Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Funky noise in 4wd, not so bad in 2wd

619 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BESRK 
#1 ·
Im new to the forums so excuse the newbie smell.

I have recently came into a killer deal on a 86 jeep cj7, got it for dirt cheap and have been wheelin it every weekend. Well with all the rain from ike i think
i may have boke something.

After a semi hard day in the mud, a bad grinding noise is comming from the drivetrain,i have it narrowed down to the front axle or the transfer case, im no expert but i think its the front axle over the tcase.

Wheter in 4hi or low it grinds real bad forward or reverse. but when you unlock the hubs the noise all but stops.

I have been trying to find what info i can on the front axle but all the vin decoders i can find only say about the drivetrain.

I read somewhere about a 2 piece front axle? would breaking that be the issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the front axle ujoints are bad. Look in the steering knuckle area (where the knuckle pivots during steering). You'll see the inner axle shaft connected to the outer axle shaft with a univeral joint. Wiggle that around and see if there's any slop in it.. If it's making noise, all the needle bearings are probably orange dust already..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.