Gas tank - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gas tank

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500 F. It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
rsg1963

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Jeep View Post
Hey Man.. I had a 1974 J10 and the exact same thing happened to it. One day it was like.. oh crap the fuel tank is leaking everywhere!! It turned out that the rubber fuel lines had cracked from age dumping fuel all over the tank. It gives the impression that it's leaking everywhere, but really it's just spraying out of those cracks in the hose.

I'd replace those first before you get too carried away with replacing the tank. While you have the tank dropped you can also give it a good look over. New replacement tanks aren't that expensive if you find problems.
^^^Excellent advice. Rep points!
rsg1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

How does it work?

"J-B WELD is packaged in two tubes. One contains liquid steel/epoxy resin, and the other contains hardener. When mixed together in equal portions, a chemical reaction occurs that turns the mixture into a compound as hard and tough as steel -- and with similar properties."

Never tried it with a magnet or tried to weld to it but come on, this is not really steel.

I don't have anything against it as a product (it holds my gearshift together) but it is a point repair. If you had a puncture in the tank from a nail it would be great as no welding needed (not a good idea on a petrol tank) but if the tank is near the end of its days it will not just be a single point, the tank will devlop further pin holes.

A tank sealant will be sloshed around inside the tank and coat the entire interior surface. This is the right product to use for an old tank that is past its sell by date, such as old motorcycle tanks.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyray2929
Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500 F. It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!
Doesn't it say on the package. Can be handeled in 8 hours or so. And cured in 24.
This stuff does work. I used it on a cracked block, to seal a water leak ( exterior, drivers side, close to the motor mount, 1' long) lasted for a year before starting to seep again.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
jamie0921
1973 CJ5 

I tightened all my hoses it helped a lot I've got 2 very small leaks now and I already have jb doom going to use it and the tanks brand new it should be fine I hope
jamie0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Was it actually leaking from the tank? I'm surprised to be honest. Instead of tightening those hoses, replace them.. they are.. what.. almost 40 years old!
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
jamie0921
1973 CJ5 

Just a few months old I've framed off restored everything is new
jamie0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

I've tried JB weld many times on metal tanks. Even with excellent prep, I consider it an emergency or stop gap fix. The gas will dissolve the contact layer of JB weld in a month a best. I recommend using the gas tank patch kits available at your local auto zone and such. They will include a fiberglass patch and epoxy resin designed to better stand up to the gas. If its near your exhaust at all I'd recommend a s thin I heat reflective tape over the top also because any extreme heat will degrade the epoxy and ruin the bond.

New metal tanks can be had for about $150 online with a sending unit from eBay.
gunrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.