Getting CJ5 road worthy! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Getting CJ5 road worthy!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Getting CJ5 road worthy!

Basically I built this jeep in high school back 2002 through 2004 and drove the piss out of it till around '07ish. In '07 I parked it in my garage and let it sit for about 6 years. I pulled it out last year and got it running for my wedding. Used it in my wedding and started kind of driving it again. How ever, the jeep is in major need of some work. The rear axle housing was cracked on the pass side outer bearing area. Got new to me wide track axles and swapped them out. Started driving it around and realized that either I was really ignorant when I was younger or this thing has deteriorated while sitting in my garage. I made a list of to-do's for my jeep and every time I take it for a spin or get under it- it seems to grow. How ever I am going to start a thread so that I can get advice and tips from fellow cj'ers as I go.

Below is my list of stuff to buy, do myself, or wish list (already gave it to the wife to start Christmas shopping from). I started this list last week in excel spread:

CJ 5 TO DO LIST
Elbow Grease:
fix turning raidus- have to re-center pitman arm to steering box DONE
Fix frame- I have a cracked fram on front driver side by the brake line
oil change- been about a year and about 10-12 miles since the last one.
hook up gauges- only gauges that work are the speedo and tach,
lube tranny & t-case- also need to check seals
fix front drive shaft- my front driveshaft seems to have the splines froze up.
re-pad roll cage- I want to put pipe insulation back on my cage.
fix the fenders rattling- fenders came from quadratec and the spot welds have broke.
service axles- change oil.
windsheild wipers- they haven't worked since I owned the jeep. Would like to fix. I have all the parts (it's all that junk inside the frame).
adjust rear brakes- just need a li'l adjusting like any other old drum setup
fix lifter ping- like most 304's. I'm going to do it when I put new headers on.
axle seals & bearings- my axles came with new seals, might as well put em on.
repaint up underneath- this jeep still looks good even with a 11 year old paint. So I like to keep even the underside glossy.
repaint rocker guards- my home depot hammered paint is flaking off.
steering stabilizer- new axles came with stabilizer, but I don't like the mount. DONE
bolt down front seats- I might be missing a bolt or 2 in my seats...
adjust front suspension- 4wp did my lift when I was a senior. I don't like the way the welded my front shackle mounts, Now that I have built and installed a lot of suspensions I can tell just by looking I don't like it.

Items to buy:
Parking break Cables- the axles I bought had the cables cut.
exhaust system- needs everything. I want a stocker set up 2 in 1 out style.
top w/ doors- would like to buy another top for my cj.
radio- I plan to buy a year 1 stereo. They are so cool.
speakers rear- not sure what kind to do yet.
speakers front- not sure here as well.
Shocks- need a little longer travel shocks. I want bilsteins as well. Stainless...
cb antenna- I need a new one. I robbed the old one off for my JK.
motor mounts (2)- needs atleast one, but if I'm going to do on I'll do both.
cig charger port- so I can plug in phone chargers and a gps.
Carb rebuild- needs the carb rebuilt, but I have a guy that is going to do it.
replace all u-joints- I don't remember the last time I did u-joints on this jeep.
radio antenna- it's been broke since I bought it, it's time for a new one.
Dash Knobs- been missing most of them since I have owned the jeep.
windsheild tie down strap- lost it over time, would like a nother one.

Wish List:
winch- I just want one of the $300 8k winches from either tsc or northern tool.
center console- just that a cheap console.
rock lights- would like some sort of led lights underneath.
4.56 gears- I have the gears just need the install kits. They came out of my old axles.
new shifter knob- I have one from autozone that I bought in h-school, I want a normal one now.
build custom rack- one that goes over the spare tire to put a cooler on or a jerry can.
Chromolly shafts rear- maybe one day do upgraded shafts in the rear.
spot lights for bumper- Something led... cheap from amazon or ebay
Back up light- also cheap
Optima Battery- If and or when I get a winch I will also upgrade to an optima.

a few pics for motivation:
w/ my dad's jeep right after I did the axle swap:

just finished detailing my cj and my crawler...

