Getting Closer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Getting Closer

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Go3Win8
1979 CJ5 

Getting Closer

Things are taking shape. I still have a headache from the primer fumes. I think, or it might be the coors light. I started with a rusty 31 year old daily mudder. I would say, from the mud that was in every nook and cranny. Every time you would touch it, It would drop sand on the floor. After a day of under the jeep work it looked like you rolled in a sand pile.

Here's the progress

The next step I guess i'll put the upol raptor inside. Let me know what you think.

Go3Win8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Wow, that's nice! Just so you can keep up the practice/good work, you want to do mine next?
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Go3Win8
1979 CJ5 

lol. I'm about to pull my hair out with this one. I think i should have found a tub. I want to be done already. I started all this on thanksgiving weekend. It has taken all my spare time.
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

I can imagine...All I did with mine was replace the rusted out rocker panels, filled in the fuel filler hole (got a fuel cell behind the seats). After that, I primed and painted it. That looks great, though!
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

How much did all the pieces run you instead of buying a tub?

You've done a great job... it looks amazing. I used herculiner on the inside of mine and I found it was one of the best things I did. I hear raptor is a good product also, you won't regret lining the inside.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Go3Win8
1979 CJ5 

I had close to 1000.00 in panels including shipping and new front fenders. At the time i couldn't find a used tub. On the upside I think I could now weld two pieces of paper together. lol.
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
nitor
1985 CJ7 

Lots of work! Good job!

Jim

1985 CJ7
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go3Win8 View Post
I had close to 1000.00 in panels including shipping and new front fenders. At the time i couldn't find a used tub. On the upside I think I could now weld two pieces of paper together. lol.
Well I look at it this way.. for $1,000 and some time, you got a brand new tub with fenders. As opposed to spending $700-$900 on a used tub. I know most of the YJ tubs are in much better shape but they still wouldn't be in a condition that yours is now.

Not only did the time you spent reward you with a better jeep, you also know your rig like the back of your hand now.. which is important. And you also improved your welding capabilities.

You are definitely ahead of the game here.. again great job!

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
1976j10
1976 J-Series Truck 

Looks as good as a new tub.
1976j10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This gives me hope!!! I just cut the flooring out of mine, and am looking forward to getting time to start welding the new flooring in!!! I hope mine ends up half as nice as yours!!! Good work, thanks for the motivation and inspiration!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Go3Win8
1979 CJ5 

Thanks Guys. I still have a fair bit to do. I hope I can paint it ok. I bought a new concours gun from eastwood. I'm gonna take my time and hopefully it'll turn out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.