Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gaucho part II

48K views 170 replies 79 participants last post by  JoonHoss 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of you know Gaucho very well. For those who don't, it is a CJ based pick-up created by Jeff Scherb over a ten month build in 2009 that he documented here, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gaucho-cj-stepside-pickup-build-709132/ . He based this on an original vehicle created by Brian Chuchua at his dealership in Southern California in 1976. After Jeff built the body and frame, he felt he accomplished his mission and decided to sell it. That is where I step in, as I was lucky enough to buy this beautiful piece of art. It is now my duty to complete this.

Like Jeff, I would like to build the truck to look like it actually was built by Jeep. I have a few ideas, but I'm not committed to anything. One thing I know for sure, is that it won't be yellow like the original. Sorry, I know I'll get hate mail, but I just don't like it. Unlike Jeff, I'm a wheeler. Gaucho will see some trails in its life. It will NOT be a hard core trail machine, I have a YJ and am building a YJ based CJ6 for that.

I do want to hear from you with ideas. I sat at the computer and read every post from the original build for many many hours. I took notes of what parts and ideas Jeff used and ideas that many of you mentioned. I am listening.

Just so all of you that followed Jeff and his build know, I am not good with a computer or work as fast as he. So all those design drawings you are used to, well I just don't even know where to start with that. The daily updates, nope not here. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy retired life yet, I need to go to work.:(

Jeff, thank you for this opportunity, I'll try not to disappoint. Joe

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think the color is going to be much of an issue either way, unless it was pink or fuscia or something weird like that.

As for drivetrain, if you stay all AMC, then you won't get flamed... if you just trhow a 350 in it, well, you are on your own.

As for the other contention, it was CJ drivetrain vs. YJ, I saw a lot of comments with that.

As for the rest, I am not sure what you are thinking, but I would stay away from 20+" rims or you might get some hate mail as well.

Swapping in anything pre-1980 would probably get you good points... 401, waggy axles, etc. etc.

Just my observations on a long and very well done build... heck, the rear bumper is from one of my Jeeps ;)

cb

#5 ·
...Just so all of you that followed Jeff and his build know, I am not good with a computer or work as fast as he. So all those design drawings you are used to, well I just don't even know where to start with that. The daily updates, nope not here. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy retired life yet, I need to go to work.:(
Hey Joe,

If you need any design drawings, just let me know and I'll try to do them for you.

Best of luck with the build, I'm sure you won't disappoint us!

Jeff

#27 ·
Jeff, thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it once I have a design plan.

It seems that the majority of you want to see an inline six or an AMC v8. I know the 4.0 well, and know it is an awesome motor and will last for hundreds of thousands of miles, but I am actually leaning towards a V8. I think that is what the Gaucho wants too. I have always been a Chevy fan, and that is what I was planning to use. They are plentiful, cheap, reliable, huge aftermarket support, and have basically been in production since the fifties. But after reading all of you pushing for 304s 360s 401s, I'm beginning to think about that option. My question to you is how plentiful, cheap, reliable are these? What kind of aftermarket support will I find with them? In 10, 15, 20 years, when I have motor trouble, will I find the parts as easily as I would the infamous Chevy 350?

Now I know I said I want Gaucho to look like it rolled out of Toledo, but using only AMC parts I think might be a bit much. I mean how many of you have modified your Jeeps with suspension lifts, engine/ tranny swaps, aftermarket bumpers, wheels/ tires, body armor, etc, and nobody would think twice that it didn't come off a Jeep assembly line. I'm not against any idea, ok I'm against a 4 cylinder. I think it is totally possible to build this Jeep to appear as if it came off an assembly line, but was modified somewhat by its owner through the years, if that makes any sense.

#6 ·
Aahhhhhh, all is right with the world again! :D Thanks for continuing on with the build for the rest of us to see. :thumbsup:

I'm a little mixed in my opinions on what direction your project should take. I like the idea of the 4.0L power plant and agree that waggy axles (D44/D44 or M20/D44) would be a nice compliment to that. If it weren't such a unique build I'd suggest Yota axles but I don't want to get banned! :laugh:

#7 ·
:popCorn::popCorn::popCorn::popCorn:

I'm hoping your comment about making like Jeep would have made it means keeping the drivetrain AMC/Jeep (obviously it's your rig though.) So I vote 360/401 or 4.0 with whatever tranny you prefer and matching strength axles (Waggy D44 and HD20 would be a good combo with a D300 IMHO).

