Gazzo's original Overlander find - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gazzo's original Overlander find

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
That's interesting on the jack. US jeeps had a scissor jack mounted on the inner passenger fender.........
Must be an import thing. My other Overlander has the same bracket but no jack and my friends has the lot.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack61
Do they use the Toyota style front turn signal/marker light on all the Jeep CJ's down there? I can see the emblem in the fender marker spot but whats in the original grill signal/marker light location? Looks like vents???
My 7 and all the CJs I've seen in oz have those lights. Difficult to get new lenses.

In the grille are just slotted little hole fillers. Also hard to get.

Unread 09-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #18
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

My Cj had those horrible lights as well. Both of them were broken and I replaced them with cheap little LED's and put the driving lights in with the headlights just to get a roadworthy.
Gaz, have you seen any CJ's around without them? I want to take them off and use the grille mounted lights when I finish my build-up.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Nope, they all have them. You'll have to put your indicators in where the grilles are or else you wont have indicators. Prolly be some legal issue with having indicators that close together too if thats the way your thinking of going.

Unread 09-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #20
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

I know of at least 1 jeep in Aus that got a roadworthy with the grille signal lights. Worst case I'm going to fab something into the bumper, some thing subtle. I forgot to mention, nice find on the 8.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

Gazzo WTH is this? I thought tornado's were bad enough, without the fire!

Unread 09-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #22
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Not bad huh? Our equivalent of your Nevada, and I think Utah, is the Northern Territory, the south end of which is where that film is from. It's where Uluru (or Ayers Rock) is. Frickin' hot, dry as a bone and loads of loose fuel laying around waiting to go up. The aboriginals use fire as a tool for catching food and also to control their country. When that stuff burns it goes on and on for days with out real problems as there is no one there normally. I haven't seen a "willy-willy" (as the indigenous folk call them) drag flames up into it but I have been completely surrounded by black ash ones after fires, hundreds of them, in the Tanami Desert when I've been out there working.

Just for fun google "Tanami Desert", "Kimberley" or "Uluru". We don't have many remarkable things out back here in Australia but those are a few worth checking out if you get time.

Unread 09-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So I got a father/son camping weekend coming up this weekend and little Jed is way excited. We're heading away from the coast this time and heading to the bush. A river running right through the park should make it nice. Jed wants to take this new to us CJ8 and the weather's still shiz so it'll be on with all the hardware tomorrow.
Put a new set of seat belts in back today just in case we find some trails and get to do some light wheeling with other crew in the back seat.

These fowl pink seatcovers are what Smittybuilt calls Red. They were destined for my 7 but one look and it was "no frickin way". they don't look quite that pink in real life thank goonness, so they're not so bad in the Scrambler.
This black puddle was caused by the oil filter being loose, seems PO did'nt even try to do it up hand tight, pretty lame for such an important part.

needless to say that's now gone. Just the trans leak now. Best I get onto that.

So anyway it's a little bit of a road trip, 200k's one way so it will be a good run to see what this thing's like when it gets warm. Should try and do all the fluids before I go, haven't done them yet and I know it's the golden rule when you get a new to you CJ.

Unread 11-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Desert find CJ10

I was visiting an exploration camp in the Kimberley (north-east Western Australia where the cattle stations are 100,000 acres) earlier this week and came across this little treasure abandoned long ago in a paddock. Fires go through often enough and unfortunately one of them got this 10. Frame's good, body's rust free apart from the surface rust you can see. All real straight except the door frame.
The temptation is there for sure.
The second one my sister in law snapped at a north-west mining town airport a couple of weeks ago looking every bit the DD mine work ute.
Whilst I was at the exploration camp one of the guys told me of a shed at one of the aboriginal communities which was full of Willys jeeps "the little flat ones" were his words. There were US air bases all around the place back in the day so my hopes were high when I went looking and asking around the mob. Unfortunately we couldn't find the shed and no one we asked knew of these Jeeps. I'm not giving up. There's a "barn find" out there just waiting for me. Might just have to get this 10 back home in the mean time.
img_2753-1-.jpg   img_2719.jpg   img_2754-1-.jpg   img_2755-1-.jpg  

Unread 11-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Wow nice find. How do you go about finding out if you can take it?

You would become famous if you found a barn full of old MB's!
Unread 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Wow nice find. How do you go about finding out if you can take it?

You would become famous if you found a barn full of old MB's!
Knowing the background of the station and its owners I'd say a carton of beers will do it.

And the shed full of jeeps really has me going now.

Hey I didn't have much time to go over the 10 very closely but what I did notice is the chassis is not fully boxed amidships. I know AMC did some odd things but why would they make a truck withot a fully boxed chassis? Is it maybe the very earliest in the production run?

Unread 11-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Nice Jeep!
Yes. I reckon so. It would be awesome to bring that back to life.

Unread 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

just practicing

Not bumping my own thread here I'm just trying to work out how to directly insert pix on this Samsung Note tablet thingy. There's no app like igadgets so I have to use the web browser way.
If anyone knows help me out.
I just checked preview and it seems ok.
20121115_051058.jpg  

Unread 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #30
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Picture looks ok, could have been better with a babe though!
Something like this. Sorry about the quality, it's a screen shot off someone's avatar, and I made it bigger.

image-2174618363.jpg

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.