Gears Gears Gears! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gears Gears Gears!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-22-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
Jwhit

Gears Gears Gears!

So my jeep broke down last summer because the Automatic transmission went. I saved up and bought a parts jeep and swapped it to a manual tranny. The engine runs great 258--T5 d300. The problem comes with the axles. Seeing as i run 33's I really need to gear down. Additionally I think that the auto was geared much lower than stock manuals. I talked to parts places and they said you need to change the carrier to switch gears from 2.73 up to 4.56.. big shift... I cant even hit 4th gear on the highway. I think 4.11 or 4.56 are the way to go. I dont to much driving on the highways and i want to make it a weekend trail jeep. I think i want 4.56's . My question is are there popular axle swaps for the CJ because I have heard that the model 20 and model 30 are not known for being the best in terms of ruggedness. . Another question is if i get 4.56's and lockers for my current setup, dont they only sell them for the axles that are in there right now? Would you have to buy a complterly different setup if you wanted to change the axle size ... number of splines. IM looking for a solid axle that I can depend on.. but not too expensive... The parts place quoted me 1400 for the gears lockers and kit to install it. somehow i feel like I might be better off finding something out of another vehicle.Dana 44 or dana 60 Any suggestions on what to look for? Are there any pickups or suvs that i could borrow axles from at a junk yard?

'85 CJ7 Rebuilt 258/T5/Dana 300 Mopar MPI fuel Injuection kit - 35" Pro Comp X-Terrains,one piece rear axle, 4.56 gears, Tracloc rear, Detroit Nospin front, 2" Full-Traction Shackle Reversal, 1" body lift, 2.5" Sky Jacker lift

'05 Jeep "Willys" ~stock... daily driver
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
crf

cant help alot but the model 20 w/one peice axles is heaver than the 9" ford rear end.
one peice axels
35" M/T's
superwinch
crf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I can offer a little help here. I still don't know if I can answer all of your questions.

I had a 3.54 ratio stock in my CJ I have a three speed TF 999 auto and the D300 T-case. I put on 33" tires and knew the ratio needed to be changed. I put it off for a few years, but changed it to 4.56's anticipating my switching to 35" tires. As it sits now I absolutely love the 4.56's even on the highway. I run about 70-75 mph(as near as I can tell with the speedo not accurate) and I turn out about 3400 rpms. I know I will drop some more rpm if I change to 35"s but I love the 4.56 and 33" combo so much I may keep it right there. The crawl ratio is great for everything I do offroad. I have the D30 up front and the M20 in the rear. I have never had a problem in the rear even with the two piece shafts, but because I didn't want to be broke down on the side of a trail I went to the one piece shafts. I considered swapping to a D44 rear as I had access to a free one out of a TJ, but felt that wasn't really an upgrade-if I had access to a D60 that would be a different story though. From my limited experience and observations the M20 should be adequate unless you get into severe hard core wheeling and/or competition. As for the D30 up front, I have a lockrite there and love it, but on two different trips when I really got on the gas pedal I ended up with broken axle u-joints which ruined the inner shafts. No big deal as they are easy to change and I had a spare set of inexpensive shafts(thanks ebay) already assembled with U-joints so I just swapped them trailside. Now I am thinking to fix this problem I either need to let up on the go pedal a little, or keep the front wheels from hopping and breaking the joints, or go to stronger components. Right now I am looking at the Warn premium axle shafts with the 297 joint or the 760 joint. I figure that my joint is the weak point and the larger joints will either keep me going or show me a new weak spot. I suppose a D44 up front wouldn't be a bad route to go if your just starting out. A D60 front would be golden! I guess you have to weigh your needs and expectaions against your wallet. If it's a recrational weekend trail runner keep it as it is or maybe go to a 44 up front. If your looking for severe duty use you better keep your eye out for a pair of 60's. Just my humble opinion and $.02 worth.

Good luck and happy Jeeping!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.