Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

"Gaucho" CJ stepside pickup build

963K views 1K replies 214 participants last post by  JoonHoss 
#1 ·
Back in the 70's, a Jeep dealership in Southern California made a limited number of custom Jeep stepside pickups. These were based on a CJ-7, rebuilt on a longer CJ-6 frame, and using a fiberglass stepside bed and fenders made by a company called California Stepside. The half-cab hardtop was modified from a CJ-7 hardtop.

Having recently finished my Retro Wrangler pickup build (photos at the bottom of this post), I've been looking for another project to do, and I've decided to build an updated reproduction of the original Gaucho.

I've collected most of the parts I need for the project (tub, bed, hardtop, a fender and more), and I'm just beginning the fabrication now. If there's interest in following this build I'll document it here.

I should also say that I'm building this one for sale - I've already got two Jeeps and don't really have a need for a third (I know, hard to believe :) ). My initial plan is to fabricate the tub, bed, fenders, tailgate and (possibly) half-cab hardtop, and then sell this "kit" of parts to someone who wants to drop the parts on their Scrambler frame. It will be a great replacement for someone who's got a rustbucket Scrambler they want to rebuild. What I'm building will be a direct replacement for a Scrambler tub (and a Scrambler half-cab will be the right size for the tub I build), or a CJ-7 or Scrambler frame could be lengthened for a longer wheelbase if that's what the eventual owner would like to do.

Here are some photos from the 70's showing the original Gaucho pickups:

Below is the project I just finished. It is based on a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited; the frame was lengthened 22.5 inches; the bed is the same size as the classic Willys pickups; the fenders are custom; the tailgate is custom and incorporates a CJ7/CJ8 tailgate logo; and the hardtop is custom, made from bits and pieces of Jeep military and export parts. It's also got a soft top with Sunrider, modified from the original LJ soft top.

See less See more
#2 ·
Crap, now I've got to keep checking ANOTHER one of your unbelievable projects over here on JF!

#6 ·
If by "strange" you mean "positive", yes, I do. I can't hardly park it anywhere without someone coming up to me and complimenting it. The remarks are so positive it's hard to believe Jeep never made one, seems people really like it.

#7 · (Edited)
yeah, I'm goin' to hafta pull up a virtual stool for this one, no doubt about it! :thumbsup:

in your OP- did you mean they built them on a scrambler frame, or CJ6 (as posted)?

and California stepsides- very familiar with them... they also provided beds/fenders for a lot of Chevy Luv pickups. My buddy in high school had a '78 with one of their stepsides, and we searched forever trying to find a replacement fender after he wrecked it.

Hoss

#24 ·
The original Gaucho was built on a CJ-6 frame. There was an article in the May 1999 issue of JP magazine that said it was a 104 WB CJ-6 frame, but two articles published in the 70's (July 77 Four Wheeler and January 77 Off-Road) claim it was a 101-inch frame. The JP article was a re-edit of an April 77 article in Pickup, Van & 4WD (same author, same photos), and that original article doesn't mention the WB, so I suspect a JP editor in the 90's added the 104-inch WB comment.

I believe the original Gaucho used the 101-inch frames, because the cab is so short. I'm easily going to be able to fit a 3-inch longer cab on mine. I can't say for 100% sure they used the 101, though, because the longer sheet metal of the CJ-7 nose does seem to line up properly with the front axle, which it probably wouldn't do it the stock body mounts on the 101 frame were used. Maybe they moved the body mounts on the 101.

So the original Gaucho(s) WB and frame is a slight mystery, but I tend to believe they were older 101-inch frames as stated in two 70's articles.

Oh and why did I spell Gaucho with the "(s)" on the end? While the JP article says "records are no longer available" about how many were made, kind of hinting there was more than one, but every photo in every article I've ever seen is of the same Gaucho, so I can't find any evidence that more than one was made. Does anyone have proof there was more than one made?

BTW, the original 70's articles quote prices of $1800-$2000 to convert your CJ-7 to a Gaucho.

And as for California Stepside, I haven't been able to find much information about them. I know they made beds/fenders for lots of small pickups - Luv's, Toyotas, Datsuns (I think they were still called Datsuns then), and I guess they went out of business some time ago. Parts are non-existent unless you can find a used one somewhere.

