Gaucho part II - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gaucho part II

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #61
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
...I don't think tires larger than 33's (maybe 35's) will fit in the rear wheel wells without cutting the fenders that Jeff made. I am not cutting them (don't worry Jeff), and besides, I think 33's are enough for the Gaucho.
Joe,
It's your Jeep now, you should feel free to cut or change anything you want to, make it however you want it.
jeff

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #62
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
I would think stock axles could easily handle 33's. Mine have held up OK behind my 5.3L on 33's now for over a year with no problems. Its all in how you drive it. I'm hoping you dont plan on beating this thing like it stole something from you!
Ok, then maybe I'll stick with these axles. And no, I won't be beating on this truck. Playing in the mud and trails once in a while, yes. Going full throttle over the rock creek at rausch creek, no.
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #63
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

AMC 360, T18 with granny low , dana 300, 4.10's on 33's with lockers is what I thought I would put in it if I owned it...and Monte, you are right in saying that you don't hack up all the good work Jeff put into it...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #64
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
I would think stock axles could easily handle 33's. Mine have held up OK behind my 5.3L on 33's now for over a year with no problems. Its all in how you drive it. I'm hoping you dont plan on beating this thing like it stole something from you!
Just my experience, but after I dropped the 360 in my CJ with stock axles on 33s, it took 3 days before I broke a 2pc shaft. Granted, the axle is spooled and I goosed the throttle in a turn, but I would definitely recommend 1-pc shafts if you plan to keep the M20 rear end with big power.

Since going to 1-pc axles, I haven't had any trouble with V8 power + M20 rear + 33s.
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #65
berettajeep
1947 CJ2A 

Subscribed.
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #66
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

yeah, I always assume people are going to upgrade to 1pc shafts when they rebuild an AMC20... I should have mentioned that...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #67
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

For such a cool vehicle you might be able to find sponsors to partner with. If you didn't care too much about the exact drive train and paint you might be able to find someone to help offset the costs. The only downside is you would have to let them have the vehicle for a while they drag it from show to show. I would love to see this as a feature car at SEMA next year (this fall is probably too soon).

If you can part with it for a while you might ask around, you never know you might get lucky

My vote:
Whatever someone else wants to pay for
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #68
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am very excited about seeing this continue, as I have been following the Gaucho, as a lurker from the start. I just wish I could do something like this, so if you don't mind I will live the experience through you. Cheers!
wrangler1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #69
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

There is a guy, and if you want the link PM me and I can get it for you, who put in a Mercedes-Benz clean diesel into his CJ-8. It was a really nice swap, lots of power, and he really liked it a lot.

Other than that I would either pick up a tj, or a cj and just swap everything right into it and call it good.

What do you think you will do for the color? Racing stripes?

If you are looking for something fancy you could always do a full wrap sticker thing.

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #70
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
...If you are looking for something fancy you could always do a full wrap sticker thing.
no.

no no no.

NO!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #71
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
There is a guy, and if you want the link PM me and I can get it for you, who put in a Mercedes-Benz clean diesel into his CJ-8. It was a really nice swap, lots of power, and he really liked it a lot.

Other than that I would either pick up a tj, or a cj and just swap everything right into it and call it good.

What do you think you will do for the color? Racing stripes?

If you are looking for something fancy you could always do a full wrap sticker thing.
The Mercedes diesel really isn't the direction I want to go with this, not that its bad, its just not want I want for this truck. Thank you though. As far as color, I think I may go with a 1983 Jeep color. I ordered a 1983 sales brochure so I can see color and other option choices.

And sorry, but no body wraps
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #72
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

A modern VW TDI motor would be a better option than a mercedes diesel, however since that's not the direction you want to go I think you should do an AMC V8...

Sure, you could do a SBC, but it would be cooler if you didn't because those swaps are dime-a-dozen.
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #73
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
Ok, then maybe I'll stick with these axles. And no, I won't be beating on this truck. Playing in the mud and trails once in a while, yes. Going full throttle over the rock creek at rausch creek, no.
Oh man That would be so awesome to see this thing at Rausch creek! May not be worth the drive, but the new area has a ton of mild trails.

Do you ever go to the pine barrens? I have a house in Cape May, so im there quite a bit.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #74
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
Oh man That would be so awesome to see this thing at Rausch creek! May not be worth the drive, but the new area has a ton of mild trails.

Do you ever go to the pine barrens? I have a house in Cape May, so im there quite a bit.
I have been to both but not as much as I would like. I like the type of trails at rausch creek more. I don't think I've been to either since 2008
I need to go. And Gaucho will take a trip to them at least once, it is a Jeep.
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #75
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I've got a 360 out of a late 80's or early 90's waggy that I took apart and acid dipped at work. I'm not going to use it, your more than welcome to come pick it up and use for the project. Needs rebuilt, but it's ready for the machine shop. No brackets though. IM me if you want it, I'll drop an address.
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.