Gear Setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gear Setup

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
shortgoroper
1983 CJ7 

Gear Setup

Before I slap all of the axles back together. I am wondering how my CJ will roll down the road with a 232, T5 trans, AMC 20 with 2.72 gears??

I wanted to run 30" tires on it???

The jeep will be a daily driver on the highway, with some occasional off-roading (mild)

Thanks

shortgoroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
desertrunner1

Well, being that I have a jeepspeed racer xj.. No not the ones that kids put a nerf bar and larger tires on and call it a jeepspeed.

Mine is SCORE and BITD approved.. Gearing is so important. In my opinion, I would get your gears to 3:73 or 4:10. You want to run 30's and at some point if you get larger tires, it will help.

I am running 33x10.50. Had 4:56 but finally went to 5:13 and feels fantastic. But again, mine is built for racing.

Good luck.
desertrunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
CSP

Rather than guessing or letting other people guess for you, plug your information into the below link and determine what your engine RPMs will be at a given speed and determine if that will work for you.

Gear Ratio Calculator

For mostly highway driving the 30" tires and 2.73s will probably work well. You may not be able to use fifth gear on inclines, but it isn't a terrible combination.

Racing is quite different and so is the torque curve of the 232 vs. the 4.0 found in an XJ.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
shortgoroper
1983 CJ7 

That calculator works nice. Thanks. I will give it a go.. If I am not satified.. I will do a gear change.

Thanks
matt
shortgoroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

With a T-5 and that tire size, the motor will be more comfortable in the 3.31-3.54 range.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.