Gas Monkey Garage (Richard Rawlings+ Dennis Collins) = Collins Brothers - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gas Monkey Garage (Richard Rawlings+ Dennis Collins) = Collins Brothers

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #91
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
All I have to say is, these Gas Monkey guys are a helluva lot more entertaining than the watching Paul Sr. and Jr yelling at each other.

Matt
How bout when the Gas Monkey guys spanked Sr and Jesse James in the biker buildoff? Now there was some unscripted tension there!

As for CB, I've dealt with them for 20+ years and even dealt with Dennis personally about 10 years ago. He offered some great advise about a CJ that I had. Like everyone has said, they are in the business to make money, and it takes a willing buyer and a willing seller for anything to have a value. That's the whole premise behind the show.

Unread 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #92
JakeRod13
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher View Post
Read this entire thread.... I have to say that while he has lost money on deals, he has made up in royalties for the show... No need to worry there. Guys with this kind of scratch rarely leave themselves that exposed.

My dad who was a real estate developer always said " you make money on the buy and not on the sale" was right. If someone wants to sell him their vehicle for cheep and he makes money on it, then good for him. He has the network and connections to make that happen that you and I don't have.

I remember a friend that wanted a cobra mustang convert for free and figured a way to get it. He found a used SVT Cobra for 26K that he liked. He then bought a fixer up house for 40K put in 10 on repairs and sold it for 80K. Bought the car the next week. Some people are just wired to figure those things out and are in the right position financially to make it happen.
If you really want to see $$ fly around for seemingly no real reason, check out exotic animal market. There was a day that ostriches and emus sold for 25 k per breeding pair and two years later, couldnt give them away.

As far as buying a car for 100K on Barrett, if you are worth 10 mill and you pay 100 grand for a car, that is about 1% for a play toy...... Now take the guy that works for him and he is worth 250K and he buys a car for 1% of his worth...... 2500.00 Jeep CJ and posts on here how stupid it is for his boss to spend that kind of money and not even change the oil on it. That is just a matter of decimal points to me. Why would I begrudge someone that can afford something for buying it (even if he didn't have the time or knowledge to build it himself)

In my opinion, the best show about selling and buying cars is Wheeler Dealers out of the UK. Mike and Ed are great and Ed is very good on all aspects of the build.

well said
JakeRod13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #93
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We love the show, it's entertaining and fun. So what if Gas Monkey makes money in the process (well, at least some of the time), isn't that the point?!? How is it any different than Pawn Stars, American Pickers, or anyone else out there? If I buy something, I try to get it at the lowest price I can. If I sell it, I want to get as much money as I can. If anyone is doing otherwise please let me know, as I have things I'd like to sell to or buy from them!

Sure, there's some scripted drama, such as when the Mustang was involved in a fender bender; but it is for entertainment purposes. The show is a lot more enjoyable than American Chopper or Counting Cars.

I've also been a fan of Wheeler Dealers from the UK, but one huge fallacy in that show is that the labor involved in restoring the vehicles on it is never factored into the final price of the car when Mike Brewer (who now owns his own car dealership in Sheffield, South Yorkshire) sells it. Edd (two d's) China spends days working on a car and even has help from Paul on occasion, and I am sure others are involved as well. The show claims that most of the work could be done by your average home mechanic, but I for one wouldn't tackle many of the things Edd does as I don't have the skills or tools necessary. Still, they do fix some rare cars and the concept of getting these classics back on the road is a good one. "Job well done" as they always say!

By the way, Dennis Collins has an estimated worth of $20M from what I found. Given how much cash he usually has on hand, that's believable.

Cheers! M2
M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #94
1Stan

Re: Dennis Collins

Dennis Collins of Collins Bros Jeep is seen on the show Fast and Loud but he
is also seen on the Dallas Car Sharks when someone gets a jeep at
auction and needs it fixed up. He and Richard Rawlings now have a
new web site to sell the Copo Camaro Richard got from GM. 2013COPOCAMARO.COM
1Stan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #95
mdwhite
2007 XJ Cherokee 

I had no idea Dennis from the show was involved with Collins Brothers Jeep either until I saw that shirt. I figured he was just some Uptown Dallas millionaire. I live in Wylie and gawk at those beautiful Jeeps daily! I wonder if he lives out here too?

