Gearing and Locker Selection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gearing and Locker Selection

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
KUJeeper82
1985 CJ7 

Gearing and Locker Selection

So I've pulled the trigger on a differential upgrade on my CJ7 and the shop is ordering the parts on 3/17/14 (tomorrow). Total cost will be about $2300.

I've decided to go with a Detroit Truetrac in the front D30 and Detroit Automatic in the rear AMC20; both will be regeared to 4.56 (w/ master rebuild kits) and I'm currently running 33x12.50x15 BFG MT KM2 with a 4.0L and AX15.

According to some online calculators, I should be able to cruise on the freeway at 75 mph at 2750 rpm. I have Warn Locking Hubs in the front as well and will keep these unlock while on-road.

So... just how effective will this gearing/locker setup be for my rig? I want to be able to drive in terrains from desert washes to snow covered jeep trails in the mountains. Occasional mud and sand use as well. Also will need to be capable of driving OK on icy roads in a pinch.

KUJeeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

Looks like you've done your homework. The only thing you may want to look at is the Detroit Locker in the rear for use in snow/ice. A posi may be more stable in the rear under those conditions? This is only from what I've read. I have driven exactly one time in ice/snow in my life, and that was in a rental Ford Focus. Hopefully some one else will give you some real advice about that. But overall sounds like a well thought out set up.

Good Luck

PS I really hope this doesn't turn into a "polishing a turd" thread.
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
KUJeeper82
1985 CJ7 

Well,I was going to put a Detroit in front and rear, but reports on here and elsewhere said it can really suck. Also the front locker makes it hard to make sharp turns?

This just needs to last another 3-4 years until I have some custom ford 9" made
KUJeeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJeeper82 View Post
Well,I was going to put a Detroit in front and rear, but reports on here and elsewhere said it can really suck. Also the front locker makes it hard to make sharp turns?

This just needs to last another 3-4 years until I have some custom ford 9" made
I went with twin stick on the D300 with a Detroit Locker in the D30. The front only can be put into neutral when needing to make a sharp turn (with hubs locked) - locker won't engage.

I understand the 9" thing and think it is a great choice. When I was building mine, I had access to D44's front and rear, D60's etc. Instead, I chose to become the "turd polish" king (its in my profile). I threw the "PS" comment in because there are people on the forum that trash anything about building the D30 and AMC20. It gets very old.

Like I wrote, you've done your research, and it seems pretty sound IMO . Looking forward to your stroker build.

Good Luck
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.