Gas Monkey Garage (Richard Rawlings+ Dennis Collins) = Collins Brothers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gas Monkey Garage (Richard Rawlings+ Dennis Collins) = Collins Brothers

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #76
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa505 View Post
You are now forced to by health insurance.
Which that is a rip off where you are forced to buy high and collect low!

Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #77
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
everytime i see richard loose money it makes me happy, he screws the seller and then turn around and screws the buyer
You're an idiot, who knows nothing about classic cars, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaK View Post
I know! Right?
see above.

It dosen't matter if you pay a dollar for something, if the buyer and seller come to a deal, its a deal. Screwing someone is when you don't pay them.

Tool's always say oh I got screwed on that deal, or someone tried to screw me on this deal blah blah. They didn't. Nobody asks what something is worth because nobody wants to pay asking price.

You need to walk away from the automotive world, before you say something untrue about a person or company and sully thier reputation because you aren't smart enough to understand the difference between haggling and screwing someone over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54 View Post
I never saw him hold a gun to anyones head or twist their arm???? I think he pays a very fair price and sometimes I think he overpays.
Exactly

I've watched him win and lose his *** several times. I flip a few vehicles a year, and it deffinitly can go south in a hurry, without warning.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #78
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

OK, enough about the 427 'Vette. The guy drove past how many shops w/a body and a truck bed full of parts. He didn't shop the car to ANY Corvette dealers/restorers on the way? No Ebay, Hemmings or Corvette Magazine classifieds? He drove frome Canada to Texas to get boned? A lot of people in the 'Vette crowd didn't want it, wouldn't pay that much or the jack-wagon wanted to be on the TVs so bad he took it on the chin. If he had 1/2 a brain he'd have done what Gas Monkey did and at least assemble the car and peddle it at Hershey.
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #79
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

One word describes what happens on these shows. Staged.
http://mobile.thewrap.com/thewrap/pm...tguid=S34bGQLo

I imagine Fast and Loud is no different.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #80
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

I just want the money the Ewings waste on Dallas.Now that's reality
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #81
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Watching the episode I think the OP is talking about. Face it, these guys have cash and they had to wheel and deal to make it. They each are in the business to flip auto parts and its seems like they're doing a great job.
Only in America......
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #82
HAARUBICON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I for one like the show, I think because I realize alot of it is staged. I live 80 miles from Dallas, about 70 from Collins Brothers. Dennis Collins is a good guy making money on Jeeps. (I guarantee he bought that J truck out of west texas when the camera wasnt rolling, if I remember right they had a trailer, but the benz was shipped) His shop has new and used parts, I got a killer deal on a relacement top from him.
Someone on this post said the Ferrari deal was overstated, I sure hope so. Richard does some crazy stuff and loses his A$$, but 400k wrecked F40 is a loser all day long. There is no way Ferrari will recertify that car if the repair is done in his shop. When I saw the car roll out of that trailer I was thinking 50k tops, 500k to rebuild, maybe sell it for 600k. Maybe I am wrong, and I think Dennis is smarter than that, but I dont know.
Oh, and Alloy Ash is hot, I mean smokin hot.
Favorite Cars, The Lincoln was cool, the 68 Ford truck looked great, the Fairlain was nice and the impala was pretty sweet. The Bronco as a commisioned build was nice, hated to see the uncut fenders cut, but its not mine.
As a TV show, its better than the alternatives.
HAARUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #83
pritchaj2000
1972 CJ5 

I was sold on the show at the start of this season. I think it was on just before the 1st episode. Richard had the best quote -I'll paraphrase. "Get out in your garage and build something. Even if it's your lawn mower". That is a notion that is lost in today's society, and I respect him and anyone who tries to rebuild, modify or fix something.

I guess the little Honda owner with the coffee can exhaust deserves some respect. As long as he/she bolted it on himself/herself.

Build thread: http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showthread.php?78780-1972-CJ-5-Almost-Restoration
pritchaj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #84
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchaj2000 View Post

I guess the little Honda owner with the coffee can exhaust deserves some respect. As long as he/she bolted it on himself/herself.
you'd be surprised what those lil hondas with the fart cans can do.

they are many that are running 4 cyclinders, no power adders, in the 9's in the 1/4 mile.

impressive to say the least.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #85
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post

they are many that are running 4 cyclinders, no power adders, in the 9's in the 1/4 mile.

stratton.
For every one of those there is 100 posers that are just annoying.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #86
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post

stratton.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there are NO 4 cyls in the 9's 1/4 mile without a Turbo/supercharger, which are both power adders...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #87
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Inho

Read this entire thread.... I have to say that while he has lost money on deals, he has made up in royalties for the show... No need to worry there. Guys with this kind of scratch rarely leave themselves that exposed.

My dad who was a real estate developer always said " you make money on the buy and not on the sale" was right. If someone wants to sell him their vehicle for cheep and he makes money on it, then good for him. He has the network and connections to make that happen that you and I don't have.

I remember a friend that wanted a cobra mustang convert for free and figured a way to get it. He found a used SVT Cobra for 26K that he liked. He then bought a fixer up house for 40K put in 10 on repairs and sold it for 80K. Bought the car the next week. Some people are just wired to figure those things out and are in the right position financially to make it happen.

If you really want to see $$ fly around for seemingly no real reason, check out exotic animal market. There was a day that ostriches and emus sold for 25 k per breeding pair and two years later, couldnt give them away.

As far as buying a car for 100K on Barrett, if you are worth 10 mill and you pay 100 grand for a car, that is about 1% for a play toy...... Now take the guy that works for him and he is worth 250K and he buys a car for 1% of his worth...... 2500.00 Jeep CJ and posts on here how stupid it is for his boss to spend that kind of money and not even change the oil on it. That is just a matter of decimal points to me. Why would I begrudge someone that can afford something for buying it (even if he didn't have the time or knowledge to build it himself)

In my opinion, the best show about selling and buying cars is Wheeler Dealers out of the UK. Mike and Ed are great and Ed is very good on all aspects of the build.
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #88
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

All I have to say is, these Gas Monkey guys are a helluva lot more entertaining than the watching Paul Sr. and Jr yelling at each other.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #89
JeepMonkey
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMonkey View Post
I caught it too. I did not know that Dennis' last name was Collins. I figured he was somehow involved with CB Jeeps because he looks like a d!ck on TV and I hear nothing but bad experiences with the folks in Wylie. Put 2 and 2 together.

Also, I read on another forum that the F40 purchase was WAY overstated than what it actually sold for. Apparently the seller only wanted $200K for the car and the highest offer they got was for $80K. The $80K offer was before the Fast N Loud guys got involved.
This statement has really bothered me since I said it a few days ago. I have no right to make a statement about someone's personality/ character. Especially one I have never met in person and ONLY seen on TV. Putting on my dunce cap now!
JeepMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #90
spward

1985 CJ7 

I will say that all of my experiences with CB have been neutral to negative. Haven't managed to buy anything from them as it is impossible to get them to return phone calls and e-mails. When I do talk with someone, the price is higher than I would expect to pay. However, i'm looking for a 30 year old part and have come to the realization that if I want it, I need to pay for 30 years of storage of said part. So while CB charges a pretty penny, they are in the business of making money. More than likely I will do business with them in the future as the CL and e-bay crowd want more in return for a less quality part on several items. In the end, it would be great to have money to just throw out as I wanted too. However, if I ever get my CJ to where I wanted it, what the hell would I spend my time on? The good part is that my retirement is on track to where I need it to be sans any government payout. The Jeep fund is the leftover scraps that the wife lets me have, and it’s just scraps.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.