gas tank and carb question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gas tank and carb question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

gas tank and carb question

I have a webber carb on my cj. Im not getting 12 volts on my wire going to the choke. If its below 70 degrees, it takes a few cranks to get it to fire. Could i run a hot wire off my battery right to the carb??? Or could i run a hot off a wire to a toggle then to the carb?? Would i need to run a ground? The current hot wire appears to run into the firewall somewhere. (havnt looked behind the dash yet to trace.

Also when i dropped my gas tank to replace. I noticed my 2 little vent tubes (driverside) hose blocked off with a hose going to each. Shouldnt these be ran somewhere and left open to breathe?? I notice i have pressure when i open my fuel cap.

armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

You can always convert that Weber to a manual choke, I did and I like the control I have that way much better than the auto choke.

[]=O=[]
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

Ive been thinking about going with a manual choke, what does it take to make the switch?
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Cheap and easy. Lots of stores sell the universal kit for around $10 and it comes with complete instructions. Most kits come with a few sizes of replacement covers but I might suggest that you measure your existing choke cover so you are sure you get the kit that has the correct replacement. Google 'Choke Conversion Kit' to get an idea.

[]=O=[]
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Did you check your fuses? The backup light and seatbelt buzzer fuse I think runs the choke.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

my back up lights work. Not sure about seat belt buzzer. Never herd a sound since i have owned it. Only fuse i found blown a was marked (dome-ctsy) its a 20A fuse. Need to buy some more. All fuses appear to be ok except for that one.
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.