One from back in the day:

Last edited by DFWRusty; 08-26-2014 at 08:32 AM..
DFWRusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I would give all of my organs, to have that garage-----
LG
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Ya... It's really nice. It's my dad's shop to work on his toys. We built that shop about 8 years ago, only thing we didn't do was the concrete and some of the electrical (we ran all of the conduit and hung all the lights). He lets me use it to work on my jeeps. All I have is a 2 car garage at my house, it's full of my wife's projects and photography props... Barely any room to store my CJ in it.
Unread 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

I adjusted the pitman arm, it turns more evenly now, but still turns a little sharper to the left than the right. I started mounting the steering stabilizer last night, but ran out of time. I'll finish it tonight. I'm not in love with the way I mounted it, mainly because it's under the axle, I don't plan to really wheel it any more so that wont be a problem, but it looks kinda stupid. I may cut the mount off tonight and relocate it.

For removing the pitman arm, ditch the fork and get a puller. I started with the fork, but after about 5 minutes of hammering and no results I switched to the puller and it came right off!

Been almost 12 years since this pitman arm has came off!

Horrible picture, but shows how I mounted it. If you have a better location post a pic. I googled before I mounted it and couldn't find one.
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Was looking at how to fix the crack in my frame last night and noticed another crack.... I also looked and the 2 cracks go around the top of the frame and to go about an 1" down on the inside of the frame (engine bay area).

I plan to fix the crack by the brake line first. How ever the process to fix both will be pretty much the same. I will gouge the cracks with a grinder then weld the cracks up. Grind the welds down smooth then use a piece of 1/8" plate and cover the crack and weld it all the way around. I will do this on both sides of the frame. I will wait to do the crack by the motor mount until I install the new motor mounts that way while I have the old one out I will gain that much more room to get good welds.

This pic is standing by the tire looking in. You can barely see the cracks from this distance, but lets you know where they are.

This crack is right beside the motor mount.

This one is pretty obvious.

This is the crack by the motor mount.

This is standing under the engine looking at the frame. This is the one that's next to the brake line bracket.
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

I don't know if I stand alone here, but does anyone know of a set of headers for the 304 that will work with a y pipe and going to a single out on driver side? I have been looking and the only set of shorty headers I found were $500 . If that's what I have to do then so be it but I was hoping to do my entire system for around $500 (headers, pipes, muffler). I am sick of cherry bomb duals. It sounds ok, but it's loud, pops when the engine is idling down and I had to smash the pass side all to crap to get it to fit.

OR.... Did anyone have any luck with the standard in frame headers going to a y pipe and going to driver side? If I knew it would work I would just do it and be happy, but I keep looking at my headers and if the replacement headers are the same length then it would be really tight to get the y in there.
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Are those rancho 5000 shocks? I have a set and they cracked my frame in the same places as well as by the shock towers. Way too stiff, they beat the crap out of it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Nah, but might as well be. They are Pro Crap brand. Not sure which model. I plan to replace them with Bilstein shocks asap.
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

NOT uncommon on a CJ that gets used.
That's where mine cracked also.
CK up by the front cross-member in front of the radiator.
LG
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Kind of a bummer that this is a common issue amongst CJ's. I'll check that crossmember. I didn't get to touch the jeep last night (had meet the teacher night) but hopefully I'll get some stuff done on it this weekend!
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Is anyone still running stock manifolds? I was looking over the weekend and if I go back with a standard header I wont be able to run a single pipe to the back. I don't want to fork out the money for shorty headers. I have 2 sets of stock manifolds in our shop and I am kinda thinking about using one of the sets. I want to run a 2" single pipe all the way back with a Flowmaster 40. I think it will sound really clean and be a lot quieter than it is right now with out the choppy sound that I am getting really sick of!
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
CSP

Stock AMC manifolds flow really well. I prefer them over headers.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
DFWRusty
1978 CJ5 

Ya, I think I am going to use the stockers I have. Worst case scenario is that I don't like them and that I am out basically nothing! I'm going to pull out, sand blast them, and repaint with hi-temp paint. I plan to run a flowmaster 40, I've always liked the sound with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.