I've got a really good solution for real steel custom Gaucho fenders, you'll be reading about it and seeing them here soon.

#10 ·
I may not want to, but that's the plan. Definitely don't need 3 Jeeps. Which one would you sell? The one-of-a-kind Retro Wrangler pickup? The very rare CJ-8 Overlander? Or the Gaucho parts? The Gaucho is being built to sell so that's what's gonna happen, unless I can't find anyone who wants to buy it...

Someday I might be talked into selling the Overlander, if the right offer came along, but right now no plans to sell either the Retro Wrangler or the Overlander.

#14 ·
Thanks!!

I wanted the Retro Wrangler to look like it could have rolled off the assembly line in Toledo, so I used or modified OEM parts wherever I could. A great example is the step bumper - a pickup should have a step bumper, but rather than get some aftermarket bumper or bumper from some other truck, I made a step bumper from the LJ bumper. I think it looks very factory.

Another example is the CJ-7/8 tailgate "Jeep" embossing in the custom tailgate, and the Wrangler tailgate paddle handle in the tailgate also.

I'll be doing the same kind of things for the Gaucho project.

#15 ·
Here are few design drawings I've done for the Gaucho project. The top one is a 103.5" wheelbase (Scrambler frame), and the bottom one is a 111 wheelbase (lengthened Scrambler, CJ-7 or Wrangler YJ frame). - I'm building the bed/fenders so they can be used on any wheelbase from 103.5 up to 111 or perhaps a little longer, all that will change with a longer WB is the location of the fenders on the bed sides and some small changes to the bed mounts.

The components I'm building will be a direct drop on for a 103.5" Scrambler frame, so they could be used to replace a rusty Scrambler tub.

I'm making a few small changes from the original Gaucho:

- The cab wll be about 3" longer on mine than on the original. The original had a very short, cramped cab because it was on a 101" wheelbase CJ6 frame.

- All of my components will be steel, except for the hardtop. On the original, the bed and fenders were fiberglass.

- The original was built on narrow track axles, I'm building for WT axles. As a result, my bed will be 44" inside dimension vs. the 41" on the original.

- I'll probably build a well in the front of the bed to hold a spare; the original didn't really have a provision for a spare except to lay it flat in the bed.

There are a number of other small detail differences, but basically I'm trying to be faithful to the original Gaucho while making a few small improvements.

Suggestions and comments welcome...

#18 ·
Yes, I plan to modify the main hoop to fit inside the top. Normally it angles back too far to fit in the top so I'll change the angle to be more vertical. I'll also tie it into the tub at near the door strikers to give the tub more rigidity when the doors are slammed, and that tie-in will also give the roll bar more front/back rigidity. I haven't decided yet if I'll add the spreader bars.

#22 ·
Austrailian military.
The CJ-10 pickup you pictured has a 119-inch wheelbase, a 7-foot pickup box, and a one-ton capacity. It was built on a FSJ frame, so you could argue an FSJ, not a CJ, even though it has a CJ-style tub. It's a much larger vehicle than the Scrambler-sized Gaucho I'm building.

#25 ·
I know that this sounds a bit weird, but that bed looks like an old military trailer with late 70's Chevy step side fenders bolted on to it... My buddy had a K10 Stepside (I think it was a K10) and I swear those fenders are identical... maybe picking up a set of those would save you a ton of time fabbing some.

cb

#26 ·
That's a very good idea, except that the Chevy fenders are huge. They're 60" long, 25" high and 15" deep, with a 36" wheel opening. The Gaucho bed is only 64" long and about 23" high on the outside.

To be the right size for the much-smaller Gaucho, the fenders need to be about 46" long, 20" high and 11" deep.

But you're on the right track... stay tuned...

#28 ·
Ok, here's some pictures.

After I did the design drawings, I wanted to really see what the Gaucho would look like in 3D before I committed to doing the build. It's much cheaper to make decisions and mistakes in plastic than it is in full scale metal. So I built a Gaucho in 1/25 scale. These models are not completed yet, lots of details and features missing; in fact they're held together with tape, so they don't look perfect, but they do give a good idea of what the finished project will look like in three dimensions.

