Gages do not work, new painless kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gages do not work, new painless kit

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
jrsjeep
1985 CJ7 

Gages do not work, new painless kit

I put a complete 12 circuit painless kit to fix any electrical nightmares I may have had with a jeep that has sat for years. I bought the painless 10110 kit. most everything works, I have 2 gages that do not.

The oil pressure gage reads 0 at all times. The kit has 1 purple wire for it, I put it to the top of the dome part of it, there is an additional switch adjacent to it with 2 prongs, and no wires for it. The dome part of it and the switch are attached to a "tee" that comes out of the block. If i remove the "tee", there is an external thread coming out of the block, i cannot remove it, to put a pressure gage there. what am I missing? is this a normal setup?

secondly, my tach does not work. it has 2 wires coming from it, i assumed one was the backlight, painless has 1 purple wire for this one also. it doesnt read no matter which wire i try. i am also TBI injected if this matters.
i would like them to work.
any tidbits would be great. thanks.

jrsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
jrsjeep
1985 CJ7 

To be clear, this is on a 258 engine.
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Have you tried calling Painless to see if they can offer any insight?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
jeepaholic1008
1983 CJ7 

The 2 prong switch is an oil pressure switch that activates the electric choke and manifold heater when it registers oil pressure. I believe the painless kit has a red w/white trace that goes to it iirc. not sure if that would make the oil pressure gauge not work.
jeepaholic1008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Like jeepaholic1001 says, The two prong switch is just to activate the echoke and manifold heater when the engine is running. It has nothing to do with the operation of the oil gauge.

The tach could be interesting. Is yours an OEM tach because it has to be run on series with the ignition system. Usually the tach stuff supplied with the painless system works better with an aftermarket tach.

You will need to rewire the ignition so the tach is in series with the ICM and ignition coil. Meaning from the ignition to the tach, from the tach to the ICM and ignition coil.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
jrsjeep
1985 CJ7 

thanks for the info. i was trying to keep it stock, but I was thinking about looking for a tach that looks similar. I am not real good with electrical solutions.
painless said pretty much the same thing. not very helpful as far as using the original.
my manifold heater is not hooked up either, so i guess i wont worry about the switch for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.