Gaucho part II - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gaucho part II

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #106
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

I wasn't going to say anything as it's your Jeep to decide whatever you like, but this is the way I look at the engine choice.

You have one of the coolest custom one-off Jeeps around. Period. Even forgetting about the "what the factory would have built" thing and the "keep it Jeep/AMC" thing, if you're talking about putting a 350 in there you're saying that the single most common swap in ANY vehicle type (not just Jeeps) is good enough for this awesome one-off custom Jeep.

Personally, I think you know you'll have tons of Jeep folks drooling all over this, so imagine having someone come up to you to ask all about it, walk around and admire the custom body work and detail and then ask to see the engine..... and there sits the beige Toyota Camry of V8 swaps. Easy, simple, boring as hell and same as everyone else.

Again, your rig to do with as you please, but I'm guessing the same little voice in the back of your head that made you want this thing in the first place is not shutting up and accepting that the 350 is acceptable and that's why it might be hard to choose.

I say listen to the little voice

'77 Cherokee with old and new stuff
bigwalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #107
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I'd drop in a 6.1L Hemi SRT8 Gaucho
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #108
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

People get WAY to emotional over engine swaps. If it runs reliably, has adequate power for your intended use, and is acceptably economical, run with it. Who cares which factory originally made it or whether it was original equipment in a Jeep. You don't have a Jeep anyway, you have a one-off custom vehicle made by Jeff Scherb, which uses a Jeep as its foundation.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #109
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
People get WAY to emotional over engine swaps. If it runs reliably, has adequate power for your intended use, and is acceptably economical, run with it. Who cares which factory originally made it or whether it was original equipment in a Jeep. You don't have a Jeep anyway, you have a one-off custom vehicle made by Jeff Scherb, which uses a Jeep as its foundation.
I'm with you, but still a 6.1L hemi would be awsome in that thing and unique. But really the thing is a work of art and any engine that's put in isn't going to take away from the vehicles uniqueness.
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #110
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
But really the thing is a work of art and any engine that's put in isn't going to take away from the vehicles uniqueness.
That's where I disagree, but to each his own
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #111
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You all have great points. Personally, I like the 350. Its a great motor, reliable, easy to find parts, etc. But I may have to agree about it being boring for this truck. My budget is a little tight also, so that will unfortunately affect choices. I have been searching ebay and craigslist for complete drivetrains, but am a little worried about the quality. You never know what you are getting.
Does anyone know if a modern drivetrain is used, with all the computers and electronics, can stock cj gauges be used? Specifically the speedo.
Also, I know you are all growing impatient with the lack of progress. I'm not going to make excuses, I'm slacking, sorry.
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #112
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

Sure. I have a 97 4.0/AW4 in my Scrambler using all the stock gauges. It only takes a little work and extra parts.

Here's the thread I did on it.

Postal going 4.0/AW4 - Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler Forums

The speedo can be made to work by getting a Hesco unit that has both the electrical feed for the computer and the speedo cable connection. Plug and play. http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...100&catId=7902
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #113
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
Sure. I have a 97 4.0/AW4 in my Scrambler using all the stock gauges. It only takes a little work and extra parts.

Here's the thread I did on it.

Postal going 4.0/AW4 - Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler Forums

The speedo can be made to work by getting a Hesco unit that has both the electrical feed for the computer and the speedo cable connection. Plug and play. Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service
Thank you. And I see that your Scrambler recently got a Safari Cab looks good
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #114
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

Hah, yeah. Unfortunately that's as close as I've come to ending up with a piece of his handiwork You're living a lot of us guys' dream.
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #115
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
Thank you. And I see that your Scrambler recently got a Safari Cab looks good
Hey Monte, your Jeep got a Safari Cab too, a long time ago I did a concept drawing of the Safari half cab on the Gaucho, I just never posted the drawing. (check my copyright notice, it says 2009 ) I had planned to build a CJ Safari half cab for the Gaucho when I finished my LJ full cab, but you bought the Gaucho from me before I could get to that project. I'd still like to build a Safari half cab, but I no longer have a vehicle to use it on, so i guess I'll have to put that project idea on hold for some future vehicle.

Quote:
Personally, I like the 350. Its a great motor, reliable, easy to find parts, etc. But I may have to agree about it being boring for this truck.
Just read a few issues of Street Rodder and you'll find out how to make a 350 less boring.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #116
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Hey Monte, your Jeep got a Safari Cab too, a long time ago I did a concept drawing of the Safari half cab on the Gaucho, I just never posted the drawing. (check my copyright notice, it says 2009 ) I had planned to build a CJ Safari half cab for the Gaucho when I finished my LJ full cab, but you bought the Gaucho from me before I could get to that project. I'd still like to build a Safari half cab, but I no longer have a vehicle to use it on, so i guess I'll have to put that project idea on hold for some future vehicle.

Just read a few issues of Street Rodder and you'll find out how to make a 350 less boring.
Unless he really wanted it, he could always bring it back to you so you could have the vehicle there to make it. Just depends on how bad we wants it.
Unread 10-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #117
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Hey Monte, your Jeep got a Safari Cab too, a long time ago I did a concept drawing of the Safari half cab on the Gaucho.
To be quite honest, I don't think the Safari half cab looks as good on the Gaucho as the top that is on it now. The squared off look and the sharp lines don't fit well with the round curves of the Gaucho. The top it has now flows with the rounded body lines of the hood and fenders.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #118
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=jscherb;10255289]Hey Monte, your Jeep got a Safari Cab too, a long time ago I did a concept drawing of the Safari half cab on the Gaucho, I just never posted the drawing. (check my copyright notice, it says 2009 ) I had planned to build a CJ Safari half cab for the Gaucho when I finished my LJ full cab, but you bought the Gaucho from me before I could get to that project. I'd still like to build a Safari half cab, but I no longer have a vehicle to use it on, so i guess I'll have to put that project idea on hold for some future vehicle.

Jeff, if you are still interested in making a CJ based half top, maybe we can work something out where you can have the tub while I work on the frame and suspension.
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #119
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeff, if you are still interested in making a CJ based half top, maybe we can work something out where you can have the tub while I work on the frame and suspension.
Joe,
Thanks for the offer, but in the next week I'll be starting a new project that doesn't involve a half-cab, so I think I'll wait on the half-cab idea for a future project. And who knows, by the time I get around to a project that requires a half-cab, maybe I'll just be able to get the Safari Cab fiberglass parts from the company that's working on bringing them to market instead of having to do the fiberglass work myself.
Jeff

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #120
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, just figured I'd offer since I'm not doing anything with the body right now.

I just bought new leaf springs for my Wrangler, so the 3.5" Fabtech leaf springs that are on it right now will be going onto Gaucho. I still have to buy a few suspension components before I start swapping things.

A few weeks ago I went to the Catskills Jeep Jamboree. It was a real good time. One person there had a JK in Sunburst Orange. I didn't want to pick the color until I saw it in person. Now that I have seen it in person, I can say that it is the color to go with.

Here is a pic of my YJ from the Jamboree.
catskill-jambo-2010-230.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.