Fuse question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuse question?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Darksidehybrid
1980 CJ5 

Fuse question?

1980 Cj5, 258,T-176, Dana 300, I have a blade type fuse block, but because of my wife's discount at work(20%), I bought 2 slime 12 volt compressors (twice as fast to air up, and if one burns up I can still fill up with the other)but the compressors came with a cigarette lighter plug, with an integral fuse, I had two cut live wires under the dash, so I used the "always live" wire for my cb, and the ignition only wire for my quad cig. outlet, but the fuse could only handle one compressor, and that wire is run through the same fuse as my electric choke so I cut and capped that wire. My Dad recommends that I cut the ends on my compressors and run an inline fuse to an alligator clip to the battery, and my wife's co-workers recommend I run an outlet, if I stick with the outlet I'm going to use a piggy back connector to the fuse block, but I don't know what size fuse to run, the fuses in the compressor plugs appear to be 15/250 each so if you recommend the piggy back circuit what size fuse do I use? If you recommend the inline/ alligator clips that's easy enough, but it would be nice not to have to pop the hood to air up, thanks guys.

Darksidehybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Not sure of your intentions or explanations, but if it was me I would install a connector of some type and wire it directly to the battery. You will need to fuse this circuit at the battery to protect the wiring to the connector, wherever you mount that. If each compressor has a 15 amp fuse, aand you plan on running both compressors at the same time, than you will need a 30 amp fuse at the battery for this circuit. Make sure you run heavy gauge wire to insure the fuse will blow if necessary. I would run both a positive and negative wire from the battery to your connector.

Jim

Last edited by jfwireless; 05-22-2010 at 05:44 AM..
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The fuse panel and the body ground straps are pretty much maxed out in a stock CJ for how much power they can provide so when adding things, I always go fused direct to the battery positive and negative. This gives nice clean power to the items. Lots of folks even add a positive and negative electrical buss connector wired off the battery cable clamps to add on the accessories to, I have bolts on my positive clamp and a negative bolt/post with a big battery cable going to it on the firewall to hook the grounds for things to.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Darksidehybrid
1980 CJ5 

thanks, I only have the simplest understanding of electricity, but it sounds like that piggy back connector to the fuse block could have caused me some big problems if the fuse block is already pretty close to maxed out, I think I'll listen to my Dad, keep things simple, and crimp an inline fuse, and a battery clip onto the ends of the compressors, pop the hood and just run them right off of the battery at the end of a day in the dirt.
Darksidehybrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.