Getting a CJ5 Road Worthy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Getting a CJ5 Road Worthy

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Subaruski

Getting a CJ5 Road Worthy

Recently bought a 81' CJ5 from my grandparents. It has 40k miles and has always been well taken care of. I'm going to be driving it from central Colorado to Las Vegas in a couple weeks and I was looking to get some info to make it highway worthy.

I've driven it plenty around town but the steering has so much play in it I am skeptical to drive it on the highway for 12 hours.

What are some upgrades I could look into? Sway bars, steering stabilizer, ect?

Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Subaruski

I'll also mention that the CJ is completely stock. Tires where recently replaced this spring. Not sure with what since I have not been out to see it in a couple months.
Unread 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Full Tank
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruski View Post

It has 40k miles and has always been well taken care of.
If those are supposed to be original miles the steering should not be that messed up unless it was beat on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruski View Post

I've driven it plenty around town but the steering has so much play in it I am skeptical to drive it on the highway for 12 hours.
If you have the time I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop & getting an alignment & a professional inspection & any further repairs to make it 100% roadworthy.

Get yourself a quality tire guage & make sure the tires are evenly inflated. I had a very scary incident in the mountains with my '80 CJ5 10 minutes after I bought it due to uneven tire pressure.

CJ5's are completely different animals than CJ7's due to the wheel base and narrow track axles.

Congrats on your new toy.

FT

1986 CJ7
Dana 30--AMC20--D300--T5--2.5L
Full Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Subaruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Tank View Post
If those are supposed to be original miles the steering should not be that messed up unless it was beat on.

If you have the time I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop & getting an alignment & a professional inspection & any further repairs to make it 100% roadworthy.

Get yourself a quality tire guage & make sure the tires are evenly inflated. I had a very scary incident in the mountains with my '80 CJ5 10 minutes after I bought it due to uneven tire pressure.

CJ5's are completely different animals than CJ7's due to the wheel base and narrow track axles.

Congrats on your new toy.

FT
Yes those are original miles. My Grandfather bought it new and it was just kept as vehicle at there summer home in Colorado.

I'll have the alignment checked and be sure to check the pressure in the tires before I set out on the road.
Unread 11-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Fabian15
1980 CJ5 

what motor does it have??
Fabian15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

Old bushings, tie rode ends and ball joints all contribute to the steering woes. I would bet those parts are all original and they all have some wear in them. This will add up to allot of wander. These parts should be inspected and replaced. Your Jeep will feel 100% better on the road.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

One thing you might try is to break out the grease gun and lube everything with a grease fitting (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc). it sounds like this Jeep did a whole lot of sitting versus driving. Shooting some grease into it might help alot.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
junglejim

Grease everything, make sure the bushings aren't rotted. Get it aligned.

Have you checked the brakes recently? For such a long ride I would thoroughly check the entire system out.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
IDK

It also wouldn't hurt to check the carb and maybe tune it up a little for better MPGs and such. Make sure your tires are ready for the trip also. What motor does it have?
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
Subaruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK View Post
It also wouldn't hurt to check the carb and maybe tune it up a little for better MPGs and such. Make sure your tires are ready for the trip also. What motor does it have?
Carb and clutch have all been recently replaced/fixed. Tires are almost brand new.

It has the 4 cylinder engine, not sure what the displacement is on those.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Subaruski

30 degrees out this morning and took the CJ out for a spin. Started right up
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Subaruski

Unread 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
1977-401
1977 CJ5 

looks like a nice original cj-5. Very cool!!
1977-401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.