gas coming back out of the tank from the sending unit return line - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > gas coming back out of the tank from the sending unit return line

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
cableguy55

gas coming back out of the tank from the sending unit return line

I have a 79 CJ7 355 SBC all emissions stuff yanked off. After driving a distance of filling the tank i have a ton of gas coming back out of the tank from the sending unit return line. Tried unscrewing the cap to relieve pressure but that doesn't help. The SBC has a mechanical fuel pump also. and when i mean it comes out the return line it sounds like somebody turned on the water hose behind my jeep/(Heep right now ;p

cableguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Maybe I'm missing something but the return line should be connected to the tank! You need to explain how your lines are connected.
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

What is the return line hooked to now, carb side, tank side?
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

are you using a filter? make sure your filter is hooked up right.
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
cableguy55

Ok out of the top of the sending unit there is two lines coming out. One is the gas feed and i am assuming the other was a return line that went to the canister. the non feed line is the one that the gas is coming out of. my fuel pump has no return line hook up.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Get yourself a Jeep inline fuel filter. The feed line and return line go to it and the other end to your carb.Any excess fuel will be sent back to the tank from there. Part Detail at CSK Auto
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Are your vent lines hooked up? The tube you are talking about connects to the top of the sending unit an does not go down into the tank far at all if I remember correctly.

So your gas is flowing out of this line from pressure building in the tank, or from the jeep being on an angle enough to let it flow out.

If your vent lines are working, just plug this line. If they are not, you need to get them working.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
cableguy55

does the tank vent out the cap?
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You could always run this line up high with a filter on it as an aux vent to help prevent vapor lock in the future.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy55 View Post
does the tank vent out the cap?
No, it should have a vent line which leads to a roll over check valve behind the drivers side rear fender, and then on the the charcoal canister located up behind the drivers side front fender.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
cableguy55

All of that is gone no longer there.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Get a inline roll over valve (Make sure you put it in with the correct side up ) and run the line to a higher spot with a filter on the end. That will duplicate what came from the factory.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

You are talking about the two lines from the sending unit right? They have nothing to do with venting the tank. One is the fuel outlet line to the fuel pump and the smaller one is the fuel return line from the fuel filter. It is a simple filter get one and put it in the line. On the tank left side you have two nips on the tank (not the ones in the sending unit) that vent the tank. The two lines go to the liquid check valve and one leaves it and runs up to the rollover check valve. This line leaves the rollover valve and runs up to the charcoal canister. These two are the fuel tank vapor vent lines. No the cap does not vent the tank. I failed emissions for a leaking cap and had to go get a new cap to pass. This is from the 1979 Jeep factory service manual.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
You are talking about the two lines from the sending unit right? They have nothing to do with venting the tank. One is the fuel outlet line to the fuel pump and the smaller one is the fuel return line from the fuel filter.
This is the correct.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

&9-81 has 2 hose connections of the sending unit the large one is the outlet goes to the fuel pump. the smaller one is the fuel return line comes from your fuel filter. The jeep fuel filters have one inlet from the fuel pump and 2 outlets, one to the carb and other back to the tank. There are 2 vacuum lines on the left side of the tank those lines go to a liquid check valve one line comes out of the LCV and goes to a rollover check valve and from the rollover valve up to the canister. there valves are located on left rear on the panel that separates the wheel opening from the rear of the body. Those valves may or may not be connected or the lines are rotten if the valves are free and in working order hook then back up, they're supposed to fuel flow in case of a rollover
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.