Gear ratio question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gear ratio question

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-11-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Steve Adams

Gear ratio question

I have an '83 CJ7 with a stock 258. Dana 20 front end and 30 rear end. Gear ratio for both is 2.73. I have a T-150 transmission with 31.5 tires. My problem is top-end speed. I shift from 2nd to 3rd at about 30 MPH, and from that point it takes forever to gain speed. Throttle to the floor makes little difference, in fact, sometimes it works better giving it very little gas, but takes along time to get speed. Would a T176 work better with this setup? Or is the gear ratio the problem?

Steve Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2002, 11:36 PM   #2
RickCJ7

The t-176 would work a lot better since the gearing is closer, and you need 3.73 0r 4.10 gears.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.