Gaucho part II - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gaucho part II

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Reply
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #46
skotsour
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 179
I eagerly watched the auction wishing I had the extra cash to bid. I was hoping it would go to a JFer and we would be able to keep this beauty in the family and get to continue to watch it's progress! Congrats! I'm sure you will do a great job!

__________________
http://www.deadtownrevival.com
skotsour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #47
CJorDie
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 46
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but personally I would go for the Cummins 4bt/NV4500/D300 combo. Worktruck all the way and the lengthened wheelbase will help with fitting that NV4500 in there!

CJorDie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #48
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJorDie View Post
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but personally I would go for the Cummins 4bt/NV4500/D300 combo. Worktruck all the way and the lengthened wheelbase will help with fitting that NV4500 in there!

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I have looked into this motor for my other Jeep. I think it is a cool swap, but I don't think its right for Gaucho.
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #49
XJAbuzer
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,335
Hmmm....thats a thought....the drivetrain he listed with 1 ton axles and suspension and make it your tow rig....how cool would that be.
__________________
Abuzed 2000 Cherokee...black -n- blue build

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #50
JoonHoss
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
Hmmm....thats a thought....the drivetrain he listed with 1 ton axles and suspension and make it your tow rig....how cool would that be.
unique? yes

cool? yes

good tow rig? nope


Hoss
__________________
Quote:
It's hard to say no to yoo-hoo, the name literally beckons...

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #51
SeaWulf
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 994
I would go with a 360, T18? and D300 along with NT wagoneer axles for the drivetrain, but that's just my $.02
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #52
Mark4883
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,365


This would be a cool plan, I say go for it.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #53
TJandMe
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 209
Why not give the Golen 4.6L I6 stroker engine a shot? You can get one that is a direct bolt on for a YJ so you can buy and stretch a YJ frame, pop this 260hp replacement engine in there, and not worry about all the conversion headaches that many of the other engines requested will require. And it stays very true to keeping it as close to "factory" as possible.

Golen Engine Service WRANGLER - GOLEN 4.6L / 260hp Long Block Drop-in Stroker Engine - Quadratec
__________________
If you are not buying local, at least buy American.
TJandMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #54
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJandMe View Post
Why not give the Golen 4.6L I6 stroker engine a shot? You can get one that is a direct bolt on for a YJ so you can buy and stretch a YJ frame, pop this 260hp replacement engine in there, and not worry about all the conversion headaches that many of the other engines requested will require. And it stays very true to keeping it as close to "factory" as possible.

Golen Engine Service WRANGLER - GOLEN 4.6L / 260hp Long Block Drop-in Stroker Engine - Quadratec
In addition to the stretch of the YJ frame you mention, some additional fabrication would be required to mount the Gaucho bed to the wider YJ frame. And a little bit of fab is typically required to get a CJ grille shell to mount properly on the YJ frame.
__________________
.
"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #55
LBrook
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Salem, Va
Posts: 290
good luck
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #56
MisterO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: , Bergen County - NJ
Posts: 1,436
good luck with this one.. got my eye on it..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #57
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJandMe View Post
Why not give the Golen 4.6L I6 stroker engine a shot? You can get one that is a direct bolt on for a YJ so you can buy and stretch a YJ frame, pop this 260hp replacement engine in there, and not worry about all the conversion headaches that many of the other engines requested will require. And it stays very true to keeping it as close to "factory" as possible.

Golen Engine Service WRANGLER - GOLEN 4.6L / 260hp Long Block Drop-in Stroker Engine - Quadratec
I took a look at the Golen 4.6. The motor is $3500 before tax and shipping as a long block, then I would have to buy all the brackets and parts individually or buy a donor motor. So in the end this option is in the $4000 range just for an engine. I could get an entire drivetrain for that price, or even a whole running donor vehicle. I'm not kicking the engine, but its a lot of money. I don't have endless funds, so I need a bit more price effective option.
I was planning to build a truck similar to this, but decided to buy the Gaucho because everything I don't do (welding/ fabrication/ bodywork) is pretty much done. I have thought about stretching a YJ frame, but I would need to have someone do it, which would be another expense in the build. So, for now, I'm keeping the frame Jeff built. I actually do have a YJ frame already from the collection of parts to build a pickup. If anyone is interested in the YJ frame, its for sale.
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #58
kickingprop
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
So options abound, here's what I consider the reasonably priced options to consider:

1) 258/T18 (or T176, or NV3550 if u want OD) and a Dana20/300.
Pros: Bolts right in, pretty easy to come by most parts
Cons: mostly older technology on the engine
Upgrade of choice: Fuel Injection, Ignition upgrades

2) 4.0L/NV3550 (or AW4)/Dana300
Pros: Large availability of parts, reliable, mostly a bolt in
Cons: Cant really think of any
Upgrade of choice: I dont know much about the 4.0L's so I'll leave this to someone else

