Gauge Wiring Temperature and Oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gauge Wiring Temperature and Oil

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
AdnanBatman
1981 CJ7 

Gauge Wiring Temperature and Oil

i have a cj7 with a 92 4.0 liter engine out of a Cherokee.
i dont know how to hook up the gauge with the engine. i dont know if the switch is mechanical or electric, but the output for the engine is electric. its a sun pro brand, and came in the jeep when i purchased it. The guy i bought it from said i should wire it AFTER the fuze box, so where would i splice into the wire to hook up the gauge. according to the guy, it has been wired from the engine to the fuze box but i dont know if it is for sure. is there a way to test that? and how would i wire it after the fuze box?
thanks to all help!

AdnanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanBatman View Post
i have a cj7 with a 92 4.0 liter engine out of a Cherokee.
i dont know how to hook up the gauge with the engine. i dont know if the switch is mechanical or electric, but the output for the engine is electric. its a sun pro brand, and came in the jeep when i purchased it. The guy i bought it from said i should wire it AFTER the fuze box, so where would i splice into the wire to hook up the gauge. according to the guy, it has been wired from the engine to the fuse box but i don't know if it is for sure. is there a way to test that? and how would i wire it after the fuze box?
thanks to all help!

Did the PO put the 4.0 into your jeep and the Sunpro gauge or did you put the 4.0 in and the jeep already had a Sunpro gauge installed?

To me it sounds as if the PO installed the Sunpro temperature gauge but did not finish the job. He already ran the wire from the sensor through the bulkhead connector to the gauge. The bulkhead connector is sometimes called the fuse box because they are attached to each other. He just never wired up the power which has to go to a fused circuit. preferably one that is switched off with the key.

I would splice it into the power wire to the Oil pressure gauge. That way all the gauges are on the same circuit.

The only way you can find out if the wire is installed through the bulkhead connector is to trace it out by hand or buy one of those network ringers that you attache a transmitter on one side and use a hand receiver to track down were it runs.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
AdnanBatman
1981 CJ7 

No those gauges were hooked up to the original engine 2.5L. So he did the swap. I don't know if they would work with the 4.0 and if they would work, how?
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So everything was working before and just need to hook it up to the 4.0.

The oil pressure would work if the threads match but you could always buy an adapter.

The temp may be a little more 'interesting' You need to find out were the original temp sensor screws into the 4.0
Then see if the Sunpro sensor screws into that hole.
Or see if the stock 4.0 sensor has the same resistance range as the Sunpro sensor.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
AdnanBatman
1981 CJ7 

How do i find the resistance range for the 4.0 sensor. Sorry I'm very new to the jeep life.
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Temp sender on the 4.0 is in the thermostat housing.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I just look up stuff like this on Jeepforum using the Search facility. Straight from the Cherokee forum:

212 farenheit 185 ohms
160 farenheit 450 ohms
100 farenheit 1600 ohms
70 farenheit 3400 ohms
40 farenheit 7500 ohms
20 farenheit 13,500 ohms
0 farenheit 25,000 ohms
-40 farenheit 100,700 ohms

It was cheap and quick but probably wrong, goodness knows where all this data comes from on Jeepforum.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.