Fuse Panel Diagram '72 Cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuse Panel Diagram '72 Cj5

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
whizerd
1972 CJ5 

Fuse Panel Diagram '72 Cj5

Hey All-

Made the mistake of looking under the dash of my recently purchased CJ5. . .had removed the speedo/fuel/temp combo to see if i could fix fuel gauge. . .after using the advice from the great folks here. . .it might just be a fuse problem....
BUT JEEEZ!
What a freakin' mess! Wires hanging loose, half/as**d attempts at, who knows what someone was trying to do! there are several connections hanging loose, what looks like a harness that has a few combos attached....and the fuse "box"...not a box but ya know the black plastic thing where fuses go. (dont laugh....age will catch up to you too one day).

I went thru the forum trying to find a picture or ?? of what it should look like, and what fuses should be where the empty slots are. Anyone can point me in the right direction?
thanks as always!
Whuz

whizerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The wiring being as bad as you describe you may find it easier and a lot less frustrating to simply buy a complete new harness from some one like this

http://www.vintagejeepparts.com/Parts_Elect_01.asp
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
algmmech
1974 CJ5 

I never thought they used a fuse block prior to 1976. I have a 74 and it had just a few inline fuses under the dash. My wiring sounded like yours. It was so messed up I ripped everything out and started from scratch. I mounted a fuse block to the outside firewall.

I'm a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals
algmmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
73jeep
1973 CJ5 

yep no fuse block on a pre 74 CJ. There all glass inline fuses.
73jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
whizerd
1972 CJ5 

Spahgetti

F.L.W.what can it hurt?
guess i'll just pull the dash off and get busy w/my wire cutters.
there are more wires hanging w/no connection than there are connected.
i'll have a look at my chilton and see whats up.
there are more wires than anything they need to be hooked up to

Famous Last Words
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Hi,

I read your post and learned something!!! I did not know the earlier CJ 1970's did not have a fuse box. would have lost that bet!!!!

I saw a VERY NICE AFTERMARKET FUSE BOX COMPLETE WITH COVER POSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD. This could be your primary fuse box and make many of us jellous and the price is good $35 and $45. Take a look!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/aux-fuse-block-509293/

Regards,
FRED
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
whizerd
1972 CJ5 

Con-fuse-sion

yea i know....lame

have recv'd a lot of advice on this one....someone asked if i could put up a pic since they thought wasnt 'possed 2b...

Heres whats under there...the whole thing is a friggin (is that okay to say?) mess.......i'd like to break it down to the very minimums.

okay folks.......advise
unddshfz.jpg   unddashfuzbx.jpg   junction.jpg  
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Oh so you oder jeep 1970's does have a fuse box?? Here is a pic of 1978 CJ7 and looks very close.

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
dave123
1975 CJ5 

so I'm looking for a picture of my fuse box because the letters had worn off with age, google cj5 fuse box and bingo I find this thread with this picture by Fjguercio. Is the internet something, or what?

thanx Fjguercio!!!
dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

NO! The early '70's DO NOT have a fuse block!

If you have one, it was put there by someone else because AMC didn't use them.

The pictures look factory, so I'd say the tub you have is later than the title you have...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

The Hammer is more than likely on to something. My 75 has a fuse block as pictured above. I know that is how it came, my wife bought the jeep new. IIRC, the switch from inline fuses was somewhere around 74. I wish I had the older style, keeping that nasty old box free of corrosion takes a lot of contorted, frustrating, back wrecking work and a lot of dialectic grease. Once you find them all, I'll take inlines any day.

Someday I'm gonna have to rewire with one of those fancy kits with blade fuses. I don't even want to think about what a horror that will be.
crusty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

74 up had fuse boxes.
74-78 had glass fuses
79-86 had blade fuses.

I've seen a lot of the old glass fuse boxes are rusted and even the rivits used on the back to make connections are rusted leading to poor connection if any. Most fuse clips don't spring back to hold the fuses tight. Might be different depending were you live.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
NO! The early '70's DO NOT have a fuse block!

If you have one, it was put there by someone else because AMC didn't use them.

The pictures look factory, so I'd say the tub you have is later than the title you have...

Thats not even the correct steering column connector for the turn signals in whizard's pictures.

Another thing strange is it looks like the box is mounted vertically not horizontaly like the factory did. I bet someone rewired the whole jeep. Heck, I put an 84 wiring harness in my 76 with no dificulties. Is there a firewall connector on your jeep whizard?

That would make following the '72 schematic a bit complicated, even for me.

just noticed this post is 3 months old... I hope whizard figgured is out by now.
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a '74 CJ5 and just bought an auxiliary fuse block for guages and eventually lights or anything else. My question is, where to I get the 12V supply from in my wiring to feed to the fuse block and eventually what is hooked up to the fuse block?

Thanks,
Scott
Scuter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You probably need two feeds. One that is hot all the time and one that is hot only when the ignition is On. One obviously has to come from a hot lead off the ignition switch. The other usually comes from the battery either on the post if you clamps have the ability to attach an feed or the starter solenoid were the battery cable connects to the solenoid.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.