Getting rid of end play on amc 20 axle (HELP!!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Getting rid of end play on amc 20 axle (HELP!!)

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-11-2002, 09:08 AM   #1
Bryan L.

Getting rid of end play on amc 20 axle (HELP!!)

right side has one shim ( no way of measureing) But maybe a .005, the left side had the same sized shim and the backing plate and drum rubbed when I'd turn right. Do I add or take away shims?

Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 09:45 AM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What are you doing? Putting in new axles? new bearings? new seals?

I got new one piece Genuine Gear axles for my AMC20 and it had instructions for the shimming and the tolerances. I don't have the instructions with me because a friend of mine is using them to install the axles at his work.

If you are just installing new bearings, or new seals, you shouldn't have to worry. Just press it all together and you should be done. If you have something rubbing, you probably didn't seat the bearing all the way down, or you pressed it on too far. I remember reading in my axle instructions not to press the bearing past the raised part of axle. That is where the seals goes.
Unread 08-11-2002, 10:58 AM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Re: Getting rid of end play on amc 20 axle (HELP!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan L.
right side has one shim ( no way of measureing) But maybe a .005, the left side had the same sized shim and the backing plate and drum rubbed when I'd turn right. Do I add or take away shims?
Bryan,
I understand the left brake is the one thats rubbing. How much clearance is there between the right backing plate and drum? If there is sufficient room between the right drum and backing plate I would take the shim from the right side and put it on the left side thereby allowing the left axle to stick out further but you will only be gaining .005". Did you check your total axle shaft end play? Jack both rear wheels off the ground and check it with a dial indicator. My 80 CJ manual says there should be between .004 to .008 endplay with .006 being desireable. I guess it may be difficult to get an accurate actual reading if you have interference with that brake drum. Hope this helps.
80cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #4
Bryan L.

I put in new seals, bearings, and one new hub. (we destroyed the other one trying to get it off.) When we pulled every thing apart the left side had 1 thick shim and 2 real thin shims and the right side had 1 thick shim. When we put it back together I didn't put the 2 thin shims back in becuase they were rusty. They were so thin that I didn't think it mattered that the weren't in there. I have 3 new shims that parts place let me have, they are the thick ones. (I have no way of measuring the shims) Should I add theseto the left side? What is definition of end play? I"M STUPID Thanks for all the help!!!!
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 02:24 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Bryan

With the rearend of the Jeep off the ground and wheels off do the following:

1. Make sure the brakes are not dragging. Adjust the shoes so they don't contact the drums or remove the drums.

2. Push in and out on one axle. There should be a very slight amount of play. This play is the "end play".

One more thing comes to mind. the service manual says that when you install a new hub, the hub is properly installed when the hub is 1 5/16 inch in from the end of the axle. Did you check this measurement? I don't know if it is possible to screw the hub in further than this but if it is in more than 1 5/16 inch then that may be your problem.

If you need to talk send me a private message with your phone number and I would be happy to give you a call.
80cj is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.