Fun CJ7 electrical questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fun CJ7 electrical questions

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Fun CJ7 electrical questions

Hey yall,

Im restoring a 1978 CJ7. I pulled the body from a 1982 Laredo to use on the 78 frame. When I started disassembling the 82's dash, I found a lot of electronics that were not in the 78. Granted, the 82 had a heater coil and other components the 78 didnt have. But I see stuff like a circuit board and some random loose wires, however all the gauge and light wires were in the right place.

Am I right to assume that as long as I have the connections to the gauges, that all the extra parts that arent familiar are all things that were part of the accessories in the 82? My plan is to have a very basic setup in the restored Jeep (no heat, air; I even ripped out the defrost portion from under the dash).

The connection from the engine compartment matches up with the connection to the interior electronics, can I just "plug and play?" Should everything be compatible with the two harnesses?

Thanks

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

I'm not real sure about your wiring question or issue but I also said the same thing about heat and defrost when I did my cj5. I regret not putting heat or defrost ducts in. Early in the mornings or late in the evenings out cruising with a towel to wipe the windshield is a pain! Up to you, I am just passing it on.
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

If you can post pictures of the "heater coil" and other "random loose wires" we can tell you what is what.

Agreed on leaving the defrost , heater, and other stuff in. Its there, there is a place for it, and it doesn't hurt anything to do so.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCJer View Post
Hey yall,

Im restoring a 1978 CJ7. I pulled the body from a 1982 Laredo to use on the 78 frame. When I started disassembling the 82's dash, I found a lot of electronics that were not in the 78. Granted, the 82 had a heater coil and other components the 78 didnt have. But I see stuff like a circuit board and some random loose wires, however all the gauge and light wires were in the right place.

Am I right to assume that as long as I have the connections to the gauges, that all the extra parts that arent familiar are all things that were part of the accessories in the 82? My plan is to have a very basic setup in the restored Jeep (no heat, air; I even ripped out the defrost portion from under the dash).

The connection from the engine compartment matches up with the connection to the interior electronics, can I just "plug and play?" Should everything be compatible with the two harnesses?

Thanks
The 78 firewall plug should be different from the 82. the change happened in late 79. but the 82 should match the opening correctly.
I put an 84 harness in my 76 and it was just plug-n-play for me. I used both the engine compartment harness and the dash harness. It all plug right into the rear.

The only problem I had was the turn signal plug was a little different that I had to get an 84 turn signal switch but come to find out they make an adapter for it now.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
The 78 firewall plug should be different from the 82. the change happened in late 79. but the 82 should match the opening correctly.
I put an 84 harness in my 76 and it was just plug-n-play for me. I used both the engine compartment harness and the dash harness. It all plug right into the rear.

The only problem I had was the turn signal plug was a little different that I had to get an 84 turn signal switch but come to find out they make an adapter for it now.
Thanks for the info, John!

So I was mistaken, its an 84 body.

So here is what I have:
1984 cabin wiring setup with bulkhead all in tact on the 1984 body.
1978 engine wiring setup with the connector to the bulkhead.
1978 cabin wiring setup with bulkhead that was ripped out of the 1978 body.

If I want to keep the 1984 wiring setup in tact on the body, what do I need to do to get the engine wiring to be compatible with the 1984 bulkhead?

Sorry for the confusion, electronics have never been my cup o tea.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You need to find an 84 engine side plug.
You can simply push the connectors out of the 78 connector and plug them into the appropiate slots on the 84 plug.
Very simple to do.

Are you going to use the 84 dash or the 78 dash?
Some of the difference:

1. The heater switch may be different. Not a problem if the heater box is the same on the 78 as on the 84. Use the 84 switch. But since you are using the 84 heater, no problem

2. The Wiper system on the 84 is a 4 wire system with possibly an intermittent wiper. The 78 is a 3 wire wiper system.
This is a big deal as the two are not interchangeable. I would use the 84 -4 wire system if you have it. You can retrofit the 78 Wiper by locating the red power wire and the yellow Washer wire and adding spade terminals to the wires.

