Gazzo's original Overlander find - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gazzo's original Overlander find

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #151
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65
Welcome to the US how long are you in Houston I will be off the boat Monday and hope you are around for a few days.
Hey there. Looks like I'll miss you unfortunately. I have been in since Friday night and have been going flat out since then. We're out on Monday at 8 am
Hoping to drop in on Dave 243 today to see all his hard work as we'll be up his way this morning.
Sorry I missed you though.

Quote from a friend:
"How many jeeps do you actually want?
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #152
1983 CJ7 

Gary, thanks for stopping by and shaking hands, it was great meeting you and your brother in law as well. I know you are running in overdrive but I hope you enjoy your short visit to Texas and have a smooth trip home.
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #153
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
Gary, thanks for stopping by and shaking hands, it was great meeting you and your brother in law as well. I know you are running in overdrive but I hope you enjoy your short visit to Texas and have a smooth trip home.
Thanks for having us David, was real pleasure if only a quick stop. We only made it back by the skin if our teeth, the temps were rising with the Interior Ministers we made it out to the space centre and saw the most awesome SaturnV rocket ship. That really blew me away. Glad we did that. Off to San Diego for the third leg tomorrow, get the troops up at 5:30 to get a plane. Then sea world for the afternoon. Still not running on your time yet so I'm all at see but your shiner bock seems to level me out pretty good

Hey did you ever see this place?

image-2096592099.jpg

The food is unbelievable with charcoal cooked meats of all kinds which keep coming as long as you have your card turned up. Amazing tucker for sure.

Again Dave thanks for letting a us drop in, was an honour to meet the legend and see the handiwork. You have a world of projects coming up and I wish you well Sir

Quote from a friend:
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #154
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

mmmm Chama Gaucha. I LOVE that place. Our boss takes our entire team to eat there every year. Just like Fogo De Chao but cheaper and better food (in my opinion).
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #155
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Couple days in San Diego, Seaworld and wot not. Up through bishop and we are at mammoth now. On to Tahoe today hopefully. Tantalizingly close to Rubicon but just can't get there this time

What a country you guys have. Almost every mountain I see has wheel tracks going up.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #156
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So after two weeks driving all around Cali and a short spell in Detroit and Houston the tally is this:
CJ7 - 3 including Dave's.
CJ5 - 2
Grand Wagoneer - 2. black with woodsides
And
Willys Jeepster - 1
Many TJs and YJs.
I'm stoked at the way you guys can all drag your jeeps around behind your RVs or mobile homes or whatever you call them. Always fun waiting to see what's in back of these enormous vans and 9 times out of ten they are T or YJs. Even some JKUs!!! One guy at Bodie, old mine town on the way to Tahoe, had a TJ but said he used to flat tow his CJ5 with 40000 original miles. It now lives in the shed with his other 9 "old cars". I wonder what they are.
Surprised I didn't see more of our kinds of jeeps on the road. The impression I get from this forum is that they are EVERYWHERE but that clearly is not the case, not in California or Houston anyways. I'm glad I got to see Dave243s fine example up close otherwise Texas was a JFZ.
I wish JF would let me post iPhone pix as I have plenty. Wifey got sick of me saying "JK" or "TJ" every mile or so. She was pleasantly supportive and indulgent when I finally got to shout "woohoo Grand Wagoneer" twice in one drive through from SantaCruz thru to Malibu.
If asked what was my highlite of this short but sweet trip it would be driving the Cabrillo Highway thru Big Sur. For me that was at times a white knuckle ride since we don't got nuttin like that where I'm from. Absolutely mesmerizing from start to finish. Even my daughter observed my weirdness at some points. Like "Dad are you ok?" Getting woken up by seals barking this morning at Gorda was a treat for sure.

One thing I must say is a huge "THANKS" to the pathetic knob ends who "run" this country or not for blocking us out of every park we really wanted to see along the way, most notably Yosemite ( not to be confused with out national food, Vegemite). Where this nonsense really hit was when all the good folk who would normally camp or do the trailer home park thing had no where to stay but motels we poor Aussies would have no where to stay "sorry we're full" was the typical response ( maybe they just didn't like us smelly convicts).

Anyways thanks for having us. We'll be back for sure. New York to Florida next time.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #157
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Correction: 2 Jeepster Commandos. Came across this one in Venice before flying out. image-2091257837.jpg image-1197280067.jpg image-2940367413.jpg

Quote from a friend:
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #158
wm69

Sorry our inept "leaders" made your trip less fun than it should have been, but glad you got to see the States and some Jeeps, and glad you made it home safely.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #159
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
Sorry our inept "leaders" made your trip less fun than it should have been, but glad you got to see the States and some Jeeps, and glad you made it home safely.
No kidding!

Hopefully you made it out of Kalifornia with your abilities for logical reasoning and rational thought still intact.

Shawn
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #160
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
Thanks mate. Please don't get me wrong, we had an absolute blast, especially the road trip. So cool and the best part was being with my wife and kids for so long. The bits we missed would have just made the experience that little bit better.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #161
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
No kidding!

Hopefully you made it out of Kalifornia with your abilities for logical reasoning and rational thought still intact.

Shawn
No kidding. They'll probably send me a letter telling him he has to smog his overlander because he visited their state.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #162
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
No kidding. They'll probably send me a letter telling him he has to smog his overlander because he visited their state.
Geez those dudes are tight on that aren't they. We went to Seaworld in SD and on the way in I thought I was going to be pulled up by what we call a booze bus (road side alcohol breathaliser) only to see a pickup spinning its wheels on a dyno!!! LMAO it's a booze bus for cars!!!! Seriously?

Quote from a friend:
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #163
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Geez those dudes are tight on that aren't they. We went to Seaworld in SD and on the way in I thought I was going to be pulled up by what we call a booze bus (road side alcohol breathaliser) only to see a pickup spinning its wheels on a dyno!!! LMAO it's a booze bus for cars!!!! Seriously?
Yeah, they recently started doing random emissions checks in some of the more populated parts of the state. For now, I believe it's all for research, and sort of a check on the effectiveness of the Smog Check program. There are no fines for not passing.
Here's an article from May...
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_232197...rs-examined-at

Last edited by SLO_Ken; 10-18-2013 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Couldn't find the reference for my supposed "fact."
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #164
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Got my rims back from the wheel day spa the other day. Got the tires all mounted up and balanced.
image-1138015168.jpg
Figured I need to seal the seams or else they'll just rust out so got some SIKA brand sealant down in there pretty tight. Squeezed the top of the nozzle almost flat to get a skinny bead as far down into the seam as possible then used a paint brush frequently dipped in water to smooth out the bead. Came out alright on the third wheel, practice makes perfect.
image-2476010040.jpg
Did the back whilst I was at it.
image-398578577.jpg
Pretty happy with the outcome. Will see if I can get another 27 years out of them.

Reckon I'll try a different approach with these ones otherwise I might end up with a big black mess
image-444756987.jpg
I reckon I'll lay the rims flat and with a syringe I'll squirt some nice waxy rustproofing stuff into the seam and let it soak in. That should work ok I think. Will end up looking the same as the bare seam hopefully

Quote from a friend:
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #165
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I was going to ask if the paint seals those seems, but in retrospect that's just a silly question . Glad you had fun on your trip. Do you have any emissions tests in your homeland?
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.