Gazzo's CJ10 Truck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gazzo's CJ10 Truck

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 03-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

I thought I'd share this since I don't think you guys have many of these CJ10 trucks over there. Not the way they were sent overseas anyways. We got a few here in Oz and I have seen a few from time to time on various car sales web sites.

I have always wanted and FSJ J10 truck and actually passed up a J20 dually a year ago which was cheap and only a half hour from my home.:
An alternative was a CJ10 which as I said there are a few of around here like this

or even this work truck

So last week I was looking for building materials of all things and came across this Jeep (hmmm somehow :shrug: ) It was a few hours' drive out into the wheat belt from where I am in Fremantle and for $1000 I just couldn't resist.
Grabbed a trailer and got gettin'.

Back story on the truck is pretty much one owner who bought it in '85 and drove it all over Australia with his wife, it has 294,000 kilometers on the clock, 10k per year nearly which I guess is pretty average. More recently it's been used by relatives for shooting 'roos and general paddock bashing hence the mud everywhere underneath including the spare

The specs are:
Diesel Nissan 3.3L I6.
T4 (I'm told, have to check that out, reverse is to the right and down same as my T5's in my other CJs, not that means much I guess)
Dana60 rear and 44 front I'm pretty sure (again I have to do my homework)
and this transfer case

Inside everything works (again so I'm told), there's vinyl on the floor which is good, tan interior with a couple of typical wear rips on the seats at the entry sides which is a shame and an ash tray.

Steering wheel is on the correct side

Outside the body is excellent for a near thirty truck with the only rust being down on the right side at THAT place. The triangles however are spotless as is the underside of the cowl.

Also it seems they ran out of CJ10 badges and decided to pilfer some J10 ones from somewhere on the factory floor. Proper CJ10 badges do exist and would make me feel better than having these J10 ones "on loan". It's also a Jeep not a Joop.

It must have got crashed through a gate at some point which got stuck on the front

so it was the first thing to go

hmmm still a face only a mother could love but I'm getting used to it pretty fast.

The tray on the back is all steel and is huge, should clean up real nice with a blast and paint

Unfortunately the fuel tank was removed for cleaning and was thrown out by some workshop numpty into the scrap steel bin and is gone. I'm in the process of finding a Cherokee tank which hopefully will fit. If I can't find one I'll get one made, nice and big and maybe ally.

VIN syas it's number 105 off the line, not bad. Gotta check out the rest of the code

So I'm not sure how far I'll go with this truck, it sure deserves the full treatment, but at the moment all I want to do is go load it up with stuff and drive it around. Money is tight for Jeep loving right now too.
For the short term it will be:
Tray bed and sides, remove/blast/paint
Tank, source and install
Frame, clean up, strip paint etc (no tub off at this point)
Engine, fix some bits and pieces
Electrics, check/fix all
Tyres, get fatter ones but keep the solid old school rims
Renew all the bloods (seals replaced where necessary first)
Seats and flooring out, strip/clean/prep and monstaliner or similar
Inspect and repair brakes as required (discs are fat and unscored so I think brakes may all be good).
Over the pits for registration and I'll call it good to go.

So wish me luck and if there are any experts on this oil burner SD33 I'm open to advice if you have time.

Edit: box is a T176 and the transfer case is NP208 this is from the vin decoder . I know the box is strong but I know nothing of the transfer case

Edit edit: 4.10 diffs too

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Nice find at a good price! Stout axles...

I like the split front seat.

Keep us posted on the progress, once you get started with the restoration.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Sweet score Gary. The old Chief you got rid of is the model for my next, next project (after my J20). I want to build it for my daughter. I hope you do this one up nice, and keep us informed!!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Cool rig, Gary. And it appears to be in decent shape, too.

Subscribed!

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely a face only a mother can love lol. It's unique to say the least. Good luck on the resto!
NotSoMelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Very cool Gary!
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Excellent! That split bench seat is way cool - definitely never seen anything like that and I'm so curious why it wasn't implemented in CJ8s here...Have you ever seen them? For $1000, can't beat that with a stick!
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That is a Great find! Im jealous!

Ive seen a few old tugs for airplanes that are basically a shortened version. Ive always wanted to get one and extend the frame.
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
wm69

Awesome. I was wondering when you said T4 in a truck that size. T176 makes much more sense.

Interesting front seat. Guess that's the highback version of the 60/40 seat.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

NP208 is a stout case used in fullsized trucks and SUV's. Ford, Chevy, Jeep and Dodge all used it at one point or another.
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller
NP208 is a stout case used in fullsized trucks and SUV's. Ford, Chevy, Jeep and Dodge all used it at one point or another.
Good to know. I guess if I get a FSM for an FSJ I'll be covered for mechanical info on the frame and drive train.

I had a reasonable day yesterday. I scored a Cherokee tank for 250 bucks and got that mounted up temporarily. Fits right in. Gotta sort out a couple of return hose fittings. Also have to weld some nuts to the chassis rails for the tank mounting bolts.
image-2223011953.jpg

So once I got the tank all mounted I figured the time was right to try and start him up. Got it going and it ran a bit rough until it loosened up a bit. Not a lot of smoke either which I'm happy about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHYzizEC-E

So then it was on to the clutch. New seals for the MC and bolted it up. The return spring has disappeared from the clutch pedal which is a bummer. I managed to pull the rod and retainer clip etc right back out through the end seal by pulling up on the pedal so that's my job for this morning.
At this point I want to get driving it so I can gauge what's needed mechanically before I start stripping it down. Excited about going for a spin today hopefully.

Unread 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Gary,
What a great find! Was the Nissan diesel engine stock or added by a PO? I love the idea of a diesel CJ, even a diesel Jeep truck. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That motor sounds sweet!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #14
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really loving this thing. So today I got the fuel delivery sorted out with my diesel mechanic friend, had a couple of bleed plugs I wasn't aware of which needed a tweak. Started up just fine. After I took that vid yesterday I found a new fuel filter in the cab so stuck that on. Couldn't get it going after that though. Anyway he's all good now and after fixing the clutch again we hit the road for a test drive
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Man this thing is no rocket ship but rides nice, steers and stops straight and seems to pull OK. I still think I have a fuel delivery problem. I'll work on that. I have some clunks under the front which need investigating. All the shock bushes look knackered even tho the shocks don't look that old. Again I'll check that out in time. Parked it up next to the shiney red tomato for comparison, good lord these two are different! Ones all pretty and the other one's red!!! image-3281011221.jpg

Edit: hey Jon the diesel was the stock issue/option on the Aussie ones at least, not sure about the African or South American ones.

Unread 03-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Thanks for the info Gary. Wish there had been a diesel option for U.S. models back in the day...
God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.