What size tires are you planning on running or is that up for input?

#8 ·
:popCorn::popCorn:

So glad I can continue watching this one!

#9 ·
I personally like the idea of the 350, but as mentioned, you will receive some hate mail. I too am excited the continuation of this build will stay here on JF. Im sure you will do Jeff proud. I hope you can do all the pretty drawings Jeff can do too. :D

Anyway, best of luck with finishing this beauty.

#28 ·
I personally like the idea of the 350, but as mentioned, you will receive some hate mail. I too am excited the continuation of this build will stay here on JF. Im sure you will do Jeff proud. I hope you can do all the pretty drawings Jeff can do too. :D

Anyway, best of luck with finishing this beauty.
At least I know this Devil Dog won't hate me if I use a 350. Semper Fi

#14 ·
Monte,

time and perhaps money are your only constraints as you have plenty of extremely qualified people here in the Forum that would jump at the chance to help you out when you need it...thanks for keeping us updated and ask any question you have...

#17 · (Edited)
Dangit! I missed out on the opportunity to buy JScherb's SWEET Scrambler and now I missed the all famous Gaucho! Blast being in Germany for as long as I have! $8400 is a steal for that hand-crafted work of art. I have no doubt that Mopar will be "borrowing" his design ideas in the future. Monte, make us proud brother.

#18 ·
What was Jeff's original Idea for the Gaucho? Wasn't it something like make it close to the original with a few tasteful upgrades that they should've done at the factory?

I would keep with that logic, drop in a sensible engine 258, 4.0, 304, 360 something along those lines, t18 6.32, d20 and go with that. It would say along the lines of the vintage sort of, and be nice additions. I would also drop a TBI on there, except the 4.0 for obvious reasons.

That's just my take on it.

#19 ·
My original idea was to follow the lead of the original Gaucho, build something that was built the way the factory would have if they had built a stepside pickup, and along the way a make few improvements to some compromises they made in the construction of the original Gaucho. I wanted people's first impression of it to be "I didn't know Jeep made CJ pickups", not "wow, that's a cool custom", so I kept everything as "factory" as possible.

For example, the original used a 101" wheelbase CJ-6 frame (or the later 103" frame, I'm not 100% sure), which resulted in a cramped cab and bed - the rear fenders were forced to butt up against the back of the cab because the short frame made the bed too short. To improve on this I made the new Gaucho wheelbase 113.5". I also made the cab larger than the original, the new Gaucho cab is the same size as the Scrambler, and the original was a few inches shorter than that.

Sticking with the factory theme, when I built the frame, I kept everything stock, so that factory CJ-7/CJ-8 engines and running gear would bolt right up. Because of that, any conversion kits - engine mount adapters, lift kits, etc., that are designed to work on a stock CJ will work in the Gaucho, so there are lots and lots of bolt-in options Joe can choose from when it comes to engines, drivetrains and suspensions.

Jeff

#20 ·
jest chimin' in 'cause i wanna get in on the ground floor of this one .ive been quitely following the build up of gaucho since i found it a few weeks ago now im ready to join the fun ,good luck monte whatever you do,we'll be watching!

#22 ·
and to jsherb,thanks for many hours of exiteing reading, i learned alot from watching you work,felt like we were all along with you,you seem like a real genuine nice guy with a great family life and a great shop.and as the kids say"mad skills",something we all can aspire to.good luck in you next project we'll be watching

#23 ·
(Waggy D44 and HD20 would be a good combo with a D300 IMHO).

im sorry call me a newbee,waggy? now familiar with that term.any help?

#29 ·
My point to my previous post, is not to start a bitter AMC vs GM vs Ford war. My point is that Jeepers have been swapping components practically as long as there has been Jeeps. Its what we do to make the vehicle what we want. Here is a link to prove my point. Magazine Archive August 1964 Jeep Wagoneer | Four Wheeler Magazine Article at Automotive.com It is an article from Four Wheeler Magazine August 1964 showing a 289 Ford Cobra engine swap into a Jeep Wagoneer. And on top of that, it was performed by Brian Chuchua, the original creator of the Gaucho in 1976, at his shop in Southern California. It doesn't make it any less Jeep,IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.