JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Getting a CJ5 Road Worthy (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/getting-cj5-road-worthy-1124708/)

Subaruski 11-05-2010 02:40 PM

Getting a CJ5 Road Worthy

Recently bought a 81' CJ5 from my grandparents. It has 40k miles and has always been well taken care of. I'm going to be driving it from central Colorado to Las Vegas in a couple weeks and I was looking to get some info to make it highway worthy.

I've driven it plenty around town but the steering has so much play in it I am skeptical to drive it on the highway for 12 hours.

What are some upgrades I could look into? Sway bars, steering stabilizer, ect?

Subaruski 11-05-2010 02:56 PM

I'll also mention that the CJ is completely stock. Tires where recently replaced this spring. Not sure with what since I have not been out to see it in a couple months.

Full Tank 11-05-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaruski (Post 10404301)

It has 40k miles and has always been well taken care of.

If those are supposed to be original miles the steering should not be that messed up unless it was beat on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaruski (Post 10404301)

I've driven it plenty around town but the steering has so much play in it I am skeptical to drive it on the highway for 12 hours.

If you have the time I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop & getting an alignment & a professional inspection & any further repairs to make it 100% roadworthy.

Get yourself a quality tire guage & make sure the tires are evenly inflated. I had a very scary incident in the mountains with my '80 CJ5 10 minutes after I bought it due to uneven tire pressure.

CJ5's are completely different animals than CJ7's due to the wheel base and narrow track axles.

Congrats on your new toy.

FT

Subaruski 11-05-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Tank (Post 10404532)
If those are supposed to be original miles the steering should not be that messed up unless it was beat on.

If you have the time I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop & getting an alignment & a professional inspection & any further repairs to make it 100% roadworthy.

Get yourself a quality tire guage & make sure the tires are evenly inflated. I had a very scary incident in the mountains with my '80 CJ5 10 minutes after I bought it due to uneven tire pressure.

CJ5's are completely different animals than CJ7's due to the wheel base and narrow track axles.

Congrats on your new toy.

FT

Yes those are original miles. My Grandfather bought it new and it was just kept as vehicle at there summer home in Colorado.

I'll have the alignment checked and be sure to check the pressure in the tires before I set out on the road.

Fabian15 11-05-2010 06:31 PM

what motor does it have??

Mister 4x4 11-05-2010 08:04 PM

Old bushings, tie rode ends and ball joints all contribute to the steering woes. I would bet those parts are all original and they all have some wear in them. This will add up to allot of wander. These parts should be inspected and replaced. Your Jeep will feel 100% better on the road.

chet44 11-05-2010 08:32 PM

One thing you might try is to break out the grease gun and lube everything with a grease fitting (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc). it sounds like this Jeep did a whole lot of sitting versus driving. Shooting some grease into it might help alot.

junglejim 11-05-2010 08:47 PM

Grease everything, make sure the bushings aren't rotted. Get it aligned.

Have you checked the brakes recently? For such a long ride I would thoroughly check the entire system out.

IDK 11-05-2010 10:09 PM

It also wouldn't hurt to check the carb and maybe tune it up a little for better MPGs and such. Make sure your tires are ready for the trip also. What motor does it have?

Subaruski 11-05-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDK (Post 10406545)
It also wouldn't hurt to check the carb and maybe tune it up a little for better MPGs and such. Make sure your tires are ready for the trip also. What motor does it have?

Carb and clutch have all been recently replaced/fixed. Tires are almost brand new.

It has the 4 cylinder engine, not sure what the displacement is on those.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Subaruski 01-09-2012 10:59 AM

30 degrees out this morning and took the CJ out for a spin. Started right up :o

Subaruski 01-09-2012 11:00 AM

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...i/P1050868.jpg

1977-401 01-09-2012 03:41 PM

looks like a nice original cj-5. Very cool!!

The time now is 08:15 PM.