Gaucho part II - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gaucho part II

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
monte jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gaucho part II

Many of you know Gaucho very well. For those who don't, it is a CJ based pick-up created by Jeff Scherb over a ten month build in 2009 that he documented here, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...-build-709132/ . He based this on an original vehicle created by Brian Chuchua at his dealership in Southern California in 1976. After Jeff built the body and frame, he felt he accomplished his mission and decided to sell it. That is where I step in, as I was lucky enough to buy this beautiful piece of art. It is now my duty to complete this.

Like Jeff, I would like to build the truck to look like it actually was built by Jeep. I have a few ideas, but I'm not committed to anything. One thing I know for sure, is that it won't be yellow like the original. Sorry, I know I'll get hate mail, but I just don't like it. Unlike Jeff, I'm a wheeler. Gaucho will see some trails in its life. It will NOT be a hard core trail machine, I have a YJ and am building a YJ based CJ6 for that.

I do want to hear from you with ideas. I sat at the computer and read every post from the original build for many many hours. I took notes of what parts and ideas Jeff used and ideas that many of you mentioned. I am listening.

Just so all of you that followed Jeff and his build know, I am not good with a computer or work as fast as he. So all those design drawings you are used to, well I just don't even know where to start with that. The daily updates, nope not here. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy retired life yet, I need to go to work.

Jeff, thank you for this opportunity, I'll try not to disappoint. Joe

goodbye.jpg  

Last edited by monte jeep; 07-30-2010 at 07:11 AM..
monte jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Noonen
1983 CJ7 

Congrats!
Noonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I don't think the color is going to be much of an issue either way, unless it was pink or fuscia or something weird like that.

As for drivetrain, if you stay all AMC, then you won't get flamed... if you just trhow a 350 in it, well, you are on your own.

As for the other contention, it was CJ drivetrain vs. YJ, I saw a lot of comments with that.

As for the rest, I am not sure what you are thinking, but I would stay away from 20+" rims or you might get some hate mail as well.

Swapping in anything pre-1980 would probably get you good points... 401, waggy axles, etc. etc.

Just my observations on a long and very well done build... heck, the rear bumper is from one of my Jeeps

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am very excited to see this Jeep stay on the forums. Congrats on your purchase.

Well, if I were you, I would be torn in between putting a period-true V-8 in it and a modern 4.0 with AW4 combo.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte jeep View Post
...Just so all of you that followed Jeff and his build know, I am not good with a computer or work as fast as he. So all those design drawings you are used to, well I just don't even know where to start with that. The daily updates, nope not here. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy retired life yet, I need to go to work.
Hey Joe,

If you need any design drawings, just let me know and I'll try to do them for you.

Best of luck with the build, I'm sure you won't disappoint us!

Jeff

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Aahhhhhh, all is right with the world again! Thanks for continuing on with the build for the rest of us to see.

I'm a little mixed in my opinions on what direction your project should take. I like the idea of the 4.0L power plant and agree that waggy axles (D44/D44 or M20/D44) would be a nice compliment to that. If it weren't such a unique build I'd suggest Yota axles but I don't want to get banned!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

I'm hoping your comment about making like Jeep would have made it means keeping the drivetrain AMC/Jeep (obviously it's your rig though.) So I vote 360/401 or 4.0 with whatever tranny you prefer and matching strength axles (Waggy D44 and HD20 would be a good combo with a D300 IMHO).

What size tires are you planning on running or is that up for input?
'77 Cherokee with old and new stuff
bigwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

So glad I can continue watching this one!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I personally like the idea of the 350, but as mentioned, you will receive some hate mail. I too am excited the continuation of this build will stay here on JF. Im sure you will do Jeff proud. I hope you can do all the pretty drawings Jeff can do too.

Anyway, best of luck with finishing this beauty.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

don't mind me (just pulling up a virtual stool)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
superjoe

()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

sweet! it's back

crawled

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Monte,

time and perhaps money are your only constraints as you have plenty of extremely qualified people here in the Forum that would jump at the chance to help you out when you need it...thanks for keeping us updated and ask any question you have...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
justjeeps

I too would love to see it remain as close to the original Gaucho as possible. I believe it was also shown in White in one of the pictures.
justjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.