Gasket leak between intake and exhaust under carb. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gasket leak between intake and exhaust under carb.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Oakbluffjeeper
1977 CJ5 

Gasket leak between intake and exhaust under carb.

I had a gasket leak between intake and exhaust manifold where they are joined (under carb). The exhaust surface was flaking and not very flat. I tried to grind it flatter and put the gasket in and in two weeks it started leaking again.
Question, should I try again with 2 gaskets or a guy told me to use hi temp
gasket sealer without gasket or chuck manifold and go to header?

Oakbluffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

I would try hi-temp permatex on both sides of the gasket. be sure to let it cure thoroughly before you fire it up. It won't make up for a huge gap, but the stuff works well.
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Oakbluffjeeper
1977 CJ5 

thanks for the permatex tip, tried that and lasted about 20 miles. I found a 2 barrel intake and exhaust manifold on craigslist now i need 2 barrel carb
Oakbluffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.