3. Radio. Many variables here also.

4. Speedometer has the brake and 4x4 light swapped but easy to switch. Other wiring the same.

5. Oil pressure gauge may be the wrong one for the 78 CJ. Save your old gauge just in case. Wiring is the same

6. Headlight Switch. 78 and 84 headlight switches are incompatible. Keep the 84 headlight switch with the 84 harness.

7. Volt meters are the same.

8. Ignition Switches are the same

9. Tachometer is the same
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
You need to find an 84 engine side plug. You can simply push the connectors out of the 78 connector and plug them into the appropriate slots on the 84 plug.
So push the pins out of this and find a connector compatible with my 84 bulkhead. image-3923058173.jpg
Quote:
Are you going to use the 84 dash or the 78 dash?
84 dash, BUT the 78 steering column, since the 84 was a manual and my 78 is automatic. (Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues)
Quote:
Some of the difference: 1. The heater switch may be different. Not a problem if the heater box is the same on the 78 as on the 84. Use the 84 switch 2. The Wiper system on the 84 is a 4 wire system with possibly an intermittent wiper. The 78 is a 3 wire wiper system. This is a big deal as the two are not interchangeable. I would use the 84 -4 wire system if you have it. You can retrofit the 78 Wiper by locating the red power wire and the yellow Washer wire and adding spade terminals to the wires. 3. Radio. Many variables here also. 4. Speedometer has the brake and 4x4 light swapped but easy to switch. Other wiring the same. 5. Oil pressure gauge may be the wrong one for the 78 CJ. Save your old gauge just in case. Wiring is the same 6. Headlight Switch. 78 and 84 headlight switches are incompatible. Keep the 84 headlight switch with the 84 harness. 7. Volt meters are the same. 8. Ignition Switches are the same 9. Tachometer is the same
1. No heater, no issue
2. I'm not sure what you mean by using spade terminals for the two systems. Here is what ive got: image-3680497660.jpg image-1433233985.jpg
3. No radio issues.
4. So it's as simple as switching the two wires on the back of the Speedometer?
5. 84 gauge has an extra connector? So I can't use the 84 gauge? image-1556399877.jpg
6. I plan on keeping the headlight switch from the 84 in order to have the same connector.
7, 8, and 9. No issues Thank you again for the info!!!

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCJer View Post
So push the pins out of this and find a connector compatible with my 84 bulkhead. Attachment 978002
Yep

Quote:
84 dash, BUT the 78 steering column, since the 84 was a manual and my 78 is automatic. (Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues)
The 78 had the Neutral Safety Switch on the steering column. The 84 had it on the transmission. There is no plug on the 84 harness for that. But it's simple to modify the 84 harness to the 78 NSS. There is also a Kickdown switch, I think is on the gas pedal but I will have to look at an 84 schematic to see how they did that in 84. Not sure if there is a connector for that either in the 84 harness.

I'll look later.

Quote:
1. No heater, no issue

2. I'm not sure what you mean by using spade terminals for the two systems. Here is what ive got:
Attachment 978018 Attachment 978026
That's for the 78 wiper motor I assume. I see 3 wires.
If you need to keep the 3 wire system, then you will have to find the power and washer wire on the 84 harness, cut the wires and attach terminals to connect to the 78 Wiper motor. You will need to use the 78 Wiper switch though.

or

get a wiper motor for the 84 CJ and just plug it into the 84 harness.

Quote:
3. No radio issues.
4. So it's as simple as switching the two wires on the back of the Speedometer?
You just swap the sockets from one side to the other.

Quote:
5. 84 gauge has an extra connector? So I can't use the 84 gauge? Attachment 978042
Nope, use the 78 Gauge. The wires in the harness will still work. It's still only 3 wires.

Quote:
6. I plan on keeping the headlight switch from the 84 in order to have the same connector.
7, 8, and 9. No issues Thank you again for the info!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.