The model without the jerry can is 111" wheelbase, and the model with the jerry can is 103.5" wheelbase, same as the Scrambler.

The bottom photo shows the Gaucho in comparison to the Retro Wrangler and a 40's pickup.

Don't worry, pictures of actual full scale fabrication coming very soon. Design and planning plays a really big part in my projects, so rather than just jump into the fab, I want to share some of the design stuff with you so you know what I'll be building :)

As always, comments and suggestions welcome...

Jeff

#29 ·
is the cab enclosure on the red one water and air tight? did you make it yourself or buy it. I would like to get mine water tight.

#30 ·
You're asking about the hardtop on the Retro Wrangler? Yes, it is completely air and water tight. I made it myself.

I started with some Jeep factory sheet metal and highly modified the parts - the rear/side walls/rear window came from a CJ-10a Flightline Tug, I lengthened the side walls about 6" to fit my longer cab. I also raised the height of the walls about 1/2", and I changed the profile of the lower part of the door jambs so they would seal properly with TJ doors. The top panel was modified from a CJ-7 export World Cab (like an Alaskan Postal, only shorter to fit a CJ-7, I'm pretty sure mine was the only one in the U.S.); anyway, I shortened the CJ-7 World Cab roof panel and added some additional sheet metal bits and pieces to complete the roof and mate it to the CJ-10 walls and to the TJ windshield. I also made door jamb corner fillers because the World Cabs are made for doors with square upper corners. Here's a photo of the top when it was almost complete and a few photos of it just after it was painted and waiting for final assembly. Full disclosure: I did all the fab and body work except the paint, I don't do paint. (yet).

#31 ·
I'm a big fan of your work. I love the overlander. I like that you used a Wrangler handle for the fold down tailgate. I've thought of trying to do that to my CJ one of these days. Can you send me some pictures of how you have that set up with the latches and linkage?

#34 ·
Thanks! :)

The photos below will give you an idea of how I used a TJ tailgate paddle handle to activate the Retro Wrangler tailgate latches. I haven't decided if I'm going to do this for the Gaucho tailgate yet.

I based my bed and tailgate on reproduction sheet metal for a 46 Chevy; back then pickups used chains to secure the tailgates. So in addition to doing the paddle handle, I had to figure out a complete latch mechanism as well.

The short version of the story is that the TJ latch uses bicycle brake cables to actuate Mazda tailgate latches.

I fabricated a bracket to hold the TJ paddle inside the tailgate; this bracket included a bellcrank and mounting points for the ends of the bike cables.

I modified the Mazda tailgate latches to accept bike cables to pull the latches open.

I fabricated new end sills for the repro tailgate that were recessed 1" to allow room for the latches.

I used tailgate link straps from a Toyota to support the tailgate when open; the stock 46 Chevy chains would have performed this function but I didn't like them.

I made provisions for an access hatch on the inside of the tailgate, for this I used a tailgate hatch from a Nissan.

And of course there was all the sheet metal work to put the CJ tailgate logo into the 46 Chevy tailgate core...

#33 · (Edited)
I did use a Chevy stepside pickup model for the bed, but I cut the bed down to the right size for the Gaucho - 44" inside width, 5' 4" inside length, lower side height. Then I cut the Chevy stepside fenders down to Gaucho size also, as I wrote above, the stock Chevy stepside fenders are way too huge for the Gaucho.

Doing this amount of design and planning before starting to cut actual sheet metal is critical to the success of the project in my opinion. When I was designing the Retro Wrangler I went through dozens of design options, wheelbases and configurations on paper before I built the model, then came the model, and when I was completely happy with that I was ready to begin the full scale work.

And I've got to tell you, when you do a design and model you really like, then you make a project plan and follow that plan to completion and end up with exactly what you wanted in the end, it's really satisfying...

#35 ·
When you said that the chevy fenders were 5' long, I was like no way... funny how your memory remembers things smaller sometimes.

I looked up a few pics and I guess you are right... with 33"s shoved under them, there is about a foot in front and behind making it about that size.

I dig the models, I used to make them all the time when I was younger. I worked for a guy that made his own molds for metal parts and plastic as well... I was always fascinated with what he came up with.

