Gearing Question?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gearing Question??

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
040498bs
1986 CJ7 

Gearing Question??

I just regeared my '86 CJ7 from 2.73's to 3.73's with a trac-lock in the rear axle. My jeep has a factory automatic transmission in it. In the next few months I'm planning on a lift and bigger tires. I guess my question is, what's the biggest tire I can run with my current set up and how much lift will I need? It has a stock suspension now and will be used as a daily driver, with a few easy trail rides from time to time. I want to run as big a tire as I can while still maintaining the new found pep I just got from the regearing. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

040498bs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Your 3.73s and auto trans will work nicely with 33s. Depending on the amount of off-roading and flex you want, a 2.5" to 4.0" lift will be fine.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
040498bs
1986 CJ7 

Thanks! I was hoping I would be able to go with 33s. I know with the 31s on there now, it's pushing some serious RPMS at 60-65mph. Any recommendations on which 4 inch lift to go with? The place that installed the gears wanted to sell me a Rough Counrty lift. I thought I had read somewhere on here that for the best ride I may want to stay away from there lift. When I asked them about this they said they used to be known for a rough ride, but the last few years their equipment had changed and the ride was better. Is that the case or were they just trying to push what they had in the shelf?
040498bs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
chesapeakcowboy
1986 CJ7 

Rubicon express...most complete I've used...good ride for a leaf spring jeep.
chesapeakcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

BDS. http://bds-suspension.com/ Rides and flexes very nicely and has a no BS warranty.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 040498bs View Post
I just regeared my '86 CJ7 from 2.73's to 3.73's with a trac-lock in the rear axle. My jeep has a factory automatic transmission in it. In the next few months I'm planning on a lift and bigger tires. I guess my question is, what's the biggest tire I can run with my current set up and how much lift will I need? It has a stock suspension now and will be used as a daily driver, with a few easy trail rides from time to time. I want to run as big a tire as I can while still maintaining the new found pep I just got from the regearing. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Are you going for looks or off road capability?

For off road capability, you want to keep a REASONABLE size tire and you want to keep the center of gravity low.

The less lift you can get away with and still have tire clearance is what you should go with.
If you go above 2.5" or 3" of suspension lift, you will start having some steering problems you will need to correct, and that means time and money, plus the aggrivation of chasing those 'Issues' out of the vehicle.

As for tires, it's up to you, the taller you go, the more sluggish your vehice is going to seem, and the harder it's going to be to stop.
Since larger tires overleverage the brakes, the taller you go the harder the brakes have to work to stop you.

I would stick with about 33" Max limit unless you decide to kick the gears again and get rid of the factory Dana 30.
The Dana 30 is not real strong, and you usually start to break parts if you get above 33" tires.

Anyway, it's up to you, these are the 'Facts' and what most people find when they do what you are doing, so make your own choices and Happy Jeeping!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.