JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Gaucho part II (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gaucho-part-ii-1079467/)

monte jeep 07-30-2010 06:59 AM

Gaucho part II

1 Attachment(s)
Many of you know Gaucho very well. For those who don't, it is a CJ based pick-up created by Jeff Scherb over a ten month build in 2009 that he documented here, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...-build-709132/ . He based this on an original vehicle created by Brian Chuchua at his dealership in Southern California in 1976. After Jeff built the body and frame, he felt he accomplished his mission and decided to sell it. That is where I step in, as I was lucky enough to buy this beautiful piece of art. It is now my duty to complete this.

Like Jeff, I would like to build the truck to look like it actually was built by Jeep. I have a few ideas, but I'm not committed to anything. One thing I know for sure, is that it won't be yellow like the original. Sorry, I know I'll get hate mail, but I just don't like it. Unlike Jeff, I'm a wheeler. Gaucho will see some trails in its life. It will NOT be a hard core trail machine, I have a YJ and am building a YJ based CJ6 for that.

I do want to hear from you with ideas. I sat at the computer and read every post from the original build for many many hours. I took notes of what parts and ideas Jeff used and ideas that many of you mentioned. I am listening.

Just so all of you that followed Jeff and his build know, I am not good with a computer or work as fast as he. So all those design drawings you are used to, well I just don't even know where to start with that. The daily updates, nope not here. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy retired life yet, I need to go to work.:(

Jeff, thank you for this opportunity, I'll try not to disappoint. Joe

Noonen 07-30-2010 07:04 AM

Congrats!

certifiablejeep 07-30-2010 07:09 AM

I don't think the color is going to be much of an issue either way, unless it was pink or fuscia or something weird like that.

As for drivetrain, if you stay all AMC, then you won't get flamed... if you just trhow a 350 in it, well, you are on your own.

As for the other contention, it was CJ drivetrain vs. YJ, I saw a lot of comments with that.

As for the rest, I am not sure what you are thinking, but I would stay away from 20+" rims or you might get some hate mail as well.

Swapping in anything pre-1980 would probably get you good points... 401, waggy axles, etc. etc.

Just my observations on a long and very well done build... heck, the rear bumper is from one of my Jeeps ;)

cb

XJAbuzer 07-30-2010 07:13 AM

I am very excited to see this Jeep stay on the forums. Congrats on your purchase.

Well, if I were you, I would be torn in between putting a period-true V-8 in it and a modern 4.0 with AW4 combo.

jscherb 07-30-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monte jeep (Post 9876494)
...Just so all of you that followed Jeff and his build know, I am not good with a computer or work as fast as he. So all those design drawings you are used to, well I just don't even know where to start with that. The daily updates, nope not here. I don't have the opportunity to enjoy retired life yet, I need to go to work.:(

Hey Joe,

If you need any design drawings, just let me know and I'll try to do them for you.

Best of luck with the build, I'm sure you won't disappoint us!

Jeff

jeepwhore 07-30-2010 07:50 AM

Aahhhhhh, all is right with the world again! :D Thanks for continuing on with the build for the rest of us to see. :thumbsup:

I'm a little mixed in my opinions on what direction your project should take. I like the idea of the 4.0L power plant and agree that waggy axles (D44/D44 or M20/D44) would be a nice compliment to that. If it weren't such a unique build I'd suggest Yota axles but I don't want to get banned! :laugh:

bigwalton 07-30-2010 07:54 AM

:PopCorn::PopCorn::PopCorn::PopCorn:

I'm hoping your comment about making like Jeep would have made it means keeping the drivetrain AMC/Jeep (obviously it's your rig though.) So I vote 360/401 or 4.0 with whatever tranny you prefer and matching strength axles (Waggy D44 and HD20 would be a good combo with a D300 IMHO).

What size tires are you planning on running or is that up for input?

kickingprop 07-30-2010 08:49 AM

:PopCorn::PopCorn:

So glad I can continue watching this one!

jatepper 07-30-2010 09:23 AM

I personally like the idea of the 350, but as mentioned, you will receive some hate mail. I too am excited the continuation of this build will stay here on JF. Im sure you will do Jeff proud. I hope you can do all the pretty drawings Jeff can do too. :D

Anyway, best of luck with finishing this beauty.

JoonHoss 07-30-2010 09:35 AM

don't mind me (just pulling up a virtual stool)

:cheers2:

Hoss

mtbtweety 07-30-2010 09:55 AM

:thumbsup:

superjoe 07-30-2010 09:58 AM

:PopCorn:

theducksguts 07-30-2010 10:00 AM

sweet! it's back

crawled

mvigo 07-30-2010 10:50 AM

Monte,

time and perhaps money are your only constraints as you have plenty of extremely qualified people here in the Forum that would jump at the chance to help you out when you need it...thanks for keeping us updated and ask any question you have...

justjeeps 07-30-2010 10:51 AM

I too would love to see it remain as close to the original Gaucho as possible. I believe it was also shown in White in one of the pictures.

The time now is 12:16 PM.