3) 360(or 401)/T18/Dana20(300)
Pros: Great power, pretty easily sourced parts
Cons: Gas guzzling
Upgrade of choice: Fuel Injection, Ignition

4) SBC/SM465(or 700R4/TH350)/Dana300 (or NP20x)
Pros: Tons of Power, Tons of aftermarket, endless options
Cons: Guzzling fuel, potential MAW's problem...
Upgrade of choice: Ignition

5) 5.3L/4L60E/Dana300 (My personal choice but I might be biased)
Pros: Great Power, good fuel economy (I get 20+mpg highway), reliability, lots of aftermarket already, pretty easily sourced (I got my 2001 5.3/4L60E combo for 1050$ with computer) Surprisingly easy to set up with a little help from the people who have done it already.
Cons: slightly higher initial cost for adapters and auxiliaries
Upgrade of choice: None I can think of...maybe a turbo kit??

6) Other combos... (4bt, stroked I6, SBF's, etc)

As for axles. unless you plan to wheel the crap out of this thing or run huge tires. I'd rebuild the CJ axles with some one piece shafts and call it a day. At the most run Wagoneer D44's but I wouldnt go any wider than that. For a street queen/light work truck, those axles will be great behind any of those engine combos.

This is just my on the possible ways to do this. I'd personally like to see it stay as close to CJ as possible with the 258 setup but if you go SBC the Gen IV's cant be beat!
__________________
1985 CJ7 Project
Phase One : 5.3L Vortec/4L60E, Moser axles for AMC20, Twin Stick'd Dana300 - Completed
Phase Two: Bedliner, Rollcage, Seats, BESRK Rear Bumper w/ tire swing, Soft Top, and a few other goodies - Mostly Complete
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #59
monte jeep
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , New Jersey
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
So options abound, here's what I consider the reasonably priced options to consider:

1) 258/T18 (or T176, or NV3550 if u want OD) and a Dana20/300.
Pros: Bolts right in, pretty easy to come by most parts
Cons: mostly older technology on the engine
Upgrade of choice: Fuel Injection, Ignition upgrades

2) 4.0L/NV3550 (or AW4)/Dana300
Pros: Large availability of parts, reliable, mostly a bolt in
Cons: Cant really think of any
Upgrade of choice: I dont know much about the 4.0L's so I'll leave this to someone else

3) 360(or 401)/T18/Dana20(300)
Pros: Great power, pretty easily sourced parts
Cons: Gas guzzling
Upgrade of choice: Fuel Injection, Ignition

4) SBC/SM465(or 700R4/TH350)/Dana300 (or NP20x)
Pros: Tons of Power, Tons of aftermarket, endless options
Cons: Guzzling fuel, potential MAW's problem...
Upgrade of choice: Ignition

5) 5.3L/4L60E/Dana300 (My personal choice but I might be biased)
Pros: Great Power, good fuel economy (I get 20+mpg highway), reliability, lots of aftermarket already, pretty easily sourced (I got my 2001 5.3/4L60E combo for 1050$ with computer) Surprisingly easy to set up with a little help from the people who have done it already.
Cons: slightly higher initial cost for adapters and auxiliaries
Upgrade of choice: None I can think of...maybe a turbo kit??

6) Other combos... (4bt, stroked I6, SBF's, etc)

As for axles. unless you plan to wheel the crap out of this thing or run huge tires. I'd rebuild the CJ axles with some one piece shafts and call it a day. At the most run Wagoneer D44's but I wouldnt go any wider than that. For a street queen/light work truck, those axles will be great behind any of those engine combos.

This is just my on the possible ways to do this. I'd personally like to see it stay as close to CJ as possible with the 258 setup but if you go SBC the Gen IV's cant be beat!
decisions decisions decisions. options 1 through 5 are all possible. I just don't know. If I stick with the stock axles with one piece shafts and gear change, are they strong enough for moderate wheeling and a v8. I don't think tires larger than 33's (maybe 35's) will fit in the rear wheel wells without cutting the fenders that Jeff made. I am not cutting them (don't worry Jeff), and besides, I think 33's are enough for the Gaucho.
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #60
kickingprop
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
I would think stock axles could easily handle 33's. Mine have held up OK behind my 5.3L on 33's now for over a year with no problems. Its all in how you drive it. I'm hoping you dont plan on beating this thing like it stole something from you!
__________________
1985 CJ7 Project
Phase One : 5.3L Vortec/4L60E, Moser axles for AMC20, Twin Stick'd Dana300 - Completed
Phase Two: Bedliner, Rollcage, Seats, BESRK Rear Bumper w/ tire swing, Soft Top, and a few other goodies - Mostly Complete
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.