gearing/tires/lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gearing/tires/lockers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
c_herrman

gearing/tires/lockers

Hi guys, my cj currently has 3:31 gears with the factory limited slip, my question is this...i want to add lockers front, and rear.....and, eventually i want to run 33's (currently 31/10/50's), so, my first question is are the 3:31 adequate for the 31's i currently run? ie: would it be worth it to add the lockers now, or am i better off just waiting till i can regear, and then add the lockers.....just put new 31's on my cj, so, it'll be quite awhile before i'd go to the 33's.....Thanks in advance for your responses
Cory

c_herrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Go to the lockers NOW !

LOL,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Brock

Are you talking about lunchbox lockers or full-case lockers? Personally I would regear at the same time as adding lockers to keep from messing with them twice if you are going with detroits or ARBs. The lunchbox lockers could be installed now with you doing the gears later if necessary.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
Grifter

Bro I'm in that situation right now. I recently purchased 33's and I'm in overdrive hell. At first I was going to just regear, but when I started readin' up on lockers and all I realized that if I was going to regear I might as well get the lockers too!

I priced around and recently got a quote of $2500 out the door from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers which I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm going to go with. It includes the following:

- Regear to 4:56 both Axles (I'm running a D30 & AMC20)
- Bearings & Seals for regearing
- ARB Lockers Front & Rear
- Running air lines from both lockers to my existing OBA
- Installing a switch in my dash for the Lockers.
[i]'85 Jeep CJ7 ~ 4.2L/6cyl/258 ~ OBA ~ NV4500 tranny ~ Atlas II t-case ~ 2 1/2" S-Lift ~ 1" B-Lift ~ 1 1/4" Shakles ~ 33" SSR TSL's on A/E 589's ~ Rancho 9000's ~ AGR Steering Box II ~ M.O.R.E Steering Box Bracket ~ Borgeson Steering Column ~ Tuffy Stereo Center Console[/size][/i]
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
eight

3:31 is good for 31s if you have the 6 or 8 cylinder. Same thing as said about lockers. If you're gonna run a lunchbox style, do it now. It's a simple do it yourself install. Strongest one of these seems to be the lockrite. If you're gonna use a full case locker it's cheapest to do the gears and lockers at the same time as you'll have to have the gears setup. Plus for the front d30, if you buy a full case locker for the 3:31s, you can't use it with lower than 3.55 gears when you change them out.
Unread 06-27-2003, 03:14 AM   #6
Sandman74

A good rule of thumb on gears is .12 x tire height(in inches).
31 in tire x .12=3.72 (3.73gears)
33 in tire x .12=3.96
If you are going with a good locker, regear now.
Do it once right
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:07 AM   #7
Brock

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman74
A good rule of thumb on gears is .12 x tire height(in inches).
31 in tire x .12=3.72 (3.73gears)
33 in tire x .12=3.96
If you are going with a good locker, regear now.
Do it once right

Thats a pretty good formula. I have never seen that before.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.