Garage space heater - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Garage space heater

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
frankush
2002 WJ 

I installed a Modine "hot dawg" 45K BTU in my 2.5 car garage and it's fantastic. Had a couple of 240v 5000w fan forced electric units before that and they couldn't keep up. The garage now has a full drywall ceiling and is fully insulated. I generally leave it at about 50 degrees, unless I'm working out there. Prior to this I used a convection heater like the one in the link below. Hook it up to a 20# propane tank. Warms up the garage fast. I think Menards had a similar unit on sale recently for 80 bucks. I highly recommend it for temp heat.

http://www.reddyheaters.net/

It's shown under the convection heater category (portable)

frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjinTopeka View Post
Ha ha around here Carrier is always followed by the word junk, those damn yellow wires.
Yea, they sell em' cheap, but when it comes time to buy parts for it they stick it to you. That's where I think they make thier money IMHO.

Quote:
who doesn't want a/c in the garage

I installed the evaporative cooler from my house (when I installed my central air) onto my garage. I LOVE having A/C in the summertime out there! An evaporative cooler works great at blowing out fumes and allows you to work with the garage door open without feeling guilty for any air loss. They only work in dry area's, so not something everyone can take advantage of. I talked to a contractor back east that had never even heard of an evap cooler, how wierd is that?
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=I installed the evaporative cooler from my house (when I installed my central air) onto my garage. I LOVE having A/C in the summertime out there! An evaporative cooler works great at blowing out fumes and allows you to work with the garage door open without feeling guilty for any air loss. They only work in dry area's, so not something everyone can take advantage of. I talked to a contractor back east that had never even heard of an evap cooler, how wierd is that?[/QUOTE]

no you dye in the humid summer heat over here on the east coast i mentioned evap cooler to my bosses and they looked at me funny and said well at least your not out in the sun... meanwhile its like 115 and humid with zero air movement in the garage.
83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Ollie09
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I would say a unit heater would be the ideal way to heat the garage. It's up off the floor/away from fumes, this also puts it out of the way. Reznor makes some nice electronic ignition unit heaters, no pilot light to worry about, no fire hazard during the summer, easy to operate. EDIT These are Gas Fired (i'm anti electric heat).
I agree Reznor natural gas heater mounted on the ceiling. I installed one in my garage about 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did. No more smell and noise from the torpedo heater.

Gary
Ollie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have a wood pellet stove in my workshop that is built of cinder blocks and a double french door to the outside (basement). The pellet stove runs off a 110V for the combustion and blower fans and typically cost me about $250.00 to run (cost of 1 ton of pellets) in the winter. Dry heat and makes no dust as it is vented to the outside and has a fresh air intake also. The basement workshop is 28x 60 of heated space.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

I'm lucky enough to have nat gas at the garage. I picked up a used 98% 80,000 BTU house furnace for $100 that needed a $10 relay, and they can be vented with plastic. I put a filter on the side of it and a large elbow on the top and plugged it in. My shop is 24x30 so it's a small space for it to heat but it doesn't run much. I do have to empty the 5 gal water bucket now and then.
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I have a 23,000 BTU kerosene Dura heat unit. It does make a bit of smoke even when you get it adjusted but it keeps the garage warm enough to work in even with the temps outside in the teens. My garage is not insulated either.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I have a wood pellet stove in my workshop that is built of cinder blocks and a double french door to the outside (basement). The pellet stove runs off a 110V for the combustion and blower fans and typically cost me about $250.00 to run (cost of 1 ton of pellets) in the winter. Dry heat and makes no dust as it is vented to the outside and has a fresh air intake also. The basement workshop is 28x 60 of heated space.

awsome space you have so much room it looks like

my garage is only roughly 20 by 30
83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
kp900
1984 CJ7 

Used a kerosene torpedo the last few years. Going with the propane 30,000 btu that mounts on top of the tank this winter. Just can't handle the noise.
kp900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Lots of good responses. Looks like I've got some research to do. My garage is 2.5 with a small shop nook. Fully drywalled ( ceiling also) with insulation on the garage door - but it is still getting cold! I've got plenty of 110v, but no 240. Whatever heater I get I'd likely only run it on the weekends when I'm working in the garage.

If this info leans anyone one way or another, let me know. I'll start looking at some of these options and see. Space is limited. I dont want to create condensation and support rust. Also don't like the idea of soot / film.

Tough decisions....

1983 lime green CJ7 - 258 with DUI & Weber, Crane cam, 2" lift, MTs w/ BFGs

2010 2-Door, 6-Speed Black JK Sahara - Teraflex 3" Coil Lift with Front Lower and Rear Upper Flex Arms - Bilstein 5100 Shocks -JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar - Teraflex Front Knuckle Gussets - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - Rock Hard Transfer case skid - Rock Hard Evap relocation Kit - Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - MBRP off-road exhaust - AEV Pintler Wheels - GoodYear MTR/K 35x12.5x17 - Detroit Track Loc Carrier up Front - Yukon 4.88 Gears - Cobra 75 CB with Cool Tech bracket - Die-Tech mirror relocation brackets
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

I run a 45k mr heater hanging furnace Works great that also make a 75k one.Can run on gas or propane.
http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsl...pecSheetLR.pdf

Just check around for best prices.Nothern Tool has specials on them this time of year.
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I run a propane heater for about 20 minutes before I go into the garage then turn it off and it stays warm for a couple hrs.
872076015468xl.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I've got a 100,000 btu furnace that I am going to convert to propane. Luckily I have an uncle in the heating and cooling business and people are taking advantage of tax credits to update and ditching perfectly good furnaces.
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
drummer31779
1978 CJ5 

I use a Mr. Heater 75000-125000 BTU propane heater. It's one of those cannon looking ones and sounds like a jet engine when running, but even on the lowest setting, I let it run for about 20 min and it warms my garage up fine. Then I turn it on and off intermittently throughout the evening. Talk about instant heat too. I did some spray painting the other day and sat the piece in front of the heater and it dried in seconds.
drummer31779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #30
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
I dont want to create condensation and support rust. Also don't like the idea of soot / film.

Tough decisions....
The key to avoiding condensation is to keep the air moving so metal warms up with the rise in air temps. Maintaining the garage in the 40s or 50s full time is a big help in that regard.

Propane heat is one of the most expensive forms of fuel but also very convenient. The important thing to note with propane is container size. Since the liquid has to change to gas, the surface area of the liquid is important. With a BBQ cylinder you only have a square foot or so of evaporative area, which has a hard time feeding a heater bigger than about 25K btu. So if you opt for a large propane cylinder, it's worth considering a somewhat larger tank that only gets filled once a year. I've known several people who did just that.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.