Gazzo's original Overlander find - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gazzo's original Overlander find

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Gazzo's original Overlander find

Well I got lucky. I was flopping around our equivalent of your Craigslist and found a CJ8 Overlander. The ad had a picture of it on the beach toppo and another couple all roofed up.

Went to see it and when I did a payed the deposit, no questions. It's completely original except for the rims and the silly decals down the side. Overlanders had a particular decal set, the outlines of which can be seen under the ones there now.
Everything is there and works, cigar lighter, underhood light, all the gauges (oil pressure is foreign) even the Pioneer stereo works but sounds aweful.

Apart from a few rust worms under the hood paint and some along the right rear floor connection behind the wheel tub there is NO RUST, not even in all the usual places, side support towers and cowl corners where they usually go. This vehicle had one family all its life with the guy I bought it from having got it from his uncle. Unfortunately he didn't have the purchase paper work or owner's manual.
What he did have though is a full set of 2.5" Rancho springs and Rancho shocks which he never got around to installing.

It is true to its trim tag, Sebring Red (again), black denim with high buckets. 150,000 ks or for you guys 93,000 miles. Everything under the hood is original too. All the smog pipe work is there and connected. The Carter carb is good and she goes like a train, jumps off the mark real quick with what I assume is a TF999 (haven't looked yet).

So the plan is to give this the full monte one day like I was going to do with the other white one but this will be a whole better starting point having very little rust to repair first. Until then though it will go where this one is and this one will be sold to my friend who needs the license plates more than anything for his CJ8.

So we got it all nuded down yesterday arvo and took a spin around the block needless to say smiles all round at another Jeep getting to have a good life. That's my neighbour sittin in there, he wants one of these too.

Sorry for the long post and crappy iphone pictures I but I'm pretty pumped about this CJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

looks like a great find!!
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Dude, that is sweet!!! Congrats!!
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

Great looking rig!
Unread 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Looks Awesome gazzo, wish I could get a find that nice...
Unread 09-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Pretty sweet find.
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

You a-hole!!

j/k congrats
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
phritz
1983 CJ7 

Too right gazzo ! Shouts on you !!
phritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phritz View Post
Too right gazzo ! Shouts on you !!
Come on over, I'm buyin...

Unread 09-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Gotta love those WA jeeps. They never rust! Mine came from Geraldton, it was full of red sand but not a spot of rust.

Looking forward to some more pics Gaz.

Dan.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So today I knocked off a little early and got some wrenching going. The PO had those Rancho 2.5" lift springs and some new shocks which he put in the back when I picked up the Jeep. Decided to get those fitted up since the fronts were real flat, bushes were all a bit of a mess too. First thing was to move it out near the door to get some good light and underneath I found a little horror story, 1 engine leak and one tranny leak (or two). Reminded me of Hoover Dam from a plane a few years ago. Guess I'll have to get onto that at some stage.

Here it is before I started, bit sagged in front but pretty good out the back:

Surprisingly all the bolts in the rear came out real easy, obviously been removed sometime over the last 26 years. The front wasn't quite as good. Looked in parts like the PO got a bit sick of trying and gave up. I had to get the 9" out with the cutoff disc (the other grinders are Metabo 5" and are both U/S). The 9" made short work of the fixed end 9/16 bolts.

The shocks that were in were Monroe Gas and seemed in good order but I have new Ranchos so I figure what the heck, put them in. Half hour changeout if I don't like them.

Anyway a few hours after I started there she is all up right and looking smart. Except for those bloody stripes! They gotta go! SOON!!

I am am getting the original steels from my Renegade stripped, blasted and powdercoated bright silver. The plan is to mount up the new tyres that are on the other 8 onto the steel wagon wheels and get them on to this 8. They're 31s so they'll look and ride the same as these things which are in the pictures on the turbine mags. I like the look of the original real steels all silver. Really liked them on my old FSJ.

Whilst I was poking around under hood getting a couple of snaps I found something unexpected which I had missed, the original jack and tools all bracketed up and intact. Haven't seen that before.

My 84 CJ7 has a leather pouch which sits on the floor beside the left seat and is held in place with a little webbing strap which goes through a steel fin with a slot in it. All factory, anyone ever seen this before?

Anyway that's all to report at this stage, been out at a nickel mine for two days then a day in the office (playing Jeeps for half of that) then out to another mine up north tomorrow for another couple of days. We'll see what happens this weekend I guess.

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Sweet find dude, I would love to have one like that over here.
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Sweet find dude, I would love to have one like that over here.
Thanks twinstick, I did get lucky with this CJ.

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
wm69

That's interesting on the jack. US jeeps had a scissor jack mounted on the inner passenger fender.........

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Do they use the Toyota style front turn signal/marker light on all the Jeep CJ's down there? I can see the emblem in the fender marker spot but whats in the original grill signal/marker light location? Looks like vents???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.