gear ratio search - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gear ratio search

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-05-2002, 12:45 AM   #1
jeepster18_88

gear ratio search

Does anyone know how I can find the gear ratio in my '85 CJ7 w 4.2 & A/C without tearing into my differentials? What was your stock gear ratios? Thanks.

Unread 02-05-2002, 09:09 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Clean up the grease on the axle housing and look for the code (assuming none has swaped them):
http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/amc20.html

Also, you can jack up one rear wheel, and do that thingy where you rotate the tire once, and se how many time the driveshaft turns. If its less than 3, its likely 2.73, if its a little over 3, it 3.31, 3 1/2 times, 3.54, and so on . . .

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 07:13 PM   #3
jeepster18_88

I've been told by many people that I could find approximately the gear ratio by jacking up the rear end, marking the tire and driveshaft, turning the tire one full turn while counting the driveshaft revolutions. It makes perfect sense and I tried it, but I only had one side jacked up. The ratio appears to be about 1.3 to 1.
What I'm saying is for 1 full turn of the tire, the driveshaft turns about 1 and a third times. I know that there was no such ratio made for the AMC 20 but that is the results. Could me not jacking up the other side have anything to do with the screwed up results. Thanks.
Unread 02-17-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

I am having the same thing haoppen here. I assumed with the 1.3 ratio only truning the one wheel doubling it woudl make 2.6. Guessing I have the dreaded 2.73 axles.

I will upgrade in the future.

"Use up what ya got, then buy what ya want"!
diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.