gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gas tank

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

gas tank

Hi guys new to the forum (first post) I have been working on my 83 cj7 for about 3 years. 2 working and one sick starring at it. I am feeling better now and its time to finish what I started. I need to put my gas tank (20 gallon? Factory polly) back up and put the 2 new hoses on. The 2 hoses from the filler area are small is there a easy way to get the new hoses on and tank back up? Hope this kind of makes since.

nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

While you have the tank out, it would be a good time to add this..

This is directly over the sending unit. I can pull the sending unit, hook up the hoses and electrical connections with out dropping the tank.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

just dropped mineagain

th new omix sending unit that i installed has a leaking float so it just lays on the bottom. i wont say where i bought it cause i like them but there response was i bought it two years ago so no warranty. the factory 28 year old float didnt leak!. im understanding that alot of the aftermarket parts are junk!. make sure your feed,return,vent lines are all long enough to reach the tank while it sits on the ground. put a floor jack under it and put it up while balanceing it than connect the fill/vent hoses. it is not that hard. but by the way, the only thing that i have found to be simple on these jeep's is spending cash!
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

Thanks For the response, I never got to it this weekend. I put my dash back together, finished my painless taillight wiring, installed a driver side mirror, installed a new transfer case shifter boot and broke the knob (rust) now need to replace the lever and knob.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

Boil some water, put the ends of the hose in the water for a minute and quickly slide them on. They will stretch a little but not much because of the reinforcing in the hose.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^-- thanks for the tip, I bet that will do the trick.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
PERK
1983 CJ7 

spray the inside of the hose with wd40...
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I always put anti seize on a nipple before putting the hose on. That way the hose will never stick on there. I use it for radiator hoses, heater lines, etc. Once I take the clamp loose, the hose will slide right off with out sticking.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.