#localstreetstalking
mdwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #96
JeepGirl1971

I've know Dennis for over 17 years now and believe me, that guy isn't "raping" people with the prices of the jeeps he sells. CB Jeeps is not even a dealership really. It's meant for restoration. Almost all of the jeeps on his lot have had some sort of restoration or custom work done. That's why the prices are so high. Another thing, Dennis also buys and sells classic cars like Richard does so that's why he was brought in to the mix. Neither Richard or Dennis are hurting for money AT ALL. So hate them all you want but both of them are small business owners that have made something of themselves.

Richard can be a pain in the *** but Dennis is genuinely one of the kindest, most easy going guys I've ever hung out with. He loves his wife and his kids more than anything on this planet and he does what he does because he is passionate about it. Not because of the money. And if Dennis wasn't such a good man I wouldn't feel the need to defend him to y'all but he genuinely treats everyone with the utmost respect. I love Richard too because he's always been really nice to me but he does get to be a little much sometimes! He's a partier for sure!
JeepGirl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #97
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl1971 View Post
...I love Richard too because he's always been really nice to me but he does get to be a little much sometimes! He's a partier for sure!
What's wrong with partying? That's what we're known for!

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #98
BubbaK
1983 CJ7 

Well, since there's a few JF members who know Richard and Dennis personally, ask them to do a Jeep build-off on Fast N Loud. I think it'd be a bad *** show!!

'83 CJ-7_258 I-6_T-4_D300_AMC20/D30_Bone Stock
BubbaK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #99
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaK View Post
Well, since there's a few JF members who know Richard and Dennis personally, ask them to do a Jeep build-off on Fast N Loud. I think it'd be a bad *** show!!

'83 CJ-7_258 I-6_T-4_D300_AMC20/D30_Bone Stock
Better yet...ask them to do a JF member dream build, and draw the winners name from a JF member only entry.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #100
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Richard is a little much for me, OK in very small doses, but Aaron is the guy that will talk for hours about ANY vehicle to anyone.
They use our Air Ride and Ride Tech products.
Never met Dennis. Seen him a couple of times but no one has introduced him to me.

As for the rest of it, it's all subjective... Subject to your slant on things... So I can't comment.

As for someone that has done exactly the same thing, the entire idea is to make money.
You find, fix up something someone else wants, then you proceed to get as much for it as you can.

Remember, these car shows and auctions aren't frequented by poor people looking for basic transportation,
They are filled with folks with EXPENDABLE CASH in their pockets.

People don't fly/drive a thousand miles to look at ONE specific vehicle unless they have been WANTING it...
And they bring a fat budget to acquire that vehicle...

Richard (or any other car dealer) doesn't FORCE anyone to sell, seller takes an offer they can live with.
If seller says 'NO' the offer goes up or you walk off,
No one is twisting your arm to SPEND the money on a 'Toy', so if the customers don't like the deal, they can walk off also...

I find it really odd folks comment on what the buy/sell prices are when it's a mutual transaction all the way around, while they think nothing of wally-world selling 'China' junk at 10,000% profit margins!

If the guy can make money doing it, keep employees and their families in beans & jeans... More power to him!
It's a cinch he didn't get any 'Bail Out' money from the government that went to huge bonuses for the same people that sank the industries they were supposed to be managing!

Richard had a really hard 10 years recently, just like everyone else in the performance parts business.
Glad to see he got the show, some publicity and is getting back on his feet after some really hard times...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #101
turkish6
1982 CJ8 

I don't know if it was mentioned but I believe Ferrari was sold in auction not to long ago. I remembering a headline a few weeks back
turkish6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #102
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post
Better yet...ask them to do a JF member dream build, and draw the winners name from a JF member only entry.
That's a great idea. That way you end up with the platform you want as a base, and have some input as to your "desires".
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #103
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

With the love CB has gotten on this forum from some of the trolls do you really think they'd even consider it?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-collins-brothers-jeep-8k-234523/
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #104
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Just saw this on Gas Monkey's Facebook page. Can't wait to see if they finally do a Jeep!
capture3.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #105
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I just watched a trailer on the shows website "a new monkey" which I'm not sure which episode that it's from. But they are bolting on some parts to a Wrangler so that might be from tonights show "jacked up wrangler" -Aaron and the Gas Monkey crew overhaul a Jeep in 24 hours to surprise a friend. I wish they'd take an actual Jeep and restore it, maybe like they did the Bronco. Now that would make a good show.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.