Gaucho part II - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gaucho part II

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Reply
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #76
corndogduff
Registered User
1992  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mormonville, UT
Posts: 3,329
I love the gaucho. Subbed.

__________________
Duff.
(broken)98 ZJ 5.9
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #77
Petescj
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Slatington Pa
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
AMC 360, T18 with granny low , dana 300, 4.10's on 33's with lockers is what I thought I would put in it if I owned it...and Monte, you are right in saying that you don't hack up all the good work Jeff put into it...
This is the way Id go. Love the Gaucho!!! Your a lucky man. Subscribed.
Petescj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #78
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby533 View Post
I've got a 360 out of a late 80's or early 90's waggy that I took apart and acid dipped at work. I'm not going to use it, your more than welcome to come pick it up and use for the project. Needs rebuilt, but it's ready for the machine shop. No brackets though. IM me if you want it, I'll drop an address.
Thank you for the offer, but I am going to pass. I haven't decided on a drivetrain yet and I don't want to start collecting parts I may not use. I'm limited in the space I have because of my collection of parts for other projects that I'm not getting to.(talking about me here)

Last edited by monte jeep; 08-06-2010 at 09:02 PM..
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #79
scooby533
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 156
No prob, it's an open offer. If you want it and it's still here, it's yours! I sourced a SBC 350 and 700R4 out of a 9C1 police caprice. I'm going to use that, It's complete from pulleys to trans. I've just got to put a 4WD output shaft in the trans when I rebuild it. It's throttle body injected and came with computer and harness. I figure I'll do that in the next year or two. House takes priority.
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #80
06UnlimtedDL
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Yadkinville, NC
Posts: 88
Congrats, glad to see it stay on the forum!
06UnlimtedDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #81
mjfitz99
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
don't mind me (just pulling up a virtual stool)



Hoss
I'm right to you Hoss! I'm glad it's back!
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #82
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
I finally sold the YJ frame that was in my driveway, and now I have space to work on Gaucho. So the first thing I did was install the 2 1/2 in lift springs that came with it. I then put a set off 33's on, that I had on a cj5 project. I put one of Jeff's pictures in for comparison.

The one thing I noticed is how close the tire is to the bed of the truck and how far they stick out from the flare. The tire is a 33x 12.50. I have two options to resolve this. First is to use a 33x 10.50 and the other option is to build a wheel well into the bed.

Another thing that may cause a problem, is the wheel opening in the flare. When the suspension compresses, will the tires catch the bottom of the flares?
assembled13.jpg   8-10-10-003.jpg   8-10-10-006.jpg   8-10-10-008.jpg  
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #83
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
I finally sold the YJ frame that was in my driveway, and now I have space to work on Gaucho. So the first thing I did was install the 2 1/2 in lift springs that came with it. I then put a set off 33's on, that I had on a cj5 project. I put one of Jeff's pictures in for comparison.

The one thing I noticed is how close the tire is to the bed of the truck and how far they stick out from the flare. The tire is a 33x 12.50. I have two options to resolve this. First is to use a 33x 10.50 and the other option is to build a wheel well into the bed.

Another thing that may cause a problem, is the wheel opening in the flare. When the suspension compresses, will the tires catch the bottom of the flares?
I vote 33x10.50's with proper back spacing, one of my favorite tire sizes. It'll look a lot more natural, and fit better as well, without having to stick to a 31 or 32.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #84
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I vote 33x10.50's with proper back spacing, one of my favorite tire sizes. It'll look a lot more natural, and fit better as well, without having to stick to a 31 or 32.
That's what I was thinking too. This is the tire size I have on my YJ. One of these days I'll swap a tire from that onto one of the cj rims to see how it fits.
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #85
cheapjeeps85
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: co springs, co
Posts: 534
its looking good on 33s
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #86
Gonewhln
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
I have been to both but not as much as I would like. I like the type of trails at rausch creek more. I don't think I've been to either since 2008
I need to go. And Gaucho will take a trip to them at least once, it is a Jeep.
I wouldn't take that on any trails if it were mine, if i had know it was on ebay i would have snaked it from ya.
I would finish it up and just wheel it around and on the beaches of the Outer Banks of N.C. and let people DROOOOOLLLL over it.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #87
trust
Registered User
1982 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: White Rock
Posts: 1
anything new on the Gaucho? FWIW, my $0.02 would be 258 with a 4.0 head and efi or a 4.0, auto trans, d 300, rear D44 with 4.10s and 33s either 10.5 or 12.5 in an AT tread. Since you have a built YJ I'd build the Gaucho much more street friendly and I'd drive it daily.
trust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #88
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust View Post
anything new on the Gaucho? FWIW, my $0.02 would be 258 with a 4.0 head and efi or a 4.0, auto trans, d 300, rear D44 with 4.10s and 33s either 10.5 or 12.5 in an AT tread. Since you have a built YJ I'd build the Gaucho much more street friendly and I'd drive it daily.
Honestly, no nothing new. I have been going through different things to try and figure out what to do. I can't seem to make any decisions. This will be a milder build to be street friendly. I'd rather take my time now, make the right choices and plan them out, then redoing something later. I want to see this done just as much as all of you.
I've been thinking of a new suspension for my YJ. If I do that, I'll use the 3.5 Fabtec springs on Gaucho. But I've also been looking at others for Gaucho. I know it will be on 33's, so a 3-4 in lift will be used.
The other major decision is the drivetrain. I leaning towards a v-8 but haven't dismissed the inline 6.
I think the first major thing I'm going to do is paint the truck. I was going to use one of the original 1983 colors, but to be honest, they aren't great. I think the dark colors (black, dark blue and green) would hide the details of this truck. The only factory color I kind of like is slate blue metallic. I started looking at other Jeep colors and found some nice ones. One color that has grabbed my attention is a 2009 Wrangler color, sunburst orange. What do you think? What colors do you guys think Gaucho should be?
slate-blue-82-cj.jpg   sunburst-orange.jpg   sunburst-orange-2.jpg  
__________________
1989 YJ 3.5" Fabtech lift, 33" bfg, CJ grille/ hood swap
1983 "Gaucho" CJ pickup
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #89
mavsfan001
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
Honestly, no nothing new. I have been going through different things to try and figure out what to do. I can't seem to make any decisions. This will be a milder build to be street friendly. I'd rather take my time now, make the right choices and plan them out, then redoing something later. I want to see this done just as much as all of you.
I've been thinking of a new suspension for my YJ. If I do that, I'll use the 3.5 Fabtec springs on Gaucho. But I've also been looking at others for Gaucho. I know it will be on 33's, so a 3-4 in lift will be used.
The other major decision is the drivetrain. I leaning towards a v-8 but haven't dismissed the inline 6.
I think the first major thing I'm going to do is paint the truck. I was going to use one of the original 1983 colors, but to be honest, they aren't great. I think the dark colors (black, dark blue and green) would hide the details of this truck. The only factory color I kind of like is slate blue metallic. I started looking at other Jeep colors and found some nice ones. One color that has grabbed my attention is a 2009 Wrangler color, sunburst orange. What do you think? What colors do you guys think Gaucho should be?
I like the orange color think it would great!!!!!
mavsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #90
XJAbuzer
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,335
I think the slate blue metallic would fit it better.
__________________
Abuzed 2000 Cherokee...black -n- blue build

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.