fuse box help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuse box help

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
richclan
1982 CJ8 

fuse box help

i have no power to 25A fuses bu seatbelt and 3A gn lps

no power to cig lighter, temp, oil pressure & fuel gauges, brake light warning and 4wd bulbs.

all other bulbs light fine in the dash

all were working fine when i removed dash for painting. fyi now i have a good ground on the dash.

i also disconnected the main buss of wires leading to the fuse panel in order to paint the firewall.

the connections were all cruddy so i cleaned them as best i could [the grease was all black and dried up]

so what do you think i screwed up ????????????????????????????

82 CJ-8 Laredo 258cid Dana 300.T4, blk dia 3" lift w/shocks, YJ brake booster, ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear 456 ratio, Warn Hubs 1" boomerang lift shackles. Superior 1 piece axles. 1" Daystar body lift, contour elect. fans. Ricochet Rockers and Crusher Corners Build= [URL]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/cj-8-scrambler-1106529/[/URL]
richclan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like you have screwed up the wiring, at least one wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box would be my guess is not connected or continuous.

Have you found the right circuit diagram for your vehicle? They vary a bit with different fuse boxes so here are some generic suggestions.

First of all take the cover off the fuse box and get the voltmeter or test light out.

You have incoming supplies which are fed to the +ve side of the fuse holders. Test that you have voltage at each terminal with the ignition on and off. This will give you an idea on which circuit is fed from which part of the switch and which are fed direct.

Now look at which fuses feed the circuits with no power. This will vary according to wiring system but they may well be common to one supply.

If not a problem here take out the fuse and test continuity from the -ve side of the fuse holder out to the equipment. This will track down what is not connected if it is not the feed into the fuse box.

I attach a slightly later fuse diagram as an example only. Yours may well be different.If it was this one you would see immediately that the panel lights are on a different circuit to the cigar lighter etc. It would be self evident that the problem was with the yellow and red supplies from the ignition switch.

If your voltmeter had suddenly stopped working it would be pretty sure to be a problem nearer the switch with the yellow wire. This would also be linked to your cigar lighter but they are pretty unreliable pieces of kit anyway.

The instruments such as oil, temperature and fuel (but not volts) are fed from the red wire via the fuse box.

The panel illumnation lights come from the light switch and are not through these two wires, which may explain why they are still working.

The longer I look at it the more suspicious I am of the steering column connector not being fully plugged in.
84-86fuseboxsch.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A lot of times connectors overheat and distort the housings. Maybe something doesn't make contact after moving the harness around.

A test light will help you greatly at this point. Start from the ignition switch and work your way down.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
richclan
1982 CJ8 

thanks bagusjeep & stenk ill recheck that. im going to look for the dia with the 3 amp circuit in it.

how many HOT wires go into the fuse panel from the big plug?

i only had 1 and it seemed there should be 2 BUT that might be the alt. HOT wire when its running.
82 CJ-8 Laredo 258cid Dana 300.T4, blk dia 3" lift w/shocks, YJ brake booster, ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear 456 ratio, Warn Hubs 1" boomerang lift shackles. Superior 1 piece axles. 1" Daystar body lift, contour elect. fans. Ricochet Rockers and Crusher Corners Build= [URL]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/cj-8-scrambler-1106529/[/URL]
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
titomars
1981 CJ7 

sometimes when a wire gets high loads the connector in the harness plug heats up. it will melts the plastic around it causing the lock tab to not lock any longer. when you pull the plugs apart you may not notice it. so when you reconnect them the wire that had melted the plastic slides out of place and no connection. you might try pulling it apart and looking real close at any red or yellow wires. red and red with white stripes are battery feeds and yellow is ignition feeds.

i believe there is only one red 10ga wire (battery hot) going into the dash. there are 2 red with white stripes (battery fused) going out. yellow has i think 2 running through it
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
richclan
1982 CJ8 

FIXED

all of you were correct!!!

the ign switch connector at the bottom of the steering column was loose. it has red w/white, brown and a yellow wire.

now i can move on with the build.

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.