Fuse box removal question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuse box removal question?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
mknherhappy

Fuse box removal question?

Getting ready to remove the fuse box from an 83 scrambler tub, I see two screws from the inside, and I assume those hold the fuse box from the inside, my question is, there is a 3/8" bolt head in the middle of the wire cluster on the opposite side of the fire wall (motor side), does this hold the motor side wire cluster to the fuse box? How do you go about removing it, if this is not the way?

Thanks again for your help.

mknherhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Alaskaviper
1983 CJ7 

Yes you are correct. I screw in the middle on the engine side will allow you to remove the box on that side. The two screws under the dash will then allow you to remove the fuse box.

I just removed mine a couple days ago and am in the process of rewiring with a painless harness.
Alaskaviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
mknherhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaviper View Post
Yes you are correct. I screw in the middle on the engine side will allow you to remove the box on that side. The two screws under the dash will then allow you to remove the fuse box.

I just removed mine a couple days ago and am in the process of rewiring with a painless harness.
Does the bolt in the middle screw out completely? If so, mine is stripped out. Is there any other clips or hold downs for the engine side?

Thanks again for the help
mknherhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Alaskaviper
1983 CJ7 

Mine was only the one screw. I think it came all the way out. Try and get a flat head screw driver behind the head and apply pressure while unscrewing. If that makes sense
Alaskaviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaviper View Post
Mine was only the one screw. I think it came all the way out. Try and get a flat head screw driver behind the head and apply pressure while unscrewing. If that makes sense
Do all the fuseblocks have the 2 screws on the inside? I can't find any if I did pull them out? I do have the one screw that holds the 2 bulkhead halves on but I'm missing a few screws that I think holds the fuseblock in. Are they special or can I get some at the hardware store? thanks

Edit: I found the screws that I was missing
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You can remove the fuse box with out removing the single screw from the engine side.

THat single screw just holds the bulkhead connector.

Removing the two screws from the passenger side allow you to remove the fusebox a little but the wires are so short it won't move far. Some fuse boxed has two catches as well as two screws holing them in place.

The screw in the middle does not have to come out completely just unscrew it so you can pull the plug out. It's somewhat captive in the connection block but it can be completely removed if needed. Usually you lose it then...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.