Getting 84 CJ-7 4Cyl started again?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Getting 84 CJ-7 4Cyl started again??

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Getting 84 CJ-7 4Cyl started again??

ok, I have an 84 Cj-7 with the 4 cylinder in it.. I currently live in Alabama but the jeep is located at my parents' house in Texas.. it is sitting in their barn and hasnt been started in over a year.. probably closer to several years.

I will be there for a full Week and was wanting to work on it and get it running again.

I need to drain the gas since it is bad..

what are the basic steps that I need to take to try to get this thing going again?

any tips and tricks are much appreciated.

like I said, I have 7 days.. it isn't life or death to get this thing going.. just wanted to try to get it going again.

thanks for your help.

smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

1. New battery, fuel filters before/after fuel pump, temporary hose from a gas can to the pump. Put a little gas in the carb and see if it will start/run on its own. Might need to keep feeding it a little gas down the carb before it starts pumping fuel and on its own. If that never happens, replace the fuel pump and try again.

2. If #1 works, try the fuel in the tank. It should not be bad after only a couple of years unless it was bad to start with. I've used older.

3. If #2 is good, try to take it for a ride and see if it bogs down, etc. If it does I would start w/ a carb rebuild. The carb may not need it though so I wouldn't just jump in and do it without seeing how its behaving first.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
CJuncky
1981 CJ5 

If it were me I would pull the distributor an run the oil pump with a drill to get oil up in the motor first, then pull all the plugs and crank the motor over several times before trying to get it to fire. Any motor that has not been ran for a year or more I start by doing this before trying to start it. You can spin a dry rod or main bearing very easy. Also put some tranny fluid in the plug holes before cranking the motor, this will lubricate the rings.
My 2 cents
Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
80 CJ7 258/auto/d 44 diffs/ 4" lift/rebuild started 80 CJ7 #2 stock(sold)
82 CJ7 stock DD
CJuncky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJuncky View Post
.. pull all the plugs... put some tranny fluid in the plug holes before cranking the motor, this will lubricate the rings.
This seems to be a popular way to go: pull out the spark plugs, put a small amount of lubricating oil in each cylinder, let it soak in, and then try to turn the engine by hand using a wrench on the main pulley. If the engine turns OK by hand, then crank it with the starter.
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
JustDandee
1983 CJ7 

The single barrel carburetor on my 83' had to be rebuilt recently. I forget exactly the details on what the rebuilder explained the functionality of the accelerator pump was but it is a little more integral to how the carb works than on other carbs. Something to keep in mind if it is not running well.

Dan
JustDandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
seabass1858
CJ Literate

1983 CJ7 

I am curious to see who all still keeps the original 4 squirrels in their rigs. I have the f134 in the willys but how many actually stick with the iron duke or the amc and have no complaints.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

ok, late update... I pulled the spark plugs and poured a small amount of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let sit for a day... the engine would turn by hand...

we hooked a bottle of gas to the carb and plugged in a new battery... started right up and ran great... crazy that it worked like that... I guarantee that if my '12 JK unlimited were to sit for 5 years, it would not start right up...
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
... I guarantee that if my '12 JK unlimited were to sit for 5 years, it would not start right up...
Thanks for posting the update! Glad you got it running. Sometimes the simplicity of older technology has some benefits.
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
ok, late update... I pulled the spark plugs and poured a small amount of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let sit for a day... the engine would turn by hand...

we hooked a bottle of gas to the carb and plugged in a new battery... started right up and ran great... crazy that it worked like that... I guarantee that if my '12 JK unlimited were to sit for 5 years, it would not start right up...
That's the exact same thing I did with mine after it sat for eleven years. Started up and ran semi-good.
Then all of the gaskets and seals fell apart on about a daily basis....

Glad you got it fired up.
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I just ordered a new ignition switch and a clutch master cylinder. Hopefully I will be able to install them this weekend.
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok. I just installed the new ignition switch and have a problem/question. When I turn the switch forward as if it were starting the jeep, there is no spring back to the run position. Does that make sense?

I haven't looked at the wiring my dad did when he put in the button starter.

It is an 84 '7 with a 4cyl and non tilt wheel.

Thanks a lot.
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
This seems to be a popular way to go: pull out the spark plugs, put a small amount of lubricating oil in each cylinder, let it soak in, and then try to turn the engine by hand using a wrench on the main pulley. If the engine turns OK by hand, then crank it with the starter.

Ditto, 10cc of thin oil and let it set for a few hours while you tinker with other parts.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
I am curious to see who all still keeps the original 4 squirrels in their rigs. I have the f134 in the willys but how many actually stick with the iron duke or the amc and have no complaints.
it not that I do not have any complaints, its just that I do not want to spend the money on an old piece of rusty jeep to install a bigger engine.

the little amc 4 banger pulls the my old 1984 cj jeep way faster than the frontend can hold the road, if there are any dips or potholes.

It just an old jeep, but its my jeep and we have been together for a long time.
do not know how old you are, but when you are older like me, you just hang on to old friends: good, bad or indifferent.

nothing finer: on a beautiful spring day, just loafing along on a back road, riding in my old jeep listening to some tunes, maybe having a friend or grandkid to ride along with me.

do not really need a big engine for that.

have a good day,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
seabass1858
CJ Literate

1983 CJ7 

im with you, no need to upgrade my willys either, It goes down the road fine as is.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.