gas welder good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gas welder good deal?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
shok47
1983 CJ7 

gas welder good deal?

Saw this on craigslist and it seems like a real good deal. Is it?

Full Size Oxy/Acetylene Welding Outfit

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

Does'nt look complete, says nothing about cutting head or welding torch and not shown in pic. You don't want single gauge like that because it does'nt give tank pressure, never know how much is in tank.
carguy68ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

good price, look at all your getting, the cart alone is over $100.00. im sure he has all the heads. i assume youll be picking them up, shipping would kill you.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

It doesn't include torches by the look and description. That seems like a lot for an old beat up cart and a couple of unknown condition hoses and regulators.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Don't think I would buy it.

Tanks:
"Tanks can be exchanged at any AirGas/MerriamGraves or local welding supply " That quote tells me the seller probably does not own the tanks.
More often than not, the tanks are not the property of the one possessing them, that to say most of the time the tanks are rented from a welding company and belong to them. I went to a lot of trouble to buy my own tanks (I have the mid size and fill about once a year by my usage). Every time I fill, I have the hassle of having to show my ownership (sales receipts from 15-20 years ago).
Hydrostatic test:
Every 5 years, (or 10 depending on the test that was done), the Oxygen tank has to be tested. that is now costing around $30. The gas supply companies are now requiring an inspection (no test) of acetylene tanks every 5 years and the last I paid was about $25.
The month and year of the "hydro" test are stamped into the steel at the neck of the tank and good for 5 years, or month, year and a star for 10 years, if it is even a tank the sell can sell.

Regulators:
From the photo,Looks that they are the best part but I would want a "eye on" inspection before buying.

Hose:
From the photo, does not look that great, but again, I would want an in person examination.

Torch heads:
Are the with the unit, where are they?

Cart:
Looks ok

Sorry, but it does not look like a good deal to me. I would not do it for half that amount.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I own 3 argon tanks 2 oxygen tanks and 2 acetylene tanks.. I've never had a problem exchanging them.

My Argon tanks are stamped with "National Airgas" around the neck and they never give me a problem. My OX/AC tanks are Arcet and same thing.. no problems.

If you're worried about the tanks, ask the seller to meet you at the local Airgas, show them the tanks and ask if there is gonna be a problem getting them exchanged..

Pricewise.. not a bad price if there is a cutting head and some other tips with it. Those are good sized tanks.

You shouldn't have to prove to the vendor that you bought the tanks, they should have to prove to you that you didn't.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

No! You may have problems with exchaging the tanks. Check with someone local on this but be sure, many welding shops will not swap tanks that large. Make sure what is included, check a local welding shop for prices.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

If you decide to buy then check it out. Turn everything on then close torch valve and watch the acetylene gauge. If it starts to creep up much more than a few psi then that reg is suspect.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Maybe it's different down there but around here we just swap tank's as long as we get the same size and the inspection tags are relatively new.

How ever I see no inspection tag on those tanks. You may have a problem.

Also, get flashback arrestors on the regulator and handle.

Quote:
Burn back: If your oxygen cylinder is low or empty, reverse flow of gas may occur. The fuel gas, being at a higher pressure, can travel up the oxygen line and mix with gas in the hose, regulator and cylinder. If you light your torch without purging the lines, a burn back may occur with explosions in the hose, regulator, or cylinder.

Backfire: The same thing can happen with high oxygen pressure and low fuel gas pressure if a backfire occurs, which is usually caused by holding the cutting torch too close to your work. This causes gas starvation of the cutting flame and results in the flame being sucked into the torch head. Usually you will hear a popping sound that turns to a whistle when this happens.

Flashback: When a backfire takes place in a mixing chamber, unless you shut off the oxygen valve, the flame burning in the torch head may ignite gases in the hoses and result in a flashback. A flashback is an explosion that progresses through the torch, hoses, regulators, and into the cylinders. Consequence can range from a burst hose to a violent explosion of the regulator and cylinders.
What are you going to use it for?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.