fuse box diagram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuse box diagram

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 09-29-2002, 08:27 AM   #1
derm

fuse box diagram

i have a 78 cj 5 with 258 i am restoring(3% done) and my fuse box is missing nearly 50% of the fuses and most of the writing on it is eroded, would anyone have the fuse schematics for this? my manuals cj fuse box example looks different than mine and i have no idea what is or is not there, thanks derm

derm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I assume you want to keep this setup?
If not, try painless wiring. They have a kit that replaces the stock one and makes it so easy to determine what goes where.
If you are looking to keep the wiring that you have, but if so, the painless site could probably help you as well.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/m...m1.htm#Diagam2
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
derm

i looked at the painless wiring site and also 4wd hardware and yahoo, they all want over 100 bucks for a new fuse panel, i would still have to guess at what goes where as the labeling is rubbed off the fuse panel in my jeep and it lookes slightly modified, if anyone(i am begging) has a 78 cj and would send me a picture or diagram of their fuse panel i would be grateful, my fuse panel has the large silver fuses on the top and bottom and not next to each other, thanks derm
Unread 10-04-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
werewolf7111

rewiring anything can be a real job- I presume from your post you dont have a background in electrical?

here are some suggestions you may want to try

since you say several are missing and it "looks' modified, probably any OEM diagram wont be of too much help

what I suggest is this

draw a pic of your fuse box and make your own schematic( white out and a fine point pen are real good for remarking old housings)
a)turn power and everything on and pull one fuse at the time- mark what each one cuts off
b) the 2 "silver" fuses are probably the flashers( if rectangular- are probably ignition fuses)
c) any remaining fuse slots are probably for accessories etc. that your specific jeep doesnt have

you didnt state whether you were attempting to rewire or not- but if you are:
a) go to your local electrical supply and get wire loom stock, #12 instrument wire( various colors), wire marking kit, solderless connectors, liquid tape, and a soldering iron

b) SOLDER each joint( many will say this is time consuming and overkill- and if they do, they WILL be right) but by oversizing the wire, soldering connections( all crimped connections work loose eventually) and using liquid tape-you will be proactive in eliminating virtually every short circuit problem down the road
c) put a grommet in EVERY thru hole( i prefer cable connectors for SO cord myself)

d) I do this on every rewire and its wonderful when adding stuff plus it protects wires from everything- use PVC conduit for runs to engine,lights, and rear
e) put about 3 grounds for added return path( front, rear and near tranny)

granted my way is somewhat lengthy but I can honestly say after doing this on jeeps for about 20 years, i have never had a failure or short in a wire

PS- you will find electrical components work better and the alternator works less due to OHM's law ( less resistance due to larger wire and better connections)

joe MSME,PE.
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2002, 11:44 AM   #5
derm

thanks joe! i have a panel from a 79 coming and i will rewire using your suggestions, i will let you know
Unread 10-05-2002, 03:09 PM   #6
werewolf7111

sure thing-I do a lot for 4 wheelers who want stronger solutions

NOW "iF"you REALLY want to do it right. ( I call this the star ship package) get rid of all that OEM stuff and try this( all both of my CJs have this set up)

there are 2 major benefits to this-1 it works better and lasts longer and 2 car thiefs wont be able to hot wire it( if they are gonna break into this, they better bring a torch, VOM and plan to stay a while)

get a sheet of LEXAN 10'x12" and put all controls and relays on it
( go to the electrical supply house and you will find industrial relays which can replace the 12VDC relays in a vehicle)[ 12VDC are standards and they are never out of stock and they cost about 10% of the "SAE" part)

wire in a power master relay and use an ACE key to energize it( this eliminates the old jerk the switch out of the column and start it)

use a 2 position switch for starting

use BREAKERS to replace fuses

lastly, make a LEXAN or expanded metal guard from dash to firewall

all these parts, switches etc are normally available at macmaster carr, MSC, WWGrainger, cameron and barkley and just about any industrial supply

joe MSME, PE.
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.