-type like pictured in the above link regarding bearing replacement. However, it seems this won't work for the nuts with the premium Warn hubs, which I have. Didn't know that until now.

The posts I've read said DO NOT use a hammer and flat-head to remove the nuts since you can damage them. The last guy obviously did this and marred the holes pretty bad. It looks like the socket will need prongs (like 'gmakra' mentioned) to fit in the holes that are now screwed up. Probably won't fit now, and will need new ones once they come off. besides, my hammer won't provide accurate torque to re-install the current trashed ones. Since these hold on the wheels and protect the bearings, I want the torque to be correct.

Another great post is this one for replacing most everything in the front-end:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wa...5/#post6395695

Last edited by CALOcruiser; 03-30-2010 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: omission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.