I love the idea of planning it all in a model, I just seem to build them the way I have them in my head and mock it all up first and see what I like and don't like... I guess I am a glutton for punishment... and disappointment.

cb

#36 ·
Your imagination, engineering, passion, and fabrication skills are mindblowing! Do you have a full fabrication shop, or do you sub out some of the components? As a self employed metal fabricator, I truly appreciate what's involved in such a project. My hat's off to you.

I will be following your newest adventure. Take lots of pics!

Rich

#37 ·
Your imagination, engineering, passion, and fabrication skills are mindblowing! Do you have a full fabrication shop, or do you sub out some of the components? As a self employed metal fabricator, I truly appreciate what's involved in such a project. My hat's off to you.

I will be following your newest adventure. Take lots of pics!

Rich
:) Thanks!

I do all my own work in my home garage and workshop. The Retro Wrangler was my first fabrication project ever, I bought my welder and taught myself welding just for that project. There are only two things I subbed out on the Retro Wrangler project - the painting, and lengthening the driveshaft. Everything else I did myself at home by myself (just working alone on big stuff like this can be a challenge - try installing a pickup bed single handedly :) ). The only sort of "big bucks" tools I have are my Hobart 180 220v welder, and a WW-II era Delta metal-cutting bandsaw, and the bandsaw was really cheap because it's so old. Other than that, a small assortment of Harbor Freight air tools and the usual things you'd expect to find in a home woodworking shop.

So I don't have anything really special, anyone should be able to do the kinds of work I'm doing. Really.

Lots of pics to come, I promise.

I just dream about what I could do if I actually had a full fabrication shop at my disposal...

Jeff

#39 ·
I see you said you drafted the prototype, are you a draftsman by trade, or just for fun? I run CAD CAM and engineering where I work and have thought several times of "digitizing" a complete CJ7. :teehee: You could then print it out on a 3d printer to get your models. :thumbsup:Anyway, impressive stuff. Keep it up!

#40 ·
Nope, I'm not a draftsman by trade, although I do a bit of illustration for magazines as a hobby, I've had drawings published in about a half dozen magazines in the US and the UK over the past few years.

#41 ·
Here are the main parts I've collected for the Gaucho build.

- A mostly rust-free YJ Wrangler tub. First up: two small and easily fixable rust spots to repair. Then I'll cut it short into a pickup tub, and make modifications to use it with a CJ frame and parts (defroster vent, body mount locations).

- An "early style" CJ hardtop. The first CJ hardtops like this one were molded in one piece, the later ones were molded in something like 8 pieces. The early ones are a bit easier to modify. The original Gaucho half-hardtop was modified from one of these, so I can do the same. I'm making the tub the right size to work with a Gr8Tops hardtop or a Scrambler hardtop, so those are options too.

- I'll make the fenders out of 73-87 Chevy stepside fenders. (certifiableJeep - good call, you were on the right track :) ). These fenders will need to be heavily sectioned and modified to reduce them in size for the Gaucho. This will probably be the most challenging metal work in the whole project, I've got to take about 14" out of the length, 5" from the height, and 4" from the depth, so it's a significant sectioning job. I've studied these fenders and the body lines will work out - it is definitely possible to "shrink" these to the proper size. So far I only have a passenger side fender, I still need to find a driver's side fender - anybody got one?

- I've got a 72 Chevy stepside long bed which someone made into a trailer. This will provide many of the bed parts, which will be radically cut down to be Gaucho-sized. A bunch of the key bed frame parts are missing, so I'll add some new repro parts to the mix. (BTW, the trailer frame plus the back half of the YJ tub, plus the back half of the LJ tub cut off from the Retro Wrangler project will make a really nice Jeep trailer, don't you think? :) )

- I've got both a DJ5 Postal rear door and a CJ tailgate, one of which will provide the logo for the Gaucho tailgate. The original Gaucho used the DJ5 style Jeep logo on its tailgate, so I'm leaning towards using that one, although I really like how the CJ logo worked out on the Retro Wrangler. I'll decide which one to use when I get to that point in the project.

The first real "build photos" you'll see are the rust repair in the tub, coming up in the next few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.