furthering the parts list... axles, flexplate, tc, gears.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > furthering the parts list... axles, flexplate, tc, gears....

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
KGBnumber1

furthering the parts list... axles, flexplate, tc, gears....

based on my thread here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ch...l#post15364162

i've decided to put a th350 + novak adapter + dana 20 behind my 3.8l v6 in my cj5(dj5 conversion). currently have a 700r4 and no tcase.

questions:
---engine->transmission---
not really jeep related, but since a lot of people use chevy drivetrains.... will i need a new flexplate and torque converter for the th350? i was reading the th350-700r4 are pretty interchangeable, all the way up to coolant line connection locations and shifter. but i need to check, id rather get all the parts in one trip out to the pick n pull.

---axles---
front:
currently just a straight tube original to the dj5. i'll be getting a dana 30 widetrack from a 82-86 cj for the front, as to have the disc brakes. i will most likely keep the stock 2.73/3.54 gearing, whatever i find. i'll need to get new spring perches most likely, and rob the steering linkage from the donor as well.

rear:
currently have a d44 rear narrow track, something like 3.73 gears, limited slip, with 2" aluminum spacers so it is wide track length. i would *like* to keep the limited slip. which of these two options would be my best bet (no rock crawling, maybe mild trail use/lil mud/ pittsburgh snow driving):

swap out to a amc20 from the same donor the dana30 comes from. the gears would probably already match, id get to ditch the spacers, and i'd gain disc brakes. do some amc20's have limited slip, or will i lose that? i would have to get new spring perches and do some welding with this.

keep the d44, keep the drum brakes, keep the 2" spacers, and regear to match the front 2.73/3.54. is the limited slip separate from the gear package or would i need to buy a limited slip gear setup? i wouldnt need new spring perches or do any welding with this.

thanks for sharing your knowledge

Blue Jeep Club member [COLOR=Blue]#100[/COLOR]
1970 DJ-5
3.8 v6
700R4 tranny
countless hours of blood and sweat turning it into a cj-5

Last edited by KGBnumber1; 04-29-2013 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: typo
KGBnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
KGBnumber1

anyone with an axle suggestion? i know the 44 is better but is it worth it to regear an axle that has drum brakes and 2" wheel spacers?
1970 DJ-5
3.8 v6
700R4 tranny
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnumber1 View Post
anyone with an axle suggestion? i know the 44 is better but is it worth it to regear an axle that has drum brakes and 2" wheel spacers?
The M20 has drum brakes as well so I wouldn't factor that into the equation when thinking about regearing. What size tires are you going to run? If it's gonna have at least 33's I'd stick with the gearing of the D44, regear the front to match. Anything higher (numerically lower) than 3.73 is gonna be a dog. The other option is if you can live with sub par performance do the matched set of WT axles with 3.31 or 3.54 gears (just be damn sure you avoid the 2.73's!). It'll save you in regearing costs (unless you can do the set up yourself)
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
KGBnumber1

i thought the amc20 had disc brakes from 82-86? maybe it was just for the dana30.

i doubt i'll ever run 33's. maybe, maybe 31's if i feel frisky. but this will mostly be a heavy winter snow driver, with occasional mild off-road use. i say occasional as in maybe a grassy field or little trail. so i'm not too worried about the amc20 strenth issues. if i were, id definatly keep the 44. i'm more interested in the limited slip rear from the 44.

i think what it comes down to is if i find a set of widetrack axles that has the trak loc amc20. that way i wont have to do any re-gearing at all, just a basic swap in. and i should be able to sell the 44 in that case to recoup some of the losses. i found a website that i can print out with all the axle codes on the case to tell me what gearing it is and if it is trak lok.
1970 DJ-5
3.8 v6
700R4 tranny
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Nope, no jeep prior to the ZJ came with 4 wheel discs.

Since your staying on the small side I agree. Go with a matched wide track pair in 3.31 or 3.54 gears. That should be good for your intended use.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.