Gas guage/water temp guage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gas guage/water temp guage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
SwampBuggy

Gas guage/water temp guage

I have a 1983 CJ5 and both my gas guage and water temp guage dont work, is there a fuse that is for both of these that could've gone out? I need to fix this soon so any help is greatly appreciated

SwampBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
boydog40

check the instrument cluster fuse first if not blown then you have a hot wire (red) coming into the back of the fuel gauge check it for fire as it feeds power to the fuel gauge and the temp gauge, if you have power thru the wire then make sure the instrument cluster is grounded, if you have both then the gauges are both bad
there are some very good articles on here as to gauge repairs
boydog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuggy View Post
I have a 1983 CJ5 and both my gas guage and water temp guage dont work, is there a fuse that is for both of these that could've gone out? I need to fix this soon so any help is greatly appreciated
There is a fuse for the gauges.
But most of the time, it's the voltage regulator built into the fuel gauge that has gone out...

Yes, I didn't misspeak, there is a voltage regulator built into the fuel gauge, and it knocks back the voltage for the guages to work with...

There is a user named John Strenk here, and he has a WONDERFUL page or two on how to diagnose, repair, replace tune and work with these gauges.
If I were you, I'd look him up and ask him directly for links to his pages! It's REALLY GOOD STUFF, probably the best write up and pictures you can find now on the trouble prone Jeep cluster gauges...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Here ya go - It's defintely in my favorites
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre..._gau.htm#Fuses

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
SwampBuggy

Thanks guys!!!
SwampBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.