gauge trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gauge trouble

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
jeepster18_88

gauge trouble

I have an '85 CJ7 with a 4.2L. The gauges aren't reading right and I don't have very experience with electrical trouble. The temp gauge reads almost all the way on hot before cranking even in cold weather. The fuel gauge reads a little less than half when it is full. The voltage gauge reads pegged out when engine is running and just above 14 when it not. The oil pressure gauge reads above 0 before starting and a little above 20 when idling. It seems to me that all the gauges are off. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this? What would be the cheapest route in fixing the problem? Could it be caused by a bad voltage regulator? Are there any sites that show or tell how to test and fix the problems I'm having? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Unread 02-04-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

You mkay be right about the volatage regulator.

Most good manuals, like Haynes and Chilton, even the Jeep Bible, have specs for the resitance for each gauge. You will have to use an elecrical multi purpose thingy to read the ohms for each, after you disconnect each gauge. There may even be a way to test the voltage regulator, but I've never looked into that.

While I too am an electrical idiot, this is really not that hard to do. Good luck.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 08:46 AM   #3
Nicks_Little_CJ_Tank

Ditto to CJeep on the one. Like my other reply, I would recommend consulting the Haynes manual before anything else. It shouldn't be too hard, and a lot cheaper than taking it to an 'honest' mechanic, if one exists .

Nick

"The Little CJ Tank"
Nicks_Little_CJ_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 01:28 PM   #4
JIM79CJ7

This will answer all your questions and then some ! gauge info !
Goodluck , JIM

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
JIM79CJ7

Sorry about that , TRy this ! null jim

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
jeepster18_88

Thanks for all the help. I'm not so sure about the Haynes manual though. One came with the CJ and I'm about ready to burn it. It good for some things but it's no help on fixing the things the previous owner screwed up trying to fix. I'll keep it anyway 'cause it still knows more than I do. Thanks again.
Unread 02-06-2002, 01:34 AM   #7
Guy Hollister

That link is certainly informative,.... but the one theing it assumes is there is a big problem... as did I when I had this exact same problem...

The temp gauge was sky high... i didn't have a clue so i called a mate... he said uh oh ... your thermostat is blocked or dead... remove and check it ... so i, being the obedient idiot that i am did this... guess what it tested fine in my kettle and now all my coffee tastes of CJ blood - [but thats good]... then i replaced it... then he said uh oh... that means it might be your water pump could be buggered ... but i dont know - good luck - bye....!

I shook my fist...

I called a jeep mechanic... he said "seen it a 1,000 times"... and is it both fuel and temp or just temp ? I said ahhhh haaa he knows something... just temp i said... he said remove the temp push on connector at the back of the gauge... its 5 cm's up from the bottom of the dash... wait and then turn on the ingition... then replace it.

I did.... it reset the gauge.... and the problem was fixed.

All it was is the contact between the connector and my gauge post was not perfect. Don't go all crazy with volt meters and screwdrivers before you do that... and if its both gauges then remove both wires... but the are in serial so the temp removal will effect the fuel reading as well.

Good luck.

Experience is the best way to learn - and always ask more than one mate before removing a thermostat or anything else for that matter.

Guy
Kung Fu.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.