Gas Monkey Garage (Richard Rawlings+ Dennis Collins) = Collins Brothers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gas Monkey Garage (Richard Rawlings+ Dennis Collins) = Collins Brothers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2 View Post
When you are the owner, you can wrench when and if you want to, and do burnouts when you want to...its a perk.
Yea I know your right...hopefully my Jeep with 35s is able to do a burnout

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Cracks me up every time Sue calls them "A$$ Monkey". I'm a fan, even though Richard reminds us all of a slick talking Frat buddy we all had.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Foose is more a joke then Richard rawlings.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
lockedcj7
1985 CJ7 

The only thing "real" about reality TV is that it's TV. Richard is a clown but it's fun to watch. I probably wouldn't sell anything to him and I darn sure won't be buying anything from him. As others have said, some people just want to unload their crap and are willing to take the first offer. Others want what he's got and don't mind paying his prices. To each his own, I guess. I really enjoyed the one where the old widow sold him a pile of crap and he ended up punting it and starting over.
lockedcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
texan2
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
That's why I never watch the Barret-Jackson auctions, it makes me sick seeing some of the prices those people pay. All I see from it is the prices for those vehicles go thru the roof: "Well a Chevette just like this went for $xxx,xxx.xx on Barrett-Jackson, so I think this one at $xx,xxx less is a steal!" Yeah, rich people with too much money ruining it for the normal folks..

Sorry,

Chevette used for illustrative purposes only, no idea what they go for there...
So when a rich person buys a rare classic car, it somehow ruins it for normal folk?

(BTW, I haven't seen a Chevette roll across the stage there, typically they sell rare classics and antiques.)

If you are rich and want to buy a classic car, good for you. Should rich people not enjoy their hobby because it may effect YOUR ability to buy something at some point in the future?

As far as we know it is a normal person who owns the car being sold and that money will change their life for the better.....

Free market....I love it.
texan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2

So when a rich person buys a rare classic car, it somehow ruins it for normal folk?

(BTW, I haven't seen a Chevette roll across the stage there, typically they sell rare classics and antiques.)

If you are rich and want to buy a classic car, good for you. Should rich people not enjoy their hobby because it may effect YOUR ability to buy something at some point in the future?

As far as we know it is a normal person who owns the car being sold and that money will change their life for the better.....

Free market....I love it.
Well said
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #37
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
I take it Boyd Coddington was an idiot too because he did burnouts and never picked up a wrench.

Just sayin
Boyd was evidently quite a jerk but when his painter Charlie quit Boyd got in a painting suit and painted a high end hot rod they were working on. So even though he seldom used his skills, he obviously still had some.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #38
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1918 View Post
Foose is more a joke then Richard rawlings.
I agree.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #39
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am still trying to get over someone paying him 25K for a rust bucket stationwagon. Very hard to believe!
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #40
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
I am still trying to get over someone paying him 25K for a rust bucket stationwagon. Very hard to believe!
Yea, but it had a completely rebuilt frame, reinforcing crossmembers, custom 4 link suspension, expensive wheels, new brakes and driveline components, new crate V8, new axles and a full sealant job to contain the rust for appearance. I can see where 25k would go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #41
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
That's why I never watch the Barret-Jackson auctions, it makes me sick seeing some of the prices those people pay. All I see from it is the prices for those vehicles go thru the roof: "Well a Chevette just like this went for $xxx,xxx.xx on Barrett-Jackson, so I think this one at $xx,xxx less is a steal!" Yeah, rich people with too much money ruining it for the normal folks..

Sorry,

Chevette used for illustrative purposes only, no idea what they go for there...
If you take the time to build a vehicle right, don't skimp anywhere, and expect not to get your labor back out of it, You too can build a vehicle that's worth big bucks. One thing I've learned is that you will never get paid for your time that you put into a vehicle. I think Richard has found the happy medium. He buys vehicles for a certain price figures out how much he has to put into it, then sells it for a profit.... most of the time.
I had a friend in Oklahoma that used to look for cars with transmission problems. He'd pick them up for a couple hundred bucks up to a thousand. He'd put in a remanufactured transmission and sell it for a profit. Sometimes he'd make a lot, sometimes he'd make a little.
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
well he got that one guy on the 66 corvette, talk him down and then sold it hours later at mega profit
That doesn't make him a bad guy. Makes him a car savy business guy.

I've bought cars for pennies n turned around and sold it a week later for thousands. I've sold car parts for years. Part of the game.

Stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #43
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

four words immediately come to mind, whenever watching something unbelievable on tv

"THE MAGIC OF HOLLYWOOD"

can't believe this thread is evern progressing, much less I am offering my two cents. Remember, these shows all of us are elucidating upon are produced, created, imagined, and have life breathed into are brought to us all by the same folks who brought us Blazing Saddles, The Jerk, Reefer Madness, Looney Toons, the Flintstones, AL Bundy, Charley Waffles Harper, Steve Erkel and a million misaligned fictional characters such as these. would it make anyone feel any better if Chumlee from that pawn show in Vegas was rebuilding those cars, or flipper? or lassie? how bout greg brady or charlie manson?
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #44
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I would venture that there are two garages in play here, similar to occ. there is the shop that everyone sees on the show, where they buy it, hop it, and sell it.

They do a car an episode -8-12/yr. then there is the other side of the shop where the actual bread and butter flows through. Doing bolt ons, little mods, or semi to full restorations, that have a built in profit margin.

No one is in it for the suntan or experience. If they are it's called a hobby or they won't be in business long.

OCC used to have a full blown ironworks shop. That paid the bills. Then the chopper thing took off. And tshirts and royalties pay them now.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

My vote goes to

Wile E. Coyote. Just like our Jeeps, we keep